The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Broadband Speeds

Discussion about all things technological.
SL-Dave

Re: Broadband Speeds

Post by SL-Dave » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:13 am

Latest post of the previous page:

The upload speed is disgusting! Should be 7-10Mbs for fibre.

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member
Male/Female: Male

Post by morty1753 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:45 am

Ping doesn't seem anything special either
I before E except after C - That's weird

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:01 am

amansin wrote:The upload speed is disgusting! Should be 7-10Mbs for fibre.
Should be nearer to 18/19Mbps for fibre, even on the lower speed package, I think.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by morty1753 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:03 am

My upload is usually about 18Mbps and I am on the 80Mbps package
I before E except after C - That's weird

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:49 am

Further to my earlier post - I have just phoned ISP about the Upload speed – and the reply was – “on your ‘package’ the maximum download spend is 40 – and the Upload is 2 Mbps.”
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:49 am

What a lousy upload speed. If you have a 'half-speed' package you would think it would be at least half the maximum speed on the upload as well.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:44 am

Re: your ‘half-speed’ package comment – I agree! But, we must remember that ISPs “move in mysterious ways their wonders to perform”! :roll: Also worth bearing in mind is that I’m paying £14.99pm.
Using the MoneySupermarket site – Plusnet’s price for what I’m getting is £23 per month - and that’s about the cheapest!
Another point to consider is that, for me, the 1.80Mbps Upload is OK. I did appreciate the D/L speed a few weeks back when I d/l a commercial programme of 356Mbps which took just5 over 3 minutes!
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:46 pm

boatbuilder wrote:Frankie, I am about 130 to 150 Metres from my Fibre cabinet and as you know a fair distance from the exchange (which shouldn't make a difference) and I can achieve up to about 55 Mb/s on wi-fi (usually about 45 but other things are usually connected when I run the test) so you should be getting more than that (if you're on the cabinet you think you are). Is that wi-fi or ethernet?
That is ethernet BB. I've checked the maps of numerous suppliers for my immediate area and nobody on fibre is getting anything better. As Virgin have just put in their own cables I'm wondering what they will provide. I'm not bothered about the upload speed as I'm not into putting files onto "the cloud" as it is bound to end up in tears, so I back everything up locally in duplicate and only need speed for watching net TV, as we now have 4 locations in the house for doing that as well as two places to play live games, as you can guess, the download speed it creaking a tad.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:06 pm

Frankie, as you weren't 100% sure of your cabinet, let me have your postcode as I have a large spreadsheet with cabinet data on and I will see if I can locate your cabinet for certain. You can PM me with it plus your house number.

edit: Frankie, if your postode begins LA5 or LA6 (which I think it possibly does) then unfortunately they aren't on the list I have. It has Lancaster and Kendal but I don't think it has Carnforth which Google tells me is LA5 and LA6. Obviously wasn't on the original list I have dated 2011. Sorry about that.

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:37 pm

Yes BB, my postcode is LA5. The cabinet down the road is a green one but doesn't have the usual BT stickers over it, can't think of another nearby, i'll have to go out and take as look around. Interestingly ML was trying its best to stop me replying to you by displaying this:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, cgiadmin@yourhostingaccount.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I couldn't work around it so had to close the software and come back in again. All fine now.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:29 pm

I've not experienced any problem, Frankie. That email address means nothing to me and even assuming the latter part of it is to be replaced with either 'mylowestoft.com' or the .com of the hosting company, it still means nothing and can't say I have encountered it before. It was probably a brief 'hiccup'. Some info here:

https://www.lifewire.com/500-internal-s ... ed-2622938

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:21 pm

Does the wifi speed change with the distance from device (ie portable, tablet,pc) 2 the router?
Also the theoretical speed of ethernet is 100Mbps while that of wifi is 54Mbps..Note these are rare in practice. Normally the ether is far better.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:55 pm

Hi JohnB and welcome to My Lowestoft.
I don't find much difference in the speeds in my Wi-fi no matter where I am in the house but it can be affected by various factors including other equipment that might be situated close to the router or maybe between the router and your point of receiving the Wi-Fi signal. Also the type and number of walls/ceilings the signal has to travel through. I have recently acquired the latest BT-Hub6 and I lose very little speed in comparison to what I would get through Ethernet. My distance from te BT green box means I should get about 64-Mbps on Ethernet and my Wi-fi speed checks give me up to 60-Mbps now - and that is even with other equipment connected which the BT speed checker tells me I should switch off (which I don't do) before conducting the checks. Hope this helps.

Here are two Wi-Fi checks I have just carried out. The first is with the BT checker and the second using the http://speedtest.net website:
The router is about 12 feet away through a solid wall.
BB-speed.JPG
BB-speed.JPG (29.28 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
from speedtest.net