The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Windows 10

Discussion about all things technological.
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: Windows 10

Post by Trigger » Mon May 30, 2016 3:24 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Microsoft has ruined my day, and possibly my life

I’m sitting at my computer, getting on with my work, when suddenly an unseen hand takes over. It stops my work and starts an update, which I can not stop, never asked for and do not want, from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Red alert! Where is my work? What the hell is happening to my computer?
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... ms-iplayer
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Mon May 30, 2016 5:03 pm

he he ----- I run W7 on three machines and I along with my daughter and the boss all seem to like W7 (I even liked Vista) then along comes W10 and its FREEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
So I tried it and found I along with a few programs did not like to use it so reverted back to W7 and carried on but MS give me updates for W10 even though I don't use W10 so I had to find a way to stop those annoying updates and found it in GWX control panel. a little program that now runs on my systems and STOPS ALL of the W10 updates or adverts or help files which MS seem to think I want though I don't.
So now after another little glitch regarding mail I am again on W7 and happy to stay on W7
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Mon May 30, 2016 9:32 pm

nikkai wrote: I am again on W7 and happy to stay on W7
Providing, of course, that Microsoft lets you! Seems they say "Ve hev vays of mekking you heff Vindows Zehn! And devious means they seem too!!
Did you see the article I posted on 25th? Here's the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36367221

‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Tue May 31, 2016 5:28 pm

Yes I saw the article and if the GWX program is run and set to stop ALL and ANY W10 file then there is very little chance MS will get their way with MY systems. Until I have to get a new laptop then I will probably either have to have W10 or go to another OS
Steven Covey

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue May 31, 2016 5:58 pm

I can't understand all the criticism of W10. I find it much better than W7 in all respects except for the Mail Program, but I can live with that one downside to it. Maybe it's because I didn't bother with an upgrade but bought a new laptop with it installed.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Tue May 31, 2016 7:25 pm

My biggest problem is (was) that the flight simulator which I have is not compatible with 10 (at the moment that is) and to purchase a W10 version is another £125.
I tried to see if there was an upgrade for my one from W7 to W10 but apparently the software is very different.
then as you say the mail program is pants! on top of that it is a little different to get rid of the "unwanted" from W10 and there seems to be a lot of external influences which keep being found out about.

As I say if I do get another laptop then I would think it will be my venture into the W10 era but until then I will try to stay with W7
Steven Covey

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue May 31, 2016 7:39 pm

That sounds like the software company behind your simulator is on the make in wanting to get people to buy a totally new piece of software at full price rather than bothering to program an upgrade for the existing one. I haven't found any third party software I used on W7 that doesn't work with W10. The only piece of software I use that doesn't upgrade is one that runs my old Canon Scanner which is the one I use for scanning slides and negatives and that hasn't upgraded since Vista. In fact I only ever use it on an old laptop still running XP when I need it.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Tue May 31, 2016 7:56 pm

I think the sim is written for XP though there was a "work around" to get it to run on Vista / W7 I remember the change made a couple of the help sections either not work or give the wrong information (think it was inverted) though as I don't use those they were turned off in the program preferences I believe (I will check) that the program is FAT where as Vista / W7 is NTFS
I could not get 'into' W10 to find out what it is written in though I suspect it is on the NTFS platform or similar .

My sim is quite old now but very functioning for my three aircraft / two helicopters and will allow full "off site" flight programing for take-off / landing and stall turns. If I log into a flight live weather stream it will take current wind etc for the calculations also IF I take the laptop to the field then with the transmitter buddy-boxed I can reprogram while in flight (so long as I'm not in take-off /land or stall modes) but that takes the fun out offlying crashing :huh: (plus the laptop battery is the weak link!) :boo:
Steven Covey

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue May 31, 2016 10:26 pm

boatbuilder wrote:I can't understand all the criticism of W10. I find it much better than W7 in all respects except for the Mail Program, but I can live with that one downside to it. Maybe it's because I didn't bother with an upgrade but bought a new laptop with it installed.
I think you’re probably right there. Months ago I spoke to two PC repairmen and asked them what they thought of ‘10’ - and they replied they were not impressed by it. But, lately, have heard that it’s very good - apart from a few minor niggles. But knowing three people who have tried updating to ‘10’ and it’s gone wrong - and they had to pay to have it sorted professionally. But I think these latest reports are about the “underhanded” way that MS are now installing it on machines without the owner’s knowledge.

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:22 am

I'm still feeling a bit unloved as I still have had no Win 10 upgrade item appear on my machine. I had no intention of upgrading but could really do with flattening my C:/ drive and reinstalling everything as one has to do from time to time and upgrading to Win 10 might be a simple way to do it as I presume I can just reinstall 10 after installing and flattening rather then bugger around trying to find my Win 7 licence.
It's grim up North...

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:15 am

frankiesays wrote:I'm still feeling a bit unloved as I still have had no Win 10 upgrade item appear on my machine
Easy peasy! Just do a "Search" - if I can do it - anyone can! :roll: The "free" download ends 29 July. So, all I can say to you is: digitum extractum :D

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:01 am

Actually, I don't think you could do that. Windows 10 - the free upgrade - is just that, an upgrade. This means that you would have to have an earlier version of Windows installed first. A way round that would be to download the Windows 10 files and put them on a USB stick, takes up about 7Gb. This can then be used to install Windows 10 directly from DOS after you have wiped the disk.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:19 am

frankiesays wrote:I'm still feeling a bit unloved as I still have had no Win 10 upgrade item appear on my machine.
I have had my little upgrade icon for Windows10 on my PC for quite some time now and I have tried on a few occasions to upgrade but Windows keeps having trouble with my 'partition' :? and gives up with trying to install the updates. But I am happy with my 8.1; have got 10 on my laptop and I don't think it has any advantages for me over the 8.1 8-)
My Flickr pictures look here

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:40 am

I didn't install W10 but I searched on Google for the reason why I wasn't offered 10, it turns out to be a common thing and I downloaded a Microsoft patch which ran and checked my eligibility to own W10. It agreed my PC was indeed ready for it - but it is still not showing the W10 icon. I just know this is going to cause me grief so I may buy another hard drive and install W7 on it which will then throw up any eligibility issues, if I get none I can simply swap the new drive for the old one and reformat it as an additional drive. I'll then be in a position to carry out a hopefully uneventful W10 upgrade over my nice new install of W7. That's the theory anyway.
It's grim up North...

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:11 am

Frankie: "The free upgrade is a full version of Windows (not a trial or introductory version) and is available until July 29, 2016." After that it'll cost you around £100!

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:08 pm

Looks like I'll be staying on W7 for a while yet then, not intending to rush into it. I may take advantage of the inevitable extension. I think MS are very keen to dump the support of W7 so would like us all to migrate to 10 if at all possible.
It's grim up North...