The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

New Monitor - help!

Discussion about all things technological.
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

New Monitor - help!

Post by Trigger » Wed May 25, 2016 2:28 pm

Looking for a new monitor - preferably HD and 24" Any thoughts - suggestions, please?
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: New Monitor - help!

Post by boatbuilder » Wed May 25, 2016 2:35 pm

I'm sure somebody will be able to offer some help, Trigger. I'm afraid I can't though as I haven't bought a monitor since I last bought a standard PC which was in the year 2000. Many of the HDTV's these days have a monitor input so could be worth looking at something like that in Curry's or Hughes. I can connect my laptop to my 37" Plasma TV with an HDMI cable.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Wed May 25, 2016 3:52 pm

Thanks! Can't connect to the TV 'cos the pooter is in the other room - and I can't keep dashing back and forth! :roll:
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Wed May 25, 2016 5:27 pm

I'm using AOC; they seem a relative unknown although rather good quality. Means that they were cheaper than some of the better known brands.

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Wed May 25, 2016 5:50 pm

Hi there Trigger, I would first ask yourself some questions regarding to what level of quality do you want to have from your monitor.
super HD / HD / etc then will you think on going to dual screen and want to have the second screen the same quality or so on.
As it has been mentioned that you can select to use a TV (with HDMI) or some have AVI connectivity though your computer may not be compatible and you may even want to keep the HDMI port open for other uses so you would need to look for a designated screen monitor and now what type of connection has your puter got for the screen?
1 HP display port plug
2 AHDMDVI 15
3 VGA plug

those are the three main types which come to mind.
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Wed May 25, 2016 7:23 pm

Just want a good quality picture - not necessarily HD - but, as good as possible for my budget. As I mentioned earlier - PC is in one room - TV in t’other! Current connection monitor to base is HDMI cable - and I’ll keep to that. Screen size: 22” - 24” - though last weekend I was allowed to use (viewing some of my photos) on a 27” HD Screen which cost just under £900! At least my photos looked better than I’ve seen them before!
amansin: I’ll read up on the AOC monitors.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed May 25, 2016 8:12 pm

You can still buy a small HDTV (23/25") just to use as a monitor for not much more than £100 or so from Argos. I have one for my grandchildren which has the X-Box connected to it via HDMI. As long as your computer has an HDMI outlet it shouldn't be a problem. I didn't mean you to use your main TV. I rarely use ours - I just used that as an example.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

shamus
Male/Female: male

Post by shamus » Wed May 25, 2016 9:20 pm

I use a John Lewis 32" Samsung 6400 and it gives good reproduction of HD tv and PC, and has all the connections on the back as well
I have it on a £17 pull out bracket from ebay
I bought it about 6months ago £339 now 259 @ argos
Last edited by shamus on Wed May 25, 2016 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Wed May 25, 2016 9:37 pm

boatbuilder wrote:You can still buy a small HDTV (23/25") just to use as a monitor for not much more than £100 or so from Argos. I have one for my grandchildren which has the X-Box connected to it via HDMI. As long as your computer has an HDMI outlet it shouldn't be a problem. I didn't mean you to use your main TV. I rarely use ours - I just used that as an example.

BB: Thanks for your comments - much appreciated. When someone mentions "TV" in this I way I only fink of it as TV for watching programmes! I wasn't really aware that they can be used as computer monitors -you must try to realise that I've led a very sheltered life! :roll: I will certainly look into this aspect of them. Thanks again!

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed May 25, 2016 9:48 pm

Here is one that looks a good buy, Trigger. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 387586.htm

Only in stock at the Argos at Homebase on South Lowestoft Industrial Estate,

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Wed May 25, 2016 10:30 pm

Re: TV for use as a monitor - this was an interesting read: “Use your TV as a computer monitor: Everything you need to know” - http://www.pcworld.com/article/2924203/ ... -know.html -

This monitor looks interesting - AOC i2369Vm (PC Advisor review gets 4.5 out of 5 stars) - review: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/ ... y-3217746/

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by kerch » Thu May 26, 2016 8:44 am

In the far off days when I had a Vic 20 I think it used the TV as a monitor don't remember buying a seperate one then.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu May 26, 2016 9:29 am

It was the same here with the BBC 'B' that I had, kerch. Although I did later buy a green screen monitor, which I still have, as I was taking up too much of TV time :lol: