The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Computer Chat

Discussion about all things technological.
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: Computer Chat

Post by Trigger » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:55 am

Latest post of the previous page:

bb: Thanks for your comments – appreciated. All the photos play back in the camera – just tried it! Re my comment that the camera’s “stuck” on “5 images at a time” – clarification: it’s only “stuck” if someone forgets to cancel it (sorry!). RE: W10 App – yes, I tried that and got the same result as Picasa – when I used PC today, I found that those images were saved that app – whereas Picasa doesn’t save them - just shuts down! So, I’ve managed to save those all (about two-thirds) to the Memory stick – just hope I can manage to save the rest! Will get a new USB card reader (had mine quite a few years now!) and also a new SD card. I’ve posted one of the photos in ‘Trees and Flowers’.
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:03 pm

Trigger wrote: Will get a new USB card reader (had mine quite a few years now!)
Instead of using a card reader Trigger, can you not download your pictures straight to the PC from your camera. There is sometimes a USB lead that you can use that comes with the camera.
My Flickr pictures look here

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:47 pm

Mel wrote: Instead of using a card reader Trigger, can you not download your pictures straight to the PC from your camera. There is sometimes a USB lead that you can use that comes with the camera.
Good thinking! Biggest problem is using three different cameras! Unless,of course, there's a Universal USB lead! :)
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:51 pm

Trigger wrote:Biggest problem is using three different cameras!
I use three different cameras Trigger...and sadly you are correct, no universal lead, I have to use three different ones :roll: :cry:
My Flickr pictures look here

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:37 am

Mel wrote: I use three different cameras Trigger...and sadly you are correct, no universal lead, I have to use three different ones :roll: :cry:
If I only had one camera I'd still be confused! Got enough problems trying to figure out the Smart TV which has 2 remotes - the standard one plus one you talk to! 8-)

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by kerch » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:45 am

I keep chargers/ cables in small plastic bags one for each camera .

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:20 am

kerch wrote:I keep chargers/ cables in small plastic bags one for each camera .
That's because you're organised, kerch! Some people aren't. :roll:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:12 pm

I recently invested in an Apple iPad Pro 12.9". I still have to use the Windows laptop for many things, but tonight I was looking at what I have stored on my BT Cloud and noticed a file format I have never come across before against some image files that are stored from the iPad. The file format is HEIC and when I checked this out I discovered that is a new file format that has been developed for images which enables them to be stored using about half as much memory as the JPEG format. This format has been introduced with the latest iOS 11 on iPads and iPhones (where upgradeable to this operating system - my iPhone 5 doesn't upgrade beyond 10.3.3). Whilst this format is not yet compatible with Windows image viewers, they can be converted to JPEGS when necessary and the iOS 11 seems to do this when required.

If you want to read more there is some information about it here:
https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/iphone/what-is-heic-3660408/
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

seagull
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by seagull » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:05 pm

Last week had go on settings just turning WiFi on andyou have list who else in area andlocked.This timehowever is address Dave’s got you WiFi it was up few seconds before I realised they using proxy server which remained for few seconds to my knowledge could been longer as I notbeen on settings for few weeks.
All a worry as 1000gone from my bank account my card kept saying error then my credit card said I excelled my limit when only spent 5quid on amazon so I gave son my details and he tried get my stuff and something or some one took 400quid from his bank3days in row 1200 quid the only link is my bank numbers.I got see bank fraud bloke this week.i meant to put virus ware on as come end of its year.I have been on iffy site I don’t know if correlation if it aimed people in lowerstoft or general country.this why I never use inter net for buying stuff but had no choice for what I wanted.I think I been hacked.i taking my iPad to bank

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:12 pm

You should be involving these people, seagull: http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:28 pm

If anyone has a Windows update to be downloaded give it loads of time to complete. I went to shut down last night and saw the 'Update & Restart' and 'Update & Shut Down' messages, being late I turned off and went to bed. If I'd decided to download the update I'd have been up till about four this morning. I Googled 'Windows latest update very slow' and saw lots of people saying they were having a problem as well. Theirs might have been a different update to mine but if so it's quite a coincidence. Mine took about four hours, some people's were taking so long they gave up.
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:20 pm

I did mine a few nights ago Dave. It was after midnight (about 12-30 I think) when I went to shut the computer down and noticed that it said there were updates and a choice to either shut down and install or shut down without installing. I opted for the first one as I was planning on going to bed. It did say when it started that they may take a while. However, after about an hour or so and the screen having gone blank (black) for about 20 minutes I was getting concerned that it had stuck so waited another 5 minutes with nothing else happening and so decided to take a chance and risk a hard switch off. I then switched it back on again and it eventually said it was trying to recover, or something like that, and eventually recommenced the update from about 30% (it had been higher than that first time around). Eventually it got up to 90% so I decided to leave it to itself at about 3-30 am, go to bed and hope for the best.
When I got up later the computer had gone into sleep mode so I woke it and logged in and it finished the configuration and rebooted again and after logging in again it gave the browser window telling me about all the new things.
I was just thankful that my switching it off didn't appear to have any adverse effect, other than maybe prolonging the update.
I do still wonder though if it had stuck before I switched it off, or not? :think:

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:23 pm

My new iPad was delivered about 10:20 today - so am a Happy Chappie! It’s the Gold version of course - though I can’t find where it’s marked as being 18 carat!

Very pleased so far - much faster, unlocked by finger print, Siri to nag me - what more can .I ask for? And this being written on the aforementioned device!

PS Has anyone used the Google app on their iPad? It’s supposed to be better with the app! :D

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:30 pm

I can assure you it’s not 18 carat Trigger, in fact it’s not even ONE! ‘Tis the same as mine and my wife’s Probably coloured with carotene. :D

PS I avoid Google as much as I can so ‘no’ to that question.

Incidentally your operating system is not yet up to date. You’re on 11.2.1 the latest is 11.2.6

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:49 pm

boatbuilder wrote:
Incidentally your operating system is not yet up to date. You’re on 11.2.1 the latest is 11.2.6
I did know there's an update - 160.9MB - but will do that on another day!

Meryl
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Meryl » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:25 am

I have 2 old routers which need to be recycled. Is there a need to destroy any personal info or don't they hold anything?