The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Windows 10

Discussion about all things technological.
beachgirl
Male/Female: female

Re: Windows 10

Post by beachgirl » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:26 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Its been a while since anyone wrote on this thread but I was wondering if there is an easy way to transfer a database from W7 to W10. I've been able to transfer spreadsheets and the word processing but can't find anything of help with databases. Any help would be appreciated.
If you're lucky enough to live at the beach, you're lucky enough

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:12 am

When you say databases beachgirl, what sort of databases are you referring to, what are you using them for and in what sort of program?
This forum uses a database in which to store posts, and other information etc., but I doubt you are referring to something similar.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:50 pm

I suspect that it is an Office upgrade as well as a Windows upgrade. I haven't use Access for many years (part of Microsoft Office Suite), and I had heard rumours that Microsoft were considering spinning it out of Office into its own professional offering as most 'home' users of Office do not use it. Having said that, normally Microsoft make their Office suite backwards-compatible, so in theory you should be alright with using your old databases. This is much like the old .doc word documents still being compatible with newer Office suites, despite them now preferring the .docx format.

beachgirl

Post by beachgirl » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:11 am

I was using Microsoft Works until I bought my last computer and that came with Microsoft Office on Windows 10. I have been able to copy my spreadsheets from works to excel without a problem, the same with the word processing but my databases won't copy to access. I have a library db where I can search books by either author, title or number etc. And I do the same for an address db searching by either name, town, street, phone number etc. I could copy the db onto a spreadsheet and carry it over that way. ( I know you can do a search on a spreadsheet ) but they just don't work as good as databases. Don't know if I have explained that well enough but that's where I'm stuck right now.

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by morty1753 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:43 am

Had a quick look and came up with this. I don't know if that will help any.

It basically states that you can save your works database in dBASE format and import that to access.

Never having used either I really don't know the specifics.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... 0-database
I before E except after C - That's weird

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:53 am

I've never found the need to use the database programs so can't offer any constructive advice although what Morty has said sounds credible to me. I have always used Excel and with the data sort facility in that it has always done the job for me.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

beachgirl

Post by beachgirl » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:43 am

Thank you so much for the info. I will try the dBASE format in works then try importing it to access. If that doesn't work it will be spreadsheets only for me in the future. By the time I get this all figured out they will probably be upgrading the system again. I may never catch up.