The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Computer Chat

Discussion about all things technological.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Computer Chat

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:54 pm

I always thought there was a topic of this name on here but apparently not.

I re-negotiated my BT infinity contract on Sunday and got a lower price. At the same time I decided to get the latest Hub 5 to replace the Hub 3 I have had since I went to fibre over 3 years ago. I also got that at about a third of the price than on the BT shop. It arrived this afternoon. Of course I had to change the settings on all our devices - which seemed endless - Mobile phones, Tablets, Kindle readers, iPod, Sky Box.

The Hub works on the 5.2 GHz as well as the old 2.4 GHz band. I had to change my settings on the new computer to benefit but I can now get the same speeds on Wi-fi as Ethernet. I was also quite amazed to get the following wireless result.

See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Computer Chat

Post by frankiesays » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:36 pm

My EE box gives me the choice of 5.2 ghz but apparently it is at its best at close range. I don't get anything like that download speed though, the best I've seen direct is 39mbts, it will be much slower on wifi.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:17 pm

Sounds like you are only on the half-speed package frankie. I think that 76 Meg I got was a lucky one off. They are averaging out at around 58 to 60 Meg which is what I would expect as I'm only suppose to get about 64, based on where I live in relation to the green box. However that is better than the average 45 Meg I was getting on wireless with the old Hub 3. I haven't tried with the ethernet cable on this hub.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:36 pm

My download speed is pretty much average for my area for fibre. A bit disappointing as the exchange is less than half a mile away but it is just about enough bandwidth to power all the gaming and online viewing which goes on in the house.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:55 pm

This graph shows the relationship between speed and the distance you are from the street box for fibre.
Attachments
Speed vs Distance.JPG
Speed vs Distance.JPG (38.85 KiB) Viewed 1370 times

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:58 pm

Looks about right then, you must be very close to your box, I'm not sure where our actual box is.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:14 pm

About 200 metres or so but I think that graph is a bit over-generous on the short distances. I did have a chart once (will try to find it) which gave them in actual figures.

edit: This is the chart which I think is more realistic.
Attachments
Chart.JPG
Chart.JPG (51.79 KiB) Viewed 1375 times

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:33 pm

I'll have to take a wander around and see where ours is. I know there is one about half a mile away but there may be a closer one.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:20 pm

And if the weather is bad you can always do it on 'Streetview'. :D

This is where my fibre box is (as marked) here. This Streetview image was taken in early 2012 before it was put there.
Attachments
Box.JPG
Box.JPG (24.52 KiB) Viewed 1371 times

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:15 pm

Fibre Optic was “installed” 09:30 - 05/01 - the “half speed” package. First speed was approx. 14Mbs - and since then has fluctuated a lot! I’ve seen it as low as 3 - high as19! Just got this reading (7pm): d/l 35.22, u/l 1.91, Ping 32ms. And I’m only paying £1 pm more than for standard unlimited b/b.
Site Green box @ junction of Alexander and Milton Road (Google shows the site being prepared). I’ve left my car in the photo - my fave car of all those I’ve owned!
Attachments
Site.jpg
Site.jpg (54.61 KiB) Viewed 1368 times
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:59 am

boatbuilder wrote:And if the weather is bad you can always do it on 'Streetview'. :D

This is where my fibre box is (as marked) here. This Streetview image was taken in early 2012 before it was put there.
That doesn't look like Rosedale Gardens BB? is your box off the estate?
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:33 am

That's on my road frankie. There are quite a few bungalows towards the low number end.

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:41 am

How long did it take everybody to build garden walls? The estate was designed as open plan initially and I bought one of the first houses. I remember having a conversation with Alfie Castleton from Persimmon when I first moved into mine in about '78 and he said the open-plan aspect of the estate was a developers requirement and not planning or council so he said as far as he was concerned go ahead and build one if you want one as long as it is a decent one and not a single wall parallel with the path. In spite of this I think many people assumed it was a council requirement and were reticent to build a wall. I have the same issue where I live now.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:14 pm

Those particular ones have been there since I've lived here - over 25 years. Some have built them since. Some have them some, like me, don't. A 'developer's requirement' sounds like a way of keeping costs down. :roll:

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:18 am

I switched the PC on this morning to find the power supply had gone kaput. Surprised it lasted as long as it did really. The fan stopped working a couple of years ago but I found it cheaper to buy an auxiliary fan rather than replace the PS but the box had been getting warm lately. The PC is used extensively just about every day so I decided to bite the bullet and buy one in town for £25 rather than wait a day for an Amazon delivery and save a few quid. It only took 10 mins to swap over but I am 2 x SATA leads short on the new PS so no DVD drive or charging facility from my USB3 hub - back to Amazon again for a Moulex to SATA Y adapter :-(
It's grim up North...