The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Broadband Speeds

Discussion about all things technological.
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Broadband Speeds

Post by Trigger » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:20 pm

I'm on Fibre Optic BB - the lower speed "up to 40". Just ran a speed test:

1. Via WiFi router = 5.73
2. Via Ethernet Cable = 37.53

Purely out of ‘idle curiosity’ can’t help wondering why there is such huge different in the speeds. I have seen speeds using Wi-fi connection of over 30.
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Broadband Speeds

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:18 pm

I have found the 'Ookla' (speedtest.net) a little unreliable of late. It is saying I am getting about 14 to 18 Meg down and 4 to 10 Meg up.

I have since done a test on BT and got the following results (Wifi).
2016_07_26-15-55.JPG
I have addef a second image from one done on the BT App on my iPhone (through the router) giving similar results.
image.png
I have just done another on 'Ookla; and this is the result:
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:17 pm

Didn't you get a 78Mbt download speed when you first upgraded to fibre BB?
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:46 pm

My expected speed when I moved to fibre was approx 64 Meg. That is always the expected speed via ethernet. I did get a couple of speed tests that were unusually high on ethernet, one showed as being over 100 Meg, but I knew they were probably flukes. The speed is always lower on wi-fi than ethernet and there are always other things running in the background like mobile phones which are connected and which could be using bandwidth even though they're not being used, or maybe the mail program on the computer checking for emails. I don't bother disconnecting the devices or close down programs when doing the tests.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:03 am

What puzzles me a little re: B/B via WiFi - is how the speed can fluctuate widely. In the past my speed has been as low 3.5.
This morning - 6am-ish - I did a speed test via WiFi and the speeds were almost identical - Ookla was 36 (see below); and near-enough the same on BTW. So, if it can be good on one day - why not the same the next day! :D
Attachments
Speed.jpg
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:42 pm

There are so many factors that can affect the speeds. After I read your post this morning I did a test using speedtest.net and was only getting about 14 Meg download, I then tried the BTW one and it wasn't much better at about 18 Meg. I then did one through the BT website where I had to log in to my BT account and it gave me 51 Meg. Shortly after that I ran CCleaner on my laptop and after that Speedtest.net gave a figure of about 36 Meg. Tried it again just now and got 43 Meg down and almost 19 Meg up- and I was streaming music on another device at the same time.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:46 pm

Thanks BB for that - my question was only out of idle curiosity! If I need a good, reliable speed, for downloading something - then I'll switch over to Ethernet - otherwise Wi-fi is adequate for my everyday usage.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:18 pm

Earlier this week I ran a Speed Test (Ookla) which, to my surprise, was 37Mb. I’m using Wi-fi which is usually in the mid-twenties – but occasionally is much lower - even below 5Mb! So, a further 3 tests have been done and came back the same; and I’ve just run a BT Wholesale test and its 37.94! Don’t know why it’s suddenly reaching the “top speed” (via Ethernet it’s these speeds). Perhaps my ISP is just in a good mood!

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:27 pm

Trigger, have you thought that it might be down to the Wi-fi adapter fitted in your new computer that's giving you the improved speeds.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:26 am

boatbuilder wrote:Trigger, have you thought that it might be down to the Wi-fi adapter fitted in your new computer that's giving you the improved speeds.
Nope! That hadn't even crossed my mind - although I knew that there was a Wifi doofer in the base unit. I had a Netgear Wireless USB Adapter – which was recommended by the engineer who came and connected up the Fibre Optic Broadband (05/01/16). That could well be the answer! Have just run attest and it’s still 37Mbs!
Thanks for advice!

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:22 pm

I tested my speed on Monday and the first test I ran showed an average of 65mbt which is probably not possible as I've only ever had 39mbt since I upgraded. I ran 3 more tests immediately one after the other while nobody else was in the house to use the network and they all came out at around 26mbt which is disappointing. I am only 100m from what looks like my local cabinet and only about 800m from the exchange. Virgin Media have just laid cable which will shortly be extended to my house so it will be interesting to see what they can guarantee. Unfortunately it will probably be an "up to" estimate which is totally meaningless as they only have to be able to get that result from 10% of their customers in order to claim it.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:55 pm

Frankie, I am about 130 to 150 Metres from my Fibre cabinet and as you know a fair distance from the exchange (which shouldn't make a difference) and I can achieve up to about 55 Mb/s on wi-fi (usually about 45 but other things are usually connected when I run the test) so you should be getting more than that (if you're on the cabinet you think you are). Is that wi-fi or ethernet?

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by morty1753 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:15 pm

I am about 200 metres from my cabinet and I get 70+through my wi-fi. I am with BT if that makes any difference.

When I first got a speed quote from BT I was given a "from" and "to" speed, that is the main reason I went with them as everyone else was quoting an "up to" speed.
I before E except after C - That's weird

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:09 am

Did a BTW speed test a couple of minutes ago and pleased with the result. This is fibre optic (up to 40 Mbps) - using Wifi connection.
Attachments
Speed_2411.JPG

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:13 am

The upload speed is disgusting! Should be 7-10Mbs for fibre.