The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Windows 10

Discussion about all things technological.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Re: Windows 10

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:40 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Like anything else, I imagine any benefits from it depends on how you use your computer and what you use it for. I would think it's all down to appearance. The programs you use will still do the same things. I can't see my Office 2007 - if it will work with W10 and which is my most-used software other than maybe my browser - will look or perform differently, or will any of the other third-party programs I use such as Photoshop, Irfanview and Photoscape. I am quite happy with the appearance of W7 whilst my computer is trouble free. I purposely downgraded from the Office 2010 Starter Edition, which came on the computer, to the 2007 Home & Student version I had bought for my previous computer with 3 licences as it does a lot more than the 'free' one.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:57 pm

So is it free for the first year and then you have to pay for it? But they don't know how much ?
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:02 pm

It's free forever on the computer you upgrade on IF you do it within the first year. After that year if you want to put it on a computer with W7 or W8 on then you can only do so by purchasing it. I will wait until I purchase a new computer with it already installed.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:17 pm

Ah well I ve ticked the box to reserve it may as well it s got to be better than all the movement you get with 8 I only have to look at it and the font changes
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:22 pm

I’m staying with Windows 7 - I’m happy with it - until it decides to throw the odd tantrum, that is! - and see no point (for me) in changing. OK, I know . . . I’m just a stick-in-the-mud! :roll:
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:38 pm

I don't think your a stick in the mud Trigger, You may just be the sensible one! I spent a little while with W 10 last night and to be quite honest I am starting to like MY W 7 more and more each time I use W 10.
I think that FC may even find the W 10 a bonus as her devise (I think) is one of the touch screen interface builds which W 10 is predominantly aimed at.

W 10 WILL NOT RUN my flight simulator or recognize my radio transmitter for my models so that is a very BIG let down for the OS, Walkera are in the process of writing for the W 10 OS but they are not expecting to release for about another year (beta will be but I will not as I don't use it enough to test etc)
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:47 pm

I use a laptop and an iPad Nikkai I find the laptop on windows 8 insufferable because it's made for touchscreen and I don't use it as such but it's all over the place my hand goes to a key and before I touch the key the font changes or something moves I was hoping windows 10 would alleviate that
I get on fine with the iPad
Trigger stay where you are I d go back to 7 in a breathe if I could without having to pay extra to do so

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:05 pm

I think 10 will sort out your issue FC I think there is an option to turn OFF the touch screen in favor of the "standard keyboard and mouse".
I am sadly loosing faith in MS though I probably brought it on myself... (installing to a dual boot) I have been into the BIOS and changed the option so I now start at a first boot option of W7 then if I want to change I have to enter the boot screen before W 7 starts
This just starts W 7 without me having to select 7 or 10 and I think I will be removing 10 as I see no advantage to me
Only disadvantage with my radio gear not working and the audio glitch and it does not like RAW images form my Canon camera ? (or that could be my fault again) I seem to have got a little despondent with it so I am either not concentrating or can't be bothered to think, knowing that the W 7 works very well.
(even though I D/L the OS == edit just worked out why the white window notifier is still in the W 7 on the same computer! I installed over another install of W 7 on this laptop.)
See trying to be clever causes stupidity Richard ........!
Steven Covey

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:17 pm

Surely if you don't have a 'Touch Screen' computer, the option for using the touch screen facility wouldn't be activated in the first place.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:22 am

It's not Bb but because it is made for touch screen it seems over sensitive that's all I can put it down to its definitely not me as others have talked about it and I ve watched my grandsons find it very frustrating too

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:43 am

I was referring to nikkai's comment about being able to turn off the touch screen facility in W10, FC. I'd never heard you mention having one on your computer so I wouldn't think it would be activated on computers that don't have one in the first place.

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:40 am

If your system has not got TS then yes the OS does not use that but it gets loaded at the initial start ??
If you have a TS then as BB says it is ultra sensitive and IF you only want to use the external keyboard and mouse it still runs ?in W 10 I believe there is an option to close the TS down when using the externals.
I haven't got TS but noticed in the start up files it had loaded ? when I turned it OFF and forced it NOT to run the OS became erratic until I did some further tweaking (not very user friendly if you ask me)

As I think I have mentioned I will be removing the W 10 as my W 7 works and is in my opinion far better for ME than the W 10.
If I have to get a new laptop then I will probably have to learn the full aspect of W 10 but for me the jury has come to a verdict!
Steven Covey

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:54 am

Don't want to upgrade to Windows 10? You'll download it WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT

Microsoft would really, really, really like you to upgrade to Windows 10. So much so that even if you've opted not to request the upgrade, you'll get it anyway, even if you never intend to install it.
The software giant confirmed to The Register on Thursday that it's been pushing out the necessary files for the upgrade to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 systems via Windows Update, even if you haven't bothered to "reserve" an upgrade using Redmond's adware app.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/10 ... _download/

I'm not surprised to read this - I'd read that they have already sent out Update files for sending info - from your PC - back to them. And issuing the number updates this week to a system that's being phased out - seem to make sense now! However, even if they are sending updates out to “Windows 7 & 8” machines - can’t quite see how they will get us to download the full version of 2,092.5MBs! :roll:
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:23 pm

NB: Re my last sentence in my last post: “However, even if they are sending updates out to “Windows 7 & 8” machines - can’t quite see how they will get us to download the full version of 2,092.5MBs!

Having read further on the subject - it would appear that the updates/upgrades MS are sending out are the basic, “installation” files for when you do install Windows 10.
Also came across this interesting article on the subject: http://venturebeat.com/2015/09/11/micro ... o-stop-it/

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:20 pm

Microsoft's Windows 10 upgrade strategy will get more aggressive

After a controversial move to pre-download Windows 10 onto the PCs of Windows 7. 8 and 8.1 owners, regardless of whether the owner wants to upgrade, Microsoft will start a more aggressive push starting early next year.
"We expect to be re-categorizing Windows 10 as a "Recommended Update," said Terry Myerson, Executive Vice President of Microsoft's operating systems engineering division. "Depending upon your Windows Update settings, this may cause the upgrade process to automatically initiate on your device."
http://www.techradar.com/news/software/ ... ve-1307831

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:36 pm

I haven't had too much problem with 10 just couldn't find where my photos were kept for a while as that part is different