The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Computer Chat

Discussion about all things technological.
nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: Computer Chat

Post by nikkai » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:50 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

boatbuilder wrote:Now we KNOW who wears the pants in your house. :roll:
I think I can reply to this in some way
Yes she does wear the pants (I don't wear any! and haven't since I were 13) though there is rhyme to my reason when you give the impression of power then the receiver of that impression is less of an obstructionist
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:18 pm

It took you a while to spot that post of mine, nikkai. You'd already posted once since then. :D
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:56 pm

Err I blame this change in my viewing :lol:
Steven Covey

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:03 pm

nikkai wrote:Err I blame this change in my viewing :lol:
You can change it back again now. :D

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:06 pm

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Thank you BB :lol:
Steven Covey

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:29 pm

I decided to buy some web design software as all the free download ones seem to have their limitations and strings attached, even the one which comes with the hosting account for this forum. One of the free ones I downloaded would only let you upload your creations to their own website (for free) but I want to use the servers I already use so I decided to order some software from Amazon yesterday and it arrived late this afternoon.

I started to install it just before 7-pm this evening and after installing, it has to be registered online with the serial number supplied with it and which has to be done as the program opens up for the first time before you can use it. Sounds easy enough but having entered the serial number, which it accepted, followed by my email address and clicking the 'Register' button, it started the registration process with a spinning wheel showing in the screen for a few seconds and then froze. Eventually the computer told me the program was not responding so I waited for a while and when nothing more happened I closed it down and tried again. This happened a couple more times before I decided to do some cleaning (registry and files using CCleaner) and rebooting the computer. I then tried again, but once more to no avail. I then decided to take 'drastic action' and uninstalled the program and then did a custom install, rather than the standard one that was ticked by default, which then gave me the option to decline another application included with it which I had let it install first time round. After the re-install it went into the registration mode so, holding my breath, once again and for the fifth time this evening, I typed in the 36-digit serial number followed by my email address and clicked 'Register'. I waited and the 'wheel' spun around and continued to spin and ..... IT WORKED! dancer1

That was about two and a half hours later at 9-30pm. It would have been going back tomorrow had it not worked then. :evil:

I know have a 416-page PDF manual to wade through when I can find the time. :roll:

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:51 pm

:lol: you mean to tell us that YOU READ THE MANUALS ..... :lol:
Steven Covey

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:31 pm

nikkai wrote::lol: you mean to tell us that YOU READ THE MANUALS ..... :lol:
Only when I need to. :D

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:41 am

I have MacAfee security on my laptop and on average a full scan takes four hours which is long enough. This morning it took four and half hours, does anyone else have MacAfee and is this a normal time for their scan?
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:13 pm

I also have McAfee, and I suppose it all depends on how much your hard drive has on it. I don't really notice. However, I have just started a full scan at 12-00 noon and will let you now the details later when finished. I will be using the computer at the same time no doubt, as I am now, and whether or not that affects it I don't know.

Just for info, I have a 1-TB Hard Drive of which 380-GB of an apparent 921-GB is in use. I also have an external drive connected of which 126-GB of 232-GB is in use.

Watch this space!!

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:20 pm

If you think four and a half hours is long Dave, how does six and a half hours-plus sound? I took the first two images (screenshots) showing the clock as I was away from the computer between the times shown. The scan actually finished at 6-35 pm (third image). It had scanned both the 'C' drive and the 'F' drive (the external one) - a total of 436,000+ files. I was using the computer on and off during the afternoon and it was slowing me down whilst the scan was running, and probably me doing the same for 'it'. :roll: :D
Scan1.jpg
Scan2.jpg
Scan4.JPG
Scan4.JPG (34.11 KiB) Viewed 944 times

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:07 pm

Thanks for that, boatbuilder, I wondered if I had a problem but a McAfee scan must be very thorough. I suppose I shouldn't grumble if that's the case, with two drives to scan yours must take longer than mine. I know a scan slows the computer down if it's being used at the same time so I usually start it when I get up in the morning. By the time all the routine jobs are done so is the scan.
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:18 pm

I only occasionally run a full scan. I have the Real Time scanning set to 'on' which scans all files as they are used by me or the computer. More often than not I only run the 'Quick scan'.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:10 pm

H-E-L-P!! Sallied forth and took a number of photos – too many as my camera seems to be stuck on taking 5 images each press of the shutter! :roll:
However, when the images are being downloaded in Picasa it stops about halfway with a message to the effect that it’s unable to download the images – basically indicating the SD card is corrupted! Tried using W10 app - and the same thing occurs. I presume that this the equivalent of the “blue screen of death”!
Advice/guidance would be much appreciated.
Thanks
PS Card is SanDisk 8gb.
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:02 pm

Trigger, just a couple of things that might give a pointer to the problem as you haven't mentioned these:
Do all the pictures play back in the camera? If not then it is likely some form of corruption to the card.
Also, rather than trying to download them to the computer, can the card be read in File Manager, or is that what you are doing when you say 'Tried using W10 app'?
As far as the camera being stuck on taking 5 pictures at a time. Check your multi-burst settings which you might have inadvertently changed without realising.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:55 am

bb: Thanks for your comments – appreciated. All the photos play back in the camera – just tried it! Re my comment that the camera’s “stuck” on “5 images at a time” – clarification: it’s only “stuck” if someone forgets to cancel it (sorry!). RE: W10 App – yes, I tried that and got the same result as Picasa – when I used PC today, I found that those images were saved that app – whereas Picasa doesn’t save them - just shuts down! So, I’ve managed to save those all (about two-thirds) to the Memory stick – just hope I can manage to save the rest! Will get a new USB card reader (had mine quite a few years now!) and also a new SD card. I’ve posted one of the photos in ‘Trees and Flowers’.
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking