The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

My router MIGHT be insecure!

Discussion about all things technological.
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

My router MIGHT be insecure!

Post by Trigger » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:14 pm

Earlier today a small message popped into view - I saw that it was from my Internet Security program - and indicated that my router is “insecure”. Before I could press “Print Screen” the message had disappeared. Fortunately, it just appeared again and this time I managed to copy the screen (see attached). Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to click on “Why may a Wi-Fi network be insecure”?
I Googled that question - and the first link that appeared was a “post” from Kaspersky - dated today! https://blog.kaspersky.co.uk/wi-fi-sao-paulo/. Scanning through the article - I get the impression that the message is that it “might be insecure” rather than my router “IS insecure”. If so, then, hopefully, no action is needed from me.
Any comments/advice about this would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Attachments
iNSECURE.jpg
iNSECURE.jpg (29.89 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: My router MIGHT be insecure!

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:29 pm

Firstly, that article is actually dated 17th June 2014, Trigger (immediately below the headline of the article). The page that opens just happens to display the current date at the top.

Unfortunately I can't offer any specific advice on the message. Providing your internet connection was set up in accordance with the instructions that came with it (the router) and you have the appropriate encryption in place then there's not an awful lot more you can do. If it's possible to change the access code used to log on to your router and see if that stops the message appearing then maybe you could try that. Otherwise, is there a Netgear forum you could consult over the issue? Remember that NOTHING is secure in the digital world - even the FBI has been hacked.

Here's a forum on the same issue: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=301535
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:10 pm

The message displayed shows that either there is no password configured for this network, or it is configured poorly, ie- WEP instead of WPA2. WEP uses basic password encryption, WPA used more advanced, and WPA2 uses more advanced combined with encryption. This is something that is shown in the router settings, so you would need to log into the admin panel of the router to test this out. In theory, it should be a simple case of ticking the correct option.... although in practise it may be harder than we all think! It's mainly about encryption, which is done automatically by the computer and websites you visit, as long as everything is set up correctly. For example, Facebook automatically takes you to https://facebook.com; the s making it more secure. Most browsers will also show a padlock symbol in the address bar when visiting an encrypted-connection website.

If there is no password at all, then good luck - your computer has probably already been hacked! You most definitely need to change your network from publicly accessible, to one with a password, done via router admin panel.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 pm

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated. I realise, of course, that it can only be general advice but - some advice is better than none! Hopefully, it will “point me in the right direction”! I’ve found a detailed Netgear article about accessing a router - which should be a help. It was set up by a professional engineer - so just hope that it was set up properly in the first place. But - I may need help from a Higher Authority! :D Also think it’ll be worth speaking with my ISP’s support - they might be able to give some general guidance to this - even though the router wasn’t supplied by them.

Oh the joys of computing! Image
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:34 am

Further to my original post - I’ve delved around on the internet about this. I’ve Googled and found a Kasperksy Forum page about this “pop-up”. One comment is “Generally speaking you don't need to worry, unless this alert keeps popping up all the time.” I also noted that the last line on that “pop-up” message is: “Don’t show for this Wi-Fi Network” - so it looks as though you can stop it from popping up! This could suggest that something triggered into appearing - rather than there being a “problem” as such.

I’ve also checked my Netgear Router’s “home” on my PC and will check through the settings there. I feel certain that when it was set-up it was “secured” at the time. But will check this out.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:24 am

I guess that is the link I gave you in my earlier reply Trigger.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:57 am

boatbuilder wrote:I guess that is the link I gave you in my earlier reply Trigger.
It wasn’t actually! [Smiley: Hangs head in shame!] Well, it was - and it wasn’t! :roll: I’d read the responses on here but didn’t use any link. Then I went off searching . . . I googled “Wi-fi security alert for Home wi-fi” and, one result came up which gave the text in a forum without seeing the actual forum - i.e. like seeing just the text on here but without seeing the actual site!

The link I got was http://forum.kaspersky.com/lofiversion/ ... 01535.html - and there is, at the top left of the page, a link to the actual forum which you had posted!

And I switched off the computer around 12:30 am! Image