The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Windows 10

Discussion about all things technological.
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Windows 10

Post by Trigger » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:49 pm

Windows 10 is to ship on USB drives from the end of August, instead of traditional DVD

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/m ... rives.html
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Windows 10

Post by Trigger » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:07 am

Nine reasons not to upgrade to Windows 10 -- yet
http://www.computerworld.com/article/29 ... 0-yet.html

I came across this interesting article. I’m signed up to get the free download - but am waiting for some reviews to help me decide.
One part of the article states: “Microsoft will keep issuing security patches for Windows 7 until January 2020 and for Windows 8 until January 2023.” So, on that basis, I see no reason for me to upgrade from “7” to “10”! Unless, of course, the availability of security patches for “7” isn’t as quoted! Or perhaps MS will charge for “updates”! So will you - or won't you? :D
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:59 am

Just came across this review:“Hands on: Windows 10 review”
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac ... 364/review

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:19 am

I'm not sure I will upgrade (if I can). I received an email from Sony recently advising against it - at the moment. Mind you I haven't even had the Icon on the task bar to enable me to reserve so I guess there is still something on my machine that is not compatible with W10 - probably the reason for it not appearing.

I did receive an update last week from Microsoft and this was something to do with W10 which I guess was to do with the Icon making an appearance AFTER the 29th July release, which apparently it will do on all machines that are running an upgradeable version of Windows, even though it might be unwise to do so because of incompatibilities on the machine.

I will probably leave it until I buy a new laptop with it already on - maybe later in the year when I have seen more reviews from everyday users rather than the 'professionals'.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:58 pm

There's lots of links to Windows 10 videos on Youtube e.g.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:51 pm

Windows 10 release date: When is Microsoft’s free upgrade available?

Article released @ 10:03am 23/07/15 : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/m ... -date.html

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:29 pm

I am still on the fence so on one laptop I will be installing but as a dual boot option
I will try to use it though if it is buggy then it will be left on the system and I'll return to this W7 version I am using, I will however update both systems and when after a period of time has passed I will try again to see if I like the W10.

Time will tell.
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:41 pm

If it's an upgrade to W7 or W8.1, then it won't be a 'stand-alone' operating system that they will be putting out. Surely to obtain that you would have to make the purchase of one of the full versions to install it on its own. Unless of course you have the current version of Windows that you are using installed twice on the one laptop.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:37 pm

Yes I have a version of W7 sat in a dual boot all ready to be upgraded. I did have the laptop with that version as the one I liked and Ubantu as the secondary (Oh boy did I not like that much) it was fast and sort of easy but had issues with just about everything I tried to connect. so overwrote that with the W7 OS just to kill it stone dead. And if I did have a failure on that laptop it would be easy just to change boot priority if I needed it urgent and then use while the damaged OS got sorted.
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:51 pm

Windows 10 Automatic Updates Start Causing Problems

Last week Microsoft confirmed every Windows 10 update will mandatory and installed automatically. This was met with a hostile reception from Forbes readers with over 100 comments on my news article voicing their concern. And now some of those fears have been realised…
With just four days left before launch, Windows 10’s policy of automatic updates has run into its first major problem and it is causing many PCs to stop working correctly.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... -problems/

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:46 am

I’ve just noticed that I have a new message from Microsoft. Seems they want me to have Windows 10! :D

Attachments
W10.jpg

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:00 am

Of course you do realise that if you are the first one on here to go with it Trigger there will be nobody on here to answer any queries if there are any teething problems. Image

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:10 pm

boatbuilder wrote:Of course you do realise that if you are the first one on here to go with it Trigger there will be nobody on here to answer any queries if there are any teething problems.
Thanks for that!! Here's my tale of woe!

Received a message from Microsoft that my “Free” windows upgrade is ready! The next page that popped up (see below) states:
Reservation - Confirmed
Download - Complete
Upgrade - Available

The next screen has a spinning semi-circle of dots with the words “Working on it” underneath. That’s been going on for nigh-on two hours now! So what stage it’s at, I wouldn’t know.

Whilst the earlier message said that “Download is Complete”, is also states: “Choose when to upgrade”. So, I’ve absolutely no idea what it’s doing. I can imagine it will still running through the night!
Technology - aargh!
Attachments
Working.jpg
Ready.jpg

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:20 pm

UPDATE: Have just rummaged around on the old PC - and found an “Upgrade to Windows 10” - see below! So, methinks the one that’s got this circle going round and around - that’s all it’s a’doin’! So, I’ll switch it off. And will try the download tomorrow using an Ethernet cable.
Attachments
GetStarted.jpg

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:45 pm

Having been registered for the upgrade for several weeks, today was informed that my graphics card is too old and incompatible, and so they have refused to allow me to upgrade! Have sent a message to Nvidia asking for details on new Windows10 drivers.