The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Windows 10

Discussion about all things technological.
frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: Windows 10

Post by frankiesays » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:08 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Looks like I'll be staying on W7 for a while yet then, not intending to rush into it. I may take advantage of the inevitable extension. I think MS are very keen to dump the support of W7 so would like us all to migrate to 10 if at all possible.
It's grim up North...

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:14 pm

Just remember what I said before; you can download the actual installation files for Windows 10 onto a USB stick for later use, and that means Windows 10 installs free of charge in the future.

Meryl
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Male/Female: female

Post by Meryl » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:52 am

I am being urgently reminded that the W10 offer is coming to an end but I don't want W10 so I am ignoring it. I checked with Currys whether the computer would continue without any trouble if I didn't download W10 and they told me that all the Currys stores were still using XP.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:22 am

Meryl - I’m definitely not going to install Windows 10 (I’m using Windows 7). My computer’s around 10 years old, and I know it’s approaching “the end of the line”. But, I feel that, knowing this, I‘d rather not risk installing it. If this PC expires, then I’ll just use my iPad.
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Meryl
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Meryl » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:52 pm

Just in case I should decide to download W10, I went to Utube to see how the installation should be done. There is no way that I could attempt to do this, as it asks questions that I don't know the answers to. I was under the impressions that it was simply a matter of clicking on the icon and the rest was automatic. Where do I find my Microsoft account for example? Please help as I need to make up my mind soon.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:52 pm

Meryl, if you have ever had a 'hotmail' email address/account then that would likely be a starting point. If not then you can create a Mcrosoft account by visiting this link. You can use your existing email address (Tiscali,BT or whatever) and you will have to set a password for the account as well for logging in purposes.

Just a word of warning. Make sure you get the password right when you are creating it as it doesn't show you your letters and you only have to enter it once so there is no cross-check by having to enter it twice. If you get a letter wrong and don't realise it then you would then have to go through the 'forgot password' bit at a later stage when you come to log in again. Seems silly that Microsoft can't have such a simple thing as that on their system. :roll:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/account/
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:08 pm

I have a sticker on the side of my PC case which has my proof of licence and Windows 7 product key on it so in theory upgrading to W10 shouldn't be a problem but my system went through a period a couple of years ago where it kept telling me I had an illegal copy of Windows and it was it bit of a bugger to sort it out and it involved hours of downloading files from Microsoft onto a bootable CD. I made a mental note to leave well alone once it was working again. So I am loathe to try to fix what's not broke.
It's grim up North...

Meryl
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Meryl » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:27 pm

Thank you both very much for taking the trouble to help. Just remind me what we need the product key for ?

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:39 pm

The product key is a code (sometimes quite long, Microsoft's keys are usually about 20 or more digits in length but are broken up into sets of four or five to make them easier to read) which comes with new software and is required to be entered at some stage to prove that you are using a genuine version and not a pirated copy or, in the case where a piece of software has only one licence (i.e. for use on one computer only) you are not exceeding that number by trying to use it on two or more computers. These are also used by companies such as Norton Internet Security and can have multiple licences for more than one device but each use is recorded when the software is installed and registered online so you can't exceed the number of licenses you have purchased it for.

Although my computer came with W10 installed, I believe my key (Product ID) is probably what is displayed on this page at the bottom. It is 20 characters long and divided into 4 sets of 5 separated by hyphens. (I have removed the actual ID for security reasons on this image).
Attachments
Windows.JPG

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Meryl
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Meryl » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:56 pm

Thank you . Where will I find mine?

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:19 pm

I have just looked into this further and the Product ID is NOT the key. If your computer came with a Windows version already installed then it may not be accessible for you to see so I would have thought you might not need it. If you have the icon on your screen to upgrade to W10 then I would think that would only appear if it has been established that your version of Windows is a genuine version.

If you upgraded your windows from say Windows Vista to Windows 7 with a new install then the key would have been supplied with the software you bought. It is in fact a 25 digit key, not 20 (that was my ID as I have said). The nearest I can get to seeing mine is the last five digits as in this image, The first 20 have been represented with X's. I suggest you go to your control panel then 'System & Security' then 'System' (that is the route shown in the address bar on the top of my image in the last post) and see if you can see anything.

Other than that I know no more, I am afraid.
Attachments
Windows2.JPG

Meryl
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Meryl » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:26 pm

Thank you BB

Meryl
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Meryl » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:00 am

when I opened my PC this morning there was a message saying that they had tried to download W10 [without my permission] but it didn't complete, so they would try again later.

Meryl
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Meryl » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:01 am

I have done it folks. The downloaded completed 30 mins ago.The proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:20 am

Well done, Meryl! Will be interested to learn your comments of it.
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:35 am

Is that just the download that was successful or was it also installed automatically, Meryl?