The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Computer Chat

Discussion about all things technological.
Meryl
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Male/Female: female

Re: Computer Chat

Post by Meryl » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:29 am

Latest post of the previous page:

thank you for taking the time BB.

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerch » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:53 am

Downloaded Irfranview with no problem and works a treat, but sorting out the rest is going to take sometime. :think:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:41 pm

It can be useful to have a separate hard drive on which you keep a second copy of all your own personal files - pictures, documents, etc., which can then be used should you ever change your computer in the future, and serves as your backup if your computer goes down and has to be returned to factory settings. It is a lot quicker than saving files on DVD and transferring them that way.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:28 pm

Meryl wrote:thank you for taking the time BB.
I have found that there is usually a youtube video for the most trivial of things Meryl, have you tried a quick search on there? Here's one as an example
It's grim up North...

Meryl
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Meryl » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:56 pm

thank you frankiesays. I will give it a look. I couldn't find the quote button.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:27 pm

I renewed my BT broadband contract the other day and got the latest Hub 6 thrown in, which arrived today. It's so much better than the previous Hub 5 version and just about gives the full speed wirelessly. My maximum connected speed is supposed to be about 64 Mbps with the distance I am from the green box and I am now getting about 60 Mbps at the laptop. :D

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerch » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:39 am

I'm not very clever when it comes to setting up printers etc but my new one was impossible .

A friend who knows what shes doing had a go but no lucK . She phoned the helpline and they tried to connect the printer no go .

Turned out that I'm not stupid after all the printer has a big fault , replacement ordered to be collected tomorrow. dancer1

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:13 am

kerch wrote:Turned out that I'm not stupid after all the printer has a big fault , replacement ordered to be collected tomorrow. dancer1
That is a good result Kerch, hope you have more luck with the replacement 8-)
My Flickr pictures look here

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerch » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:31 am

ME TOO.

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:00 am

I'm pretty clued up on computer stuff but still had to resort to calling the Dell helpline to install my current printer. Getting it to print with a cable attached was no problem but getting it to print via wifi was very testing.
It's grim up North...

Cowper
Male/Female: Female

Post by Cowper » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:02 pm

I've virtually given up trying to connect computers to printers via WiFi. Life's too short! I've tried over the years and I know it can be done, but oh boy, it takes years off your life. Then recently we got a new computer because our 10 yr old Dell (with Windows Vista) finally gave up the ghost. I knew our reasonably new HP printer would connect ok to the new computer, which is also a HP, and I downloaded the necessary driver stuff from HP, thinking I'd have another go at this wifi printing business. Couldn't get the PC and printer to even look at each other, never mind start talking. Finally conceded defeat and once again connected them up with a USB cable. No hassle, no problems, works every time. So do I need all this wifi printing aggro in my life? No, definitely not!

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:34 pm

Cowper wrote:I've virtually given up trying to connect computers to printers via WiFi. Life's too short! I've tried over the years and I know it can be done, but oh boy, it takes years off your life. Then recently we got a new computer because our 10 yr old Dell (with Windows Vista) finally gave up the ghost. I knew our reasonably new HP printer would connect ok to the new computer, which is also a HP, and I downloaded the necessary driver stuff from HP, thinking I'd have another go at this wifi printing business. Couldn't get the PC and printer to even look at each other, never mind start talking. Finally conceded defeat and once again connected them up with a USB cable. No hassle, no problems, works every time. So do I need all this wifi printing aggro in my life? No, definitely not!
Thats pretty much the conclusion I came to as well. Printing directly from my phone from any location sounds neat but it was just as quick to email the file to the pc and print from there.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:40 pm

I currently have an HP printer connected to my Toshiba laptop on Wi-fi without any problem. It also works on Wi-Fi OK with my iPhone and with my Kindle Fire HD tablet. I only ever had a problem once with a Kodak printer which was resolved by Kodak but that was several years ago and I can't remember the reason for the problem but it was resolved with a re-install of software.

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:04 pm

I can get my Dell printer to work by wifi to my laptop but it is painfully slow from my PC so the lead is the better method. I did have connectivity via my phone but since getting a new mobile couldn't be bothered as the effort outweighs the benefit.
It's grim up North...

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by morty1753 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:19 pm

I have never had problems connecting to my wifi printer from various devices.

I have even printed to it over the internet from 1,500 miles away without a hiccup.

Took me a while to pick-up the printout though.
I before E except after C - That's weird

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:27 pm

What phone are you using, frankiesays? I have been using the iPhone 5 for about 3 to 4 years and I don't think I even had to set it up as it's on the home network and just have to chose the printer each time I print.