The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Internet Browsers

Discussion about all things technological.
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Internet Browsers

Post by Trigger » Thu May 07, 2015 2:45 pm

Help! I’m using IE11 (Titter ye not!) and, whilst I’ve tried other browsers, I prefer IE - well, someone’s got to use it! Unfortunately, I’ve now come up against a problem with it! I want to place an order with Amazon. I had to change my password - and that’s accepted, then asks me to type in “The letters and numbers shown.” This I do - but then it gives me another set to type in. I did this a number of times - with the same results. I phoned Amazon and, after talking with them, they confirmed that my email address and password are OK - but, for some reason their system is refusing the “numbers and letters” part - and he suggested trying a different browser.

Before doing that, I reset IE1 (got the instructions from MS) - rebooted - but to no avail - it remains the same! So I’ll have to try Chrome (aarghh!). My question is- as I’ll have to reset my emails settings for Chrome- via my ISP’s site - can I also keep my IE settings for emails as well? Any advice will be gratefully accepted!

Just remembered that yesterday, I had problems with online banking (yes, there was enough money in there!) - had to do “live chat” - and the advisor recommended changing browsers! Perhaps I’ll use a carrier pigeon instead!
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Internet Browsers

Post by boatbuilder » Thu May 07, 2015 2:58 pm

Trigger, I was having that 'Captcha' thing where you have to type in the letters coming up the other day with Amazon but it wasn't on IE, as I use Chrome myself. However, it only happened a couple of times and didn't stop me getting onto the site. I have just tried with my IE11 and logged on to Amazon, no problem.

Not sure what you're asking about the email though. Surely if you are using webmail then you just log on through whatever browser you are using. I don't use the webmail but get all my emails from numerous accounts including the MyLowestoft ones into Windows Live Mail.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu May 07, 2015 4:00 pm

Thanks for the reply BB. Certainly can’t get beyond the “captcha” (that’s the word!) thingy - so if you can get in to Amazon using IE11 - and I can’t that suggests favouritism or my PC’s on the blink!! Have downloaded Chrome and tried to get into Amazon - with exactly the same result!

Sorry about confusing you with the email question - if I can’t understand it you shouldn’t expect to! Just leave that bit out - it’s easier!

Have just tried Amazon again on Chrome . . . signed in to My Account . . with the same result! Have changed my password again and have had the confirmatory email from them. But with the same results! It’s saying there’s a problem with the email address / password combination - yet I’ve double-checked everything as I type it in - and using new password. Image Think I’ll go and watch TV to calm down - so I’ll watch Jeremy Kyle!
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu May 07, 2015 4:15 pm

That all sounds strange to me. You didn't by any chance have the Caps Lock on for all or part of the password when you changed it? Have you tried it on your iPad? I think you have one don't you? Maybe try clearing your cache and a reboot.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu May 07, 2015 10:07 pm

Tried the ipad - but with the same result! sadface4
Having given this matter a bit more thought since your advice . .. (in my simplistic terms!)

Realising that when putting in my current email address, the previous one pops up occasionally! Whilst I initially thought Amazon was to blame, I started wondering if the “problem” could be in IE on my PC - it regularly asks you want to save passwords, etc for you. That started me needing to find where it’s held. Googled me question and was pointed in the right direction - MS’s “Manage Stored Passwords” - “User Accounts” and eventually got to “Windows Vault”. There I found listed my previous email address - defunct some three years although my current “address” isn’t there.
So my questions are: a) can I safely remove delete that old address from the Vault? And
b) I assume that my current password will be unaffected by this.

My old email address was actually a personalised domain name which sent it to my “real” email address with my ISP.

PS Amazon's reply simply referred me to their Technical Support.

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Thu May 07, 2015 10:48 pm

Trigger wrote:Tried the ipad - but with the same result! sadface4
Having given this matter a bit more thought since your advice . .. (in my simplistic terms!)

Realising that when putting in my current email address, the previous one pops up occasionally! Whilst I initially thought Amazon was to blame, I started wondering if the “problem” could be in IE on my PC - it regularly asks you want to save passwords, etc for you. That started me needing to find where it’s held. Googled me question and was pointed in the right direction - MS’s “Manage Stored Passwords” - “User Accounts” and eventually got to “Windows Vault”. There I found listed my previous email address - defunct some three years although my current “address” isn’t there.
So my questions are: a) can I safely remove delete that old address from the Vault? And
b) I assume that my current password will be unaffected by this.

My old email address was actually a personalised domain name which sent it to my “real” email address with my ISP.

PS Amazon's reply simply referred me to their Technical Support.

Hi there Trigger.
You can delete all the entries in the vault
They are only associated with the sites they are linked to some times these links get broken and give problems. You will get asked again if you want to save the PW for the site etc.
Clear out the vault and also do your history and cookies then redo your PW for what sites you want to have

I do mine about twice a year just to clear out the old stuff
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu May 07, 2015 11:14 pm

I suggest you follow nikkai's advice - I don't think I can help you on this one anyway, Trigger. I store all my passwords in my Norton Vault which I access through my Norton Security Software. Surely if you type in a username(email address) and a password on Amazon's website that is correct, it should automatically over-ride anything that has been auto-filled. I can do that with any that are auto-filled by my Norton Vault. It will then ask me if I want to replace the old log-in or create a new (additional) one, or not to store it at all. If, for reasons I won't go into, I have multiple ones for a website then it gives me a choice when I want to log in.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri May 08, 2015 11:37 am

Thanks very much for all the help and advice with this problem - and I realise that there’s only so far we can go with it.

I phoned Amazon - 0800 496 1081 - and, after listening to a few minutes of their ads, I eventually spoke to a very helpful young lady and I told her what was happening and that accessing “My Account” now displays my old email address - changed some three years ago! She told me that I need to clear the cookies from my PC. That’s where my old email details are coming from.
Went through the cookie deletion process (I was disappointed that the Cookie Monster didn’t appear!) - then an IE pop-up popped up to say that it had deleted all cookies, browsing history etc. etc. Rebooted the PC, then went to the Amazon (I wish!) - opened My Account - and the old email address is still there. Amazon sent me details on how to delete cookies, browsing history, etc, but it didn’t tell me anymore that I already knew. The only phrase therein that might be relevant to the problem is “It may be that cookie management or file utility software is causing the difficulty” - whatever that means!! I also - on the login page reset my email address to the new one. Open it again and the old one’s still there!

I also deleted my old email address from the vault - and rebooted again. All to no avail! So I think we’ve done all we can do - other than throwing my PC off the bridge into the murky waters! Think I’ll have to phone an engineer and ask if it’s something he feels ha can do. If not . . . I’ll have to see if I can shop elsewhere!

And I thought PCs were going to make every faster and easier to do!! :?

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri May 08, 2015 12:57 pm

It all sounds very strange Trigger. As I said you should be able to over-write the login details (email & password) on the normal Amazon log-in page.

That is what I have done here in this image where my login details appeared (the orange background on the first image is to do with my Norton Auto-fill) I have over-written with a fake email address and password. This was in Chrome but it's also the same in IE as I tried it.
With my Norton Auto-fill turned on
With my Norton Auto-fill turned on
The second image below was after I tried it with my Norton Auto-fill turned off and as Windows filled it in with what was stored in its memory, I was able to over-write it again.
With my Norton Auto-fill turned off
With my Norton Auto-fill turned off
If you are able to do this and Amazon won't let you log in then it must be something wrong at Amazon and not your computer where the email/password you are entering don't agree with what is stored at Amazon. I doubt it's anything to do with cookies as, as far as I know, log-in details aren't stored there, except after you log in to a site and don't log out when you leave as you can on this site when you tick the box to keep you logged in. That happens because the site places a cookie on your computer that remains there for the duration until you either physically log out or you clear your cookies and cache which you say you did.

I hope I've explained that clearly.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri May 08, 2015 3:47 pm

boatbuilder wrote:It all sounds very strange Trigger. As I said you should be able to over-write the login details (email & password) on the normal Amazon log-in page.

I hope I've explained that clearly.
Yes - well done! :D Thank you for making me smile! I've just had nearly an hour on the phone to Amazon - thank goodness it's an 0800 number - probably to the USA. The first person I spoke to we went over the same thing so many times . . . I've had 8 emails from her in 22 minutes! I ended up not knowing whether I'm punched. bored or counter-sunk! Then she got someone else - Kurt, a technical person! The problem there was that his voice wasn't clear - rather muffled. So, in the end I had explain that I could understand him because of the distortion - so we had to end the call. But, as the same problem exists on my iPad (which I told him) this suggests it's at their end. He didn't respond.

I have gone through the "change your password" so many times - and also with my password - that I think I'm slowly losing the will to live!! But thanks for your (and nikkai's) advice - it's greatly appreciated. Think I'll have to shop elsewhere!

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri May 08, 2015 3:54 pm

There is one VERY simple solution, Trigger. Try opening a new account with them. You might need another new email address but you can always get one of those.

edit: I just went on to the Amazon site and had a look at the page that comes up if you say you have forgotten your password and I noticed that their is also a mention on there if you no longer use the email address associated with your account about contacting their customer services so I can't understand why they can't resolve it for you. As you said, it's the same on your iPad so it MUST be at their end that the problem lies. If you are anything like me, you won't give up until you get to the bottom of it. Image

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sat May 09, 2015 11:45 am

It’s sorted! Phoned (one last time) and spoke to Edison. I told him the basics of my sad tale (spread on thickly with a trowel!) - and his response was “I know exactly what the problem and we can sort it out now.” We went to the Home page - and went through the process of putting in the new email address - my “current” address (although I have sent up a totally new one ready as you recommended BB). There was no mention of cookies or anything like that.

I may go back and put my new email address in - or perhaps that would be tempting fate! Then I had an email asking me to rate the “service” I had received - which I did as follows:
“This has not been a very happy process from the beginning of this problem. I have been told various remedies; I’ve changed my password at least five times, and deleted all cookies/history a couple of times I’ve spoken to four or five different people. All to no avail! My call today was the “kill or cure” one - if it wasn’t sorted quickly this time, I will never purchase anything from you again.

Fortunately for Amazon and me, I spoke to the very best person - Edison - who assured me he knew exactly what to do - he did and that’s what happened. It’s just a pity that all of your staff are not up to Edison’s high standard. In my honest opinion this should have been sorted on my very first call to you.
I am not prepared to give star ratings to the service up until yesterday - as it would have been 0/5 for each one. Edison’s approach was very professional . . . . it was a pleasure to speak to him. So as a result of dealing with Edison my star rating is changed and applies ONLY to his dealing with the matter - in each category its 5/5. I just hope that Edison will be made aware of my comments.
So, to Edison at Amazon Customer Services I award: Image

And - once again - my thanks for the help and advice given on here.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat May 09, 2015 1:11 pm

Glad you finally got it sorted, Trigger. I've still got an ongoing problem with them where two tracks are missing from an auto-rip of an album I purchased a week ago. Fortunately I have the 'hard' copy of the album so it's only if I want to stream the music from Amazon on music player that I don't get those two tracks. I emailed them again last night with the priority '!' mark and they actually responded fairly quickly to that email after I received the automated response. My previous email two days earlier which was in reply to one of theirs, only resulted in the automated one - hence the reason I emailed them again yesterday. Anyway they assure me that the problem WILL be resolved but may be a few more days. We shall have to wait and see. :roll: