The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Computer Chat

Discussion about all things technological.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Re: Computer Chat

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:27 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

What phone are you using, frankiesays? I have been using the iPhone 5 for about 3 to 4 years and I don't think I even had to set it up as it's on the home network and just have to chose the printer each time I print.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:27 pm

It was a 5 at the time although I'm now on a 7.
It's grim up North...

Cowper
Male/Female: Female

Post by Cowper » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:24 pm

I gave up the ghost when, not long after we'd got the new pc and I was faffing around trying to get the wifi printing to work, my son needed something printed off fairly urgently. That's when I threw the towel in and connected the USB. I told myself I'd sort out the wifi later when I had more time, but decided it wasn't worth the hassle. I don't own a smartphone, and when I'm away from home I'm virtually offline the whole time. Any printing we need to do is always done directly from our pc at home, so for me it really isn't worth losing sleep over. The USB works every time. Keep it simple, is my motto.

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:47 pm

OH !!
well this morning I logged on to "my" laptop as I normally do and opened the browser IE which loaded as quick as ever but there was (is) no favorites / history / or short cuts displayed where I normally have them, thinking this was just a page load error I closed and reopened the browser to the very same?
I went to the start menue and launched it from there rather than the task bar short cut but again a bare browser window even though the Fav is ticked in the options, I looked on Chrome and they are all there (I have some issues with Chrome which is why I normally use IE)
Anyone out there in byte land know as to why IE has lost all my stuff.
I thought about importing from Chrome but that option is ghosted to me and Chrome doesn't appear to have an export option that I can see.
Just a general inquiry as I have other browsers I can use.
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:01 pm

As silly as this sounds, have you tried switching the machine off and on again?! It often clears these types of 'glitches'.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:02 pm

I can't help you with your problem, nikkai. I don't use IE as I find it very slow to open in the first place. I just loaded it and it all seemed there on mine - when it opened. I use the much faster MS Edge browser which is only in W10, and I see you are using W7 so you can't use that.
Maybe it's time to start using W10.

Do you use CCleaner? Might be worth while running that if you do and see if it helps. Other than that, try rolling back your computer to a previous restore point which might help.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:27 pm

Hi there Dave = yes did the Off and On trick but no joy, I have thought about W10 and my machine will run it but the old laptop I have which SWMBO has err relieved me of can not and here is the issue I have
I often have to reset or repair the older Toshiba (my fault obviously ) and to have two different OS could be just too much for my aging brain cell.
as to cap that off SWMBO will (much to MY annoyance use this Toshiba for printing letters and bill receipts) quite why baffles me when the printer is Wi-fI and the old laptop does connect?
I really would like to get a NEW machine though SWMBO may have some input as to the NO I see and hear regarding that idea :lol:
Steven Covey

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:46 pm

Now we KNOW who wears the pants in your house. :roll:

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:50 pm

Have you activated InPrivate browsing by accident? I'm unsure, but I believe if you do so, your saved bookmarks and history are unavailable. You could also check and see if you need to log in anywhere - with Chrome the bookmarks are saved 'in the cloud' and you need to log into Google to have them appear. Unsure if Microsoft do the same thing with IE and Edge.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:04 pm

I don't think you can activate private browsing on a permanent basis, and once you close the browser down it will automatically open in the normal mode next time. Also to disable items such as toolbars you would need to go into the Internet Options menu. My bookmarks aren't affected if I use PB and are still there.

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:09 pm

nikkai wrote:OH !!
well this morning I logged on to "my" laptop as I normally do and opened the browser IE which loaded as quick as ever but there was (is) no favorites / history / or short cuts displayed where I normally have them, thinking this was just a page load error I closed and reopened the browser to the very same?
I went to the start menue and launched it from there rather than the task bar short cut but again a bare browser window even though the Fav is ticked in the options, I looked on Chrome and they are all there (I have some issues with Chrome which is why I normally use IE)
Anyone out there in byte land know as to why IE has lost all my stuff.
I thought about importing from Chrome but that option is ghosted to me and Chrome doesn't appear to have an export option that I can see.
Just a general inquiry as I have other browsers I can use.
I seem to recall that in the past there was a short-cut key to take that part of the window out of display and toggle it back again. I thought it was just F10 or F11 but can't get it to work on mine. It was the sort of thing you could easily do accidentally.
It's grim up North...

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:47 pm

Not sure as if it is a toggle problem as If I go to the Favorites section there is NOTHING in there ?
SWMBO managed to do something similar a while back and I had to delete the browser and then reinstall, only to then find out it still had issues so I ended up with a full return to factory nightmare. which after all the updates and fixes and what-nots HER (well mine really) became nornal in operation.
Now DO I want to do the same to this laptop ?? I think not ! at this moment in time.... :lol:
Steven Covey

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:03 pm

I had a strange thing happen today with the car's computer.

All was working well at lunchtime when we were out but at about 3-pm when I went out again to take Freddie to the vets for his six-monthly health check, the media/sat nav screen was totally blank, although the radio came on at the last station it was tuned to. When I got back home I couldn't find a way to resolve the problem and then noticed that the trip computer details that are displayed in the area of the speedo etc., were in a foreign language - looked like a Scandinavian one to me.

I had no option then but to phone the dealer who told me to take it round as I couldn't access anything with the screen being blank..

The mechanic who looked at it was as equally baffled as myself and as he couldn't get the screen to re-appear the only way to try and resolve it was to disconnect the battery for a short time for the system to power down and then re-connect it. That done, the screen came to life but was also in the foreign language, although the trip computer details, strangely enough, had reverted back to English.

Having determined which Icon on the screen took us to the language settings we discovered that it was all in Finnish. It was then just a matter of choosing the correct language on the list and then all was back to normal. Hopefully it will stay that way but what caused it still remains a mystery. Just glad I wasn't flying an aircraft when that happened. :lol:

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:42 am

You can't beat the trusty old reboot can you?
It's grim up North...

seagull
Bronze member
Bronze member
Male/Female: female

Post by seagull » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:24 pm

I just bought printer I dread using it I know I will lose will to live if I do

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:50 pm

boatbuilder wrote:Now we KNOW who wears the pants in your house. :roll:
I think I can reply to this in some way
Yes she does wear the pants (I don't wear any! and haven't since I were 13) though there is rhyme to my reason when you give the impression of power then the receiver of that impression is less of an obstructionist
Steven Covey