The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 13th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 21st March 2024 at 5:07pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Computer & Technology News

Discussion about all things technological.
morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: Computer & Technology News

Post by morty1753 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:35 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Aussie K wrote:I Purchased a new Apple pro laptop
Just bought one also, nice aren't they :D
I before E except after C - That's weird

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Post by Suffolkboy » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:30 pm

Aussie K wrote: my intention is if the opportunity arise to take it into the apple shop and ask them to sort it out. That is free by the way.
I would add that at Apple Store in Norwich they are very accommodating,polite and quick to solve any difficulties we have had (two) and yes at no cost. Once when the laptop was hacked and frozen up asking for £50 to unfreeze - Apple guy dealt with the problem in less than 4 minutes. Latest problem with emails not opening took a little longer,nevertheless the experience was pleasant particularly as I was blamed for them not opening so was quite relieved when the better halve could get to her emails once again. :roll: :)
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:34 am

The strap turning your hand into a phone

A strap that effectively turns one of your fingers into a phone - which can send and receive calls - has been developed.
It works by sending vibrations down the wearer’s hand and can be fitted to a watch.

BBC Click's Marc Cieslak reports from the CES tech show in Las Vegas.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:20 pm

Err that just sounds a little OTT. but that being said I have a watch which IS a phone as well !
it can make / receive calls and txt and surf the web etc. the only thing is with my poor eyes I would have to have a magnifying glass to see the pages.:lol:
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:36 pm

nikkai wrote:Err that just sounds a little OTT. but that being said I have a watch which IS a phone as well !
Ah! but does it tell the time? :lol:

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:20 pm

Err yes it can as well as display it
I don't have many of the quirky things it can do turned on as it is a watch for work ! I can answer a call without fumbling in my pocket for a phone and see txt's if I need to. then with a push of a button (easily found) I can see the time and date and a list of msg's if there are any but mostly it's used for the time (alarms set for tea-break and lunch :lol: )
Steven Covey

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:21 pm

Oh forgot to a add it is one ugly lump of plastic and rubber :lol: :D :lol:
Steven Covey

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:40 pm

Microsoft patches serious Word bug 'targeted by scammers'

A bug in Word apparently targeted by scammers trying to steal banking logins will be patched, Microsoft has said.
The previously undetected, or "zero-day", vulnerability had been reported over the weekend.
Then, on 10 April, cybersecurity firm Proofpoint announced it had discovered an email campaign targeting the bug that aimed to distributed Dridex malware.
Dridex is designed to infect a victim's computer and snoop on banking logins.
In 2015, it was cited as the means by which cyber-attackers stole more than £20m from British bank accounts.
The flaw discovered in many versions of Microsoft Word for Windows could allow malicious software, including Dridex, to be installed, according to cybersecurity researchers.
Microsoft did not confirm whether Mac versions of Word were also affected.
A scam email campaign was found to be distributing Microsoft Word RTF [Rich Text Format] documents to recipients that contained Dridex.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39563965

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:34 pm

Adobe to kill off Flash plug-in by 2020

Adobe Systems has said that it plans to phase out its Flash Player plug-in by the end of 2020.
The technology was once one of the most widely used ways for people to watch video clips and play games online.
But it also attracted much criticism, particularly as flaws in its code meant it became a popular way for hackers to infect computers.
In recent years, much of its functionality has been offered by the rival HTML5 technology.
One of HTML5's benefits is that it can be used to make multimedia content available within webpages without requiring users to install and update a dedicated plug-in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40716304

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:56 pm

Giant spambot scooped up 711 million email addresses

A malware researcher has discovered a spamming operation that has been drawing on a list of 711.5 million email addresses.
The scale of the scheme appears to make it the biggest find of its kind.
The addresses - and in some cases associated passwords - have apparently been gathered to help spread banking malware.
Members of the public can check if their accounts have been affected via the Have I Been Pwned service.
Its operator, Troy Hunt, acknowledged that some of the listed addresses corresponded to non-existent accounts.
But he added that the number that had been collated still totalled a "mind-boggling amount".

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41095606

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:15 am

Yahoo 2013 data breach hit 'all three billion accounts'

Yahoo has said that all of its three billion user accounts were affected in a hacking attack dating back to 2013.
The company, which was taken over by Verizon earlier this year, said an investigation had shown the breach went much further than originally thought.
The stolen data did not include passwords in clear text, payment card or bank account data, it added.
Previously the internet giant had said "more than one billion" of its accounts had been hit.
Yahoo said that while its latest announcement did not represent a new "security issue" it was sending emails to all the "additional affected user accounts".
The company added that it was "continuing to work closely with law enforcement".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41493494

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:54 pm

Wi-fi security flaw 'puts devices at risk of hacks'

The wi-fi connections of businesses and homes around the world are at risk, according to researchers who have revealed a major flaw dubbed Krack.
It concerns an authentication system which is widely used to secure wireless connections.
Experts said it could leave "the majority" of connections at risk until they are patched.
The researchers added the attack method was "exceptionally devastating" for Android 6.0 or above and Linux.
A Google spokesperson said: "We're aware of the issue, and we will be patching any affected devices in the coming weeks."
The US Computer Emergency Readiness Team (Cert) has issued a warning on the flaw.
"US-Cert has become aware of several key management vulnerabilities in the four-way handshake of wi-fi protected access II (WPA2) security protocol," it said.
"Most or all correct implementations of the standard will be affected."
Computer security expert from the University of Surrey Prof Alan Woodward said: "This is a flaw in the standard, so potentially there is a high risk to every single wi-fi connection out there, corporate and domestic.
"The risk will depend on a number of factors including the time it takes to launch an attack and whether you need to be connected to the network to launch one, but the paper suggests that an attack is relatively easy to launch.
"It will leave the majority of wi-fi connections at risk until vendors of routers can issue patches."
Industry body the Wi-Fi Alliance said that it was working with providers to issue software updates to patch the flaw.
"This issue can be resolved through straightforward software updates and the wi-fi industry, including major platform providers, has already started deploying patches to wi-fi users.
"Users can expect all their wi-fi devices, whether patched or unpatched, to continue working well together."
It added that there was "no evidence" that the vulnerability had been exploited maliciously.
Tech giant Microsoft said that it had already released a security update.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41635516

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:08 am

Meltdown and Spectre: All Mac devices affected says Apple

Apple has said that all iPhones, iPads and Mac computers are affected by two major flaws in computer chips.
It emerged this week that tech companies have been racing to fix the Meltdown and Spectre bugs, that could allow hackers to steal data.
Apple said it had already released some patches but there was no evidence that the vulnerability had been exploited.
But it advised only downloading software from trusted sources to avoid "malicious" apps.
Mac users have often believed that their devices and operating systems are less vulnerable to security issues than, for example Android phones or computers running Microsoft systems.
But the Meltdown and Spectre flaws are found in all modern computer processing units - or microchips - made by Intel and ARM, and together the firms supply almost the entire global computer market.
"All Mac systems and iOS devices are affected, but there are no known exploits impacting customers at this time," Apple said in blog post on the issue.
"These issues apply to all modern processors and affect nearly all computing devices and operating systems."
Apple said that it had already released "mitigations" against Meltdown in its latest iPhones and iPad operating system update - iOS 11.2 and the macOS 10.12.2 for its MacBooks and iMacs.
Meltdown does not affect the Apple Watch, it said, as the bug was an issue with Intel processors which are not contained in that device.
Patches against Spectre, in the form of an update to web browser Safari, will be released "in the coming days".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42575033

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:28 am

Amazon opens a supermarket with no checkouts

In a move that could revolutionise the way we buy groceries, Amazon opens its first supermarket without checkouts - human or self-service - to shoppers on Monday.
Amazon Go, in Seattle, has been tested by staff for the past year.
It uses an array of ceiling-mounted cameras to identify each customer and track what items they select, eliminating the need for billing.
Purchases are billed to customers' credit cards when they leave the store.
Before entering, shoppers must scan the Amazon Go smartphone app. Sensors on the shelves add items to the bill as customers pick them up - and deletes any they put back.
The store opened to employees of the online retail giant in December 2016 and had been expected to allow the public in more quickly.
But there were some teething problems with correctly identifying shoppers of similar body types - and children moving items to the wrong places on shelves, according to an Amazon insider.

Full Story

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:27 pm

'Cut', 'Copy' and 'Paste' is something we all use on our computers and probably take for granted as just one of those everyday commands that is extremely useful. (I even used it whilst writing the last sentence as I decided to change how I wrote it).

It has been reported that Larry Tesler, a computer scientist who worked in Silicon Valley from the early 1960's and was the man behind that innovation, has died at the age of 74.

You can read more about him HERE