The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

The Joys of Computing

Discussion about all things technological.
nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

The Joys of Computing

Post by nikkai » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:05 pm

The joys is a little on the mild side to what I am feeling at the moment....
Turned on my laptop this morning and was met with BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) so tried a reboot to no avail then went into fix it mode only to find out the hard drive one of the two in this laptop had gone to make it's maker, dead deceased is no more!
Why would it have to be the one that has the OS on it???? so removal and a fitting of a replacement "Western Digital" in my opinion are rubbish drives! this is the third WD hard drive I have changed in laptops I prefer Seagate or even Toshiba
So now I am reinstalling as much as I can remember (I have back ups of images and documents) so That is one good thing but the emails I have require to be down loaded from the server again and one account has 47003 mails in sent folder and ?? in the others which is going to take nearly all night to sort. Oh well only 5 email addresses to get through then I may even trim down on some of the older mails :lol:

Just to remind every one to make a readable back up of their important files (don't rely on a system back up as this can not be read if you reinstall )
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The Joys of Computing

Post by nikkai » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:37 pm

Up date on my computing
Have managed to sort out some of the issues and now I have to wait for the 274 MS Updates to be down loaded and installed.
I asked if I needed to do them all and the techi I spoke to had no idea? Oh well good job I'm on unlimited internet sadface1
Steven Covey

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:04 am

nikkai wrote:Have managed to sort out some of the issues and now I have to wait for the 274 MS Updates to be down loaded and installed.
I asked if I needed to do them all and the techi I spoke to had no idea? Oh well good job I'm on unlimited internet sadface1
I must admit Nikkai that I do admire your tenacity and skill at solving your computer problems, well done. Maybe in my next life I will be more knowledgeable about the mysterious world of the workings of a computer and solving their problems...not that I am expecting to leave this life shortly mind you dancer1
My Flickr pictures look here

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:10 am

Oh you have me confused with someone who does understand the computer thingy's
I can muddle through and with persistence get to where I want to be or to where I think the result should be.
SWMBO is adamant that I am very persistent?? though not quite sure under what context she refers to :roll:
Steven Covey

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Post by Suffolkboy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:00 pm

The joy of broadband which comes and goes - doing my head in. sadface1
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:37 pm

Suffolkboy wrote:The joy of broadband which comes and goes - doing my head in. sadface1
I hope I am not tempting fate Suffolkboy but since I moved the position of my hub away from other electrical appliances I have had no trouble with my broadband reception; before then I had been on to BT or googling for help on an almost weekly basis as my internet reception was very intermittent. I do sympathise with you if you do keep losing your signal as I know it is very frustrating, it used to do my head in, which was worrying enough in itself as I realised how dependent I had become on using the internet. I do try now to have a few days a week (sometimes only one ;) ) when I don't use my computer or the internet at all.
My Flickr pictures look here