The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Email problem

Discussion about all things technological.
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Email problem

Post by Trigger » Sat May 23, 2015 11:01 am

I receive a weekly email- Blog from a photographer which includes a few “Inserted” photos. In the last two blogs the photos aren’t there - just a blank area with a little red cross in the top left corner - where the picture should be!
Obviously, they’re being blocked - and the immediate suspect is my email program - MS Outlook 2007. I’ve opened the email and clicked on Tools - and there I espied a heading: Trust Centre. Clicked on that and “Automatic Download” - “You can control whether Outlook automatically downloads and displays pictures when you open an HTML email”. The box beside “Don’t download pictures automatically - etc” isn’t ticked - so it’s being blocked elsewhere.
Any advice/comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks

UPDATE @ 13:43 - I've just checked through the recent MS updates (there's been a lot recently!) and that shows there was an update for MS Office Outlook 2007 Junk Mail Filter (K2986252) - classified as “Important” which was installed 13 May. I’ve received two of these email Blogs since then - both times the photos have been blocked. Coincidence? :?:
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Email problem

Post by nikkai » Sat May 23, 2015 9:12 pm

Hi there Trigger,
You say that the images are being blocked which is possible though I would first look at your firewall and anti-virus settings as they could also be stopping the files being shown as they could be seeing the as unusual format to mail.
If your MS Outlook is stopping the files then you should be able to enter the your junk mail settings and select to allow content from your trusted sender, it may even need your authority to permit auto down load of the image files.
It has been a long time since I have used Outlook, I now use live mail as it is a smaller program which I find fits my use better as I did not require the diary, events and the other added on bits n bobs, I will see if my old laptop will boot up which has Outlook on it then I may see if there is a more clearer help for you.
There is F1 which you can use to interrogate your own system and ask it it can assist you in changing the actions you have encountered with the program and the down loading of images
Is it just the one blog which is giving the problem?
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sun May 24, 2015 6:17 am

Thanks for reply nikkai - much appreciated.
My assumption about the images being blocked on this email is due to the fact that I receive an email (including photos) from this person every week (and have done for a long time) - and see the pictures. This “problem” of not them being viewable started with the previous one.
My comments about ‘Outlook’ being the culprit is, of course, guess-work! I did take a cursory glance into the depths of my Internet Security program - but was truly out of my depth. I’ll continue to stumble around the problem - I’m attempting to learn more about my PC but - perhaps it’s “a bit late in the day”! I’ve copied your reply - and will attack the problem later!
I’ll also re-assess my email needs/programs - and see if a change needs to be done.
John
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sun May 24, 2015 6:39 am

Trigger wrote: I’ll continue to stumble around the problem - I’m attempting to learn more about my PC but - perhaps it’s “a bit late in the day”!
I certainly know where you are coming from there Trigger those are my sentiments also. I cannot no matter how I try understand or solve any technical issues with my computer...if re-booting doesn't work I am lost; I visit parts of my computer I have never ever seen before with lists of boxes that need to be ticked or un-ticked and I know I shouldn't but in my frustration I start ticking or un-ticking these boxes until I can't remember what they were like before I started messing about with them. Luckily I have never done any serious damage but I am always thankful for the likes of Nikkai, Boatbuilder and Mr. Google who are often saviours in times of crisis.
My Flickr pictures look here

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sun May 24, 2015 6:57 am

Thanks Mel! I often think I am just a voice in the wilderness! Or perhaps just very confused.com! Thanks goodness for forums like this and, as you say, people on here who do know - and who offer help when they can! As I mentioned, the regular emails I receive I've been able to see the photos - now, suddenly, no photos - just the space where they should be! But, heigh-ho! at least I can read the text! :D

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sun May 31, 2015 8:16 am

Further to this on-going saga: Signed up for Windows Live Messenger and all gets done - eventually! Today, I login-in to see if there are any messages. Up pops a message: “A newer version is available. You must install the newer version in order to continue. Would you like to do this now?” So, I click “Yes” - then up pops another message! “Get Skype for Windows Desktop”. But, I don’t want Skype! Aargh!

Attachments
Skype1.jpg

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Sun May 31, 2015 10:18 am

Ah yes the fabulous MS they want you to use ALL of their stuff so that you get bombarded with even more "good things?"
You dont have to install SKYPE
At the moment there is a trace pathway within your installation of windows live though once you are fully running you can enter your mail options and sort out what you do or o not want it to do.

Also you can go into other area's of your system and turn OFF skype so that is does not even run in the background (there is a lot of programs that even if you don't use them will have some bits 'running' in the background of your computer.

I'm sure we can help if you need assistance.

edit: had to put (n's & o's ) where missing (must get a new keyboard on this laptop!!)
Steven Covey

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sun May 31, 2015 10:57 am

Thanks nikkai - your response is much appreciated. Seriously think that the easiest solution for me will be to cancel my "subscription" to this particular mailing list. Trying to find the root of the "problem" is probably equivalent to me taking my car into the Garage and, when they ask me what the problem is - my response is something like "Well, there's a knocking noise coming from the back"! Right . . that could be anything!! Computers . . . when they're good, they're very, very, good and when they're not - they're **** awful! :lol:

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Sun May 31, 2015 11:14 am

Have a word in Bridge computers
They may be able to sort out your woes and give you some tips on keeping the system as you want it
Steven Covey

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun May 31, 2015 11:33 am

If it's just the Windows Live Mail email program you want then maybe this is the best option

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=29224

This appears to be the latest download although it is possible that it may subsequently do an update to 2012 - which is the version I have running and which I think was done as a subsequent update. Strange though that there doesn't seem to be a stand-alone download of Windows Live Mail 2012.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Sun May 31, 2015 3:47 pm

Think the latest update was just a bug fix to make it more stable and also more user friendly to the W8 and above OS

I could be wrong :Exploding:
Steven Covey

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Sun May 31, 2015 4:08 pm

If you type ** msconfig ** into the search bar on your windows desktop it will bring up a popup and there you will see
Capture1.JPG
then select ** startup ** there you will see the list of programs which will start and run when you first start your system
Capture2.JPG
DE- Select the programs which you know you do not need or want to run, they will still be there and you will still have full access to them just that they *the programs themselves* will take a nano second or two to load. but your system will start and run faster.
Then select ** Boot **
Capture3.JPG
here you can find out if your system is using all of its CPU (s) and also all of the RAM memory as well as change the way the system boots, by selecting ADVANCED OPTIONS it will show you how many processors your machine has and how much memory it is using for RAM (select to use maximum RAM) and use the drop down to select ALL your Processors.

See next posting
Steven Covey

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Sun May 31, 2015 4:10 pm

Capture4.JPG
follow on

your system will require a reboot and the new settings will then take effect.

this will not cure any email issue though it is on the way to getting a greater control over the WINDOWS SYSTEM
Steven Covey

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun May 31, 2015 6:07 pm

Nikkai, I was wondering about the setting you showed in the last post re-the Boot advanced options and changed mine to see what would happen. After re-booting my resources monitor showed the following - I had virtually no memory available.
Rexources Monitor.JPG
I changed it back to its original (presumably default) settings and after another re-boot it returned to what I considered 'normal' for my computer (see below). I only have a 4GB Ram and under the changed settings about 33% of that was reserved for 'Hardware'. Any explanation would be welcome.
Rexources Monitor_2.JPG
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Sun May 31, 2015 6:42 pm

I believe the 33% reserved for hardware is unused until you operate a hardware drive etc its sat ready but doing nothing, then the other is being used
when your machine calculates through the system it will only use the available where as there is actually MORE there but the machine reserves it
If you use it all for memory the machine should calculate quicker and if you use hardware then only the required amount is allocated and the RAM is used at the best division internally.

I tend not to use the resource monitor (it uses a lot of resource) :o though your post has got me wondering about my system even though I know it is faster than if I allow Windows to control it!

I do only run the very minimum OS that i require unless I'm remotely logged onto the wife and daughters computers and then seem to run a lot of stuff which I have no interest in.
Steven Covey