The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Drop in upload speed

Discussion about all things technological.
shamus
Male/Female: male

Drop in upload speed

Post by shamus » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:06 pm

Any PlusNet FIBRE customers experiencing drop in upload speed in the last week or so
just put a new pc online and its running a 20% lesser upload speed--download is same as before
Last edited by shamus on Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Re: Drop in upload speed

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:16 pm

I think Trigger uses PlusNet, so maybe he can tell you next time he is on here. Is it standard broadband or Fibre?
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:17 pm

I'm on plusnet which is BT and I haven't noticed any drop in speed but then I'm not on any super fast plan either
If you have changed the router or changed the internal router settings it could be that until the system sorts itself out
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

JustStu2

Post by JustStu2 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:16 pm

I'm with Plusnet, and it's been sitting at around 10meg over the past couple of weeks. Usually around 15meg, but it's not affecting anything really.
I went into a shop and said, "Can someone sell me a kettle." The bloke said "Kenwood" I said, "Where is he?"

shamus

Post by shamus » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:27 pm

I am on Fibre 40/20 and was getting38/12.6 prior to new PC
now getting 37.5/10.2
I do not really notice any difference either but was wondering if plusnet was cutting me back as my numbers were solid beforehand or if there was another reason
I have rebooted my modem and router to see if that changes anything, also changed DNS manually this morning---no difference

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:34 pm

I just had a look on Plusnet's website and for the package you are on it actually says the upload is 1.9 Meg. and the higher package is 19.5 meg. I thought that might be incorrect so went through the motions of having them check my line and did the first stage of placing an order to see what it came up with and it still said 1.9 Meg upload. This is what appeared on screen at that point so it may well be a very bad error on their part. If not then you are getting a good upload speed. Are you using ethernet for your connection or wifi, and which speed tester are you using?
Attachments
Plusnet 38.JPG
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:55 pm

I’m with PlusNet Broadband - 10 minutes ago I ran the ThinkBroadband tester - and got 18.9 - went to save - and hit the wrong key - oops! So ran it again - and got 5.7! So, something seems amiss! Up until about 3 months ago my speeds varied around 20 -24 - but then it settled at 19 - so they must have fiddled with something! The speed is much more than I need; my cousin (Crestview Drive) was regularly on 0.9 - so eventually changed to Fibre and now gets 19.
Nikkai: +Net isn’t BT per se - it’s owned by BT. It’s like Asda is owned by Walmart - but they don’t run it.

PS My upload speed is 1Mb - so slightly down.

PPS Just had phonecall from my neighbour who's with +Net and he cannot get online! "Curioser and curioser!" so am just about to go and see if I can help!
Attachments
Test (370 x 286).jpg
Test (370 x 286).jpg (29.06 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:15 pm

Hi Trigger, yes I know that BT own +net and Im sure I did not say that they did run +net

not that it any big thing as Im sure if you dug deep enough you would find a lot of companies are owned by others yet "run" themselves :o
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:18 pm

nikkai - apologies if I got it wrong! :roll:

Just run the speed test again - and it's back to normal!!
Attachments
Test02 (370 x 285).jpg
Test02 (370 x 285).jpg (29.3 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

shamus

Post by shamus » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:51 am

using cat6 cable from BT master socket to modem and totally cat 6 wired thereafter-use wireless for phone and tablet

have used ookla/think broadband and +net---all give same--- did quiet line test -after about 6 tests on the SAME call a noise appears-might be intermittent noise ????

will just let it settle down again after the manual reboots of the last couple of days,-although they have had no detrimental effects, and see if speed picks up again
keeps us all busy
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest ... 1084489276