The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Help please

Discussion about all things technological.
funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Help please

Post by funkychick » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:15 am

My laptop has started freezing regularly or as I ve found out technically called 'locked out' I googled.... 'laptop keeps freezing' and up popped 'HP and Windows 8' both of which my computer is/has making me think this is a prevalent problem with this make There are then pages of things which all sound a bit technical for me ....can you explain any help in bullet points of instructions before I troll off to the computer hospital It does say dont have more than one safely programme on I have Norton anti virus and Ccleaner but they have both been on since I bought it a year ago and its only started these last few weeks could it be this any help appreciated
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Re: Help please

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:27 am

Can you post the link you are referring to FC which states 'HP and W8'.

Also how long are you locked out each time and what do you do, if anything, that enables you to use it again?
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:34 am

BB it wont shut normally of course so i hold the power button leave if off and then power up again that sometimes works if not I release the battery for a minute then it seems to have forgotten its problem and smiles at me and starts as if its been behaving all along I m not sure which link I looked at there were a few came up and I m now dashing off to work but can have a look this pm
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:43 am

Hi FC,
1, How hot does your HP get ? and if you look into the vents do they look grubby especially the inlet.
2, Is there an 'air' space for your laptop (is it on any soft /fluffy cushion) rather than a solid flat surface.
3, Can you remember when this first started, look at the update history for that time and see if an update could be causing some issues, you can restore to the time before your issue (not sure if W8 will let you undo the restore if not required though)
4, You say you have Ccleaner have you run the Registry checker to remove any unwanted left over files. (you may need to run it several times to make sure that all the left overs are removed, then run the cleaner then do a reboot.
Also with Ccleaner look through the program list and uninstall all the ones you do not use or want.
Also with Ccleaner look in the start up file section where you can stop programs from running at start up so your system has less running in the background. (when done I would again run through with number 4 again.
5, look through the devise manager (start-control panel-devise manager) to see if there are any issues with any of your hardware.
6, check (computer-properties) this will bring up your systems info and check to see if it is seeing the correct amount of RAM (if there is a lot less than you know is there your issue could be a loose RAM board)
There are lots of other tests which can be carried out to find faults though the above may get you to some where finding and correcting your issue. If all the above fail then you can swear at it even throw it about a bit but I have found these have little effect other than to cause further stress and in some cases further costs ;)
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:55 pm

Phew well I ll have to work through this list but just first off
1 it doesnt get hot
2 yes its on a soft surface
3 it started probably about a month ago but seemed to right itself and has been back to doing it this last week
4 I have run the Ccleaner twice and had no message from Norton as to their being any problems
the rest I ll have to check out thanks Nikkai i ll get onto the rest tonight

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:12 pm

funkychick wrote:Phew well I ll have to work through this list but just first off
1 it doesnt get hot
2 yes its on a soft surface
3 it started probably about a month ago but seemed to right itself and has been back to doing it this last week
4 I have run the Ccleaner twice and had no message from Norton as to their being any problems
the rest I ll have to check out thanks Nikkai i ll get onto the rest tonight
1, Good
2, can the air get into the cooling fan easily? (I think your HP has an inlet to the rear of the laptop
3, this sounds like an update issue either one which is not for your system or has an error in the install (may not be a windows update but could be for your video or audio systems) sorry it is annoying I know until the little blip is found
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:28 pm

if it's any consolation FC, I had similar problems with HP laptops (I had two of them) and had to turn them off like you have been doing, so could be an inherent problem with them.

As I have no experience of W8 and its pitfalls, which I believe there are some, it would be wrong for me to make any serious assumptions about what could be the problem. Whatever caused mine to lock up may not be what is behind yours so have you ever just left it when that happens and come back to it later to see if it has sorted itself out? Does it tend to happen whilst running any particular program?

It's worth bearing in mind that Norton 360 will run scans after a given period of time (which you can change) of the computer being idle and when you go back to it the computer may seem slow until the process it is carrying out at that particular time ends. However, it doesn't lock the computer.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:32 pm

Ahh BB i wonder if it is HP seeing as you had the same problem that's a bit comforting anyway It did surprise me that when I googled it it immediately popped up as HP and Windows 8 which to me indicated it was the computer make that maybe had the problem
Its definitely not Norton doing its jobs and its not when its idle either its when I m in the middle of things and no for that reason I havent left it to see if it rights itself maybe I ll have to try that
I will go through some more of Nikkais list and read the print out I ve done from google and see where we go from there

shamus
Male/Female: male

Post by shamus » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:39 pm

on my old vista pc, it was freezing and crashing, I replaced it
--I had a lot of folders/files on my desktop these were overtaxing the memory available and I was advised that the desktop should only have shortcuts on it and not be used for storage of photos etc, as I had a habit of doing ---best to have folders off the desktop
might help if your desktop is similar

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:58 pm

thanks for tip Shamus but no there isn't much on my desktop at all just a few short cuts and one photo as a back drop which has been there since I had the computer

seagull
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by seagull » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:16 pm

For last few weeks my iPad is taking up to 12 or more hours to charge up it gets very hot both on iPad and on wall plug bought new charger no change.i sooooooooo don’t want to go to Apple Norwich the one in Bristol apple I walked out load of Spotty faced arrogant no more comment on that.I have asked about different shops none seem want deal with apple .....someone help

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:18 pm

Are you using a genuine Apple charger? If not, that may be the problem. If you are then I suggest you DO go to the Apple store in Norwich.