The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 13th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 21st March 2024 at 5:07pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Adobe Flash Player

Discussion about all things technological.
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Adobe Flash Player

Post by Trigger » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:15 pm

According to Adobe’s site my PC shows:”Your Flash Version 24.0.0”. I also looked at their page: “Flash Player Issues | Windows 10 - Internet Explorer: Flash Player is integrated with Internet Explorer in Windows 10. You do not need to install Flash Player.”

So, if it’s “integrated with IE in Windows 10” why are some programs telling me the I need Flash Player when it’s already installed? For example: the BTW Speed Test (which I run on this PC a few times) - “Sorry, you need Flash to play this. Enable it in your browser or download Flash Player here”

Thanks
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Adobe Flash Player

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:29 pm

Which browser are you using? I've just tried that test with Microsoft Edge (my current default) without a problem.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:39 pm

boatbuilder wrote:Which browser are you using? I've just tried that test with Microsoft Edge (my current default) without a problem.
I have also tried it with IE and Chrome - again no problem. If it won't work in any of them for you then it maybe wise to have a word with your computer supplier as he's local.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:56 pm

This is simple - if you know the answer!
When Flash is integrated with your particular browser, whether it be IE Edge Chrome etc, this means that all websites shown in your browser will show Flash - in theory. In practise, some websites are old, and cannot recognise latest Flash versions, thinking instead you don't have Flash at all. However, some computer programs don't use an actual browser but their own application window, and therefore if they need Flash to run it will not be active, and this is why you need Flash installed separately. Adobe's answer to this is Adobe AIR, which is supposed to be safe secure version of Flash; but this relies on other software developers using AIR and many don't - and some software is older than AIR and therefore naturally will not use it.

So, you need to have the Flash plugins for all of your browsers - each of which has it's own plugin, plus Adobe Flash downloaded direct from Adobe and installed, and Adobe AIR installed also from Adobe website. Plus Shockwave which is a similar technology also developed and available from Adobe, which is old technology but some websites still use it. Not forgetting of course Microsoft's attempt at a rival, Silverlight, still used by some sites even though Microsoft admitted defeat some years ago.

Does that help?!
:)

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:50 pm

Myself, I've never experienced problems with Flash, irrespective of the Windows versions or browsers I've used. Silverlight is the one that has given problems in the past, particularly with Sky who use that for their TV streaming with Sky Go. As Google no longer supports Silverlight you can't use the Sky Go service in their Chrome browser.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:38 am

boatbuilder wrote:Which browser are you using? I've just tried that test with Microsoft Edge (my current default) without a problem.
Sorry I didn't mention the browser - though I did mention the OS! :D I'm using IE11 (I know I'm an old stick-in-the-mud!) - but I know that since I've had this PC - 11/11/16) I've played such videos without a problem. Methinks it'll be best for me to visit Northbridge.
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 am

amansin wrote:This is simple - if you know the answer!:)
Obviously! :lol: But thanks for the explanation - Ill re-read it later - when I have a large coffee and hopefully I'll be more awake!