The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

email provider required

Discussion about all things technological.
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

email provider required

Post by Trigger » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:13 pm

Was using MS Outlook 2007 - but it’s thrown a wobbly and no longer wants to send emails! :x Currently using the one provided by my ISP - works fine but to use it - have to sign in every time to access where it lives and then sign in to Webmail to use it!
I’ve tried “Outlook” but - can’t seem to access it as every time I try it wants to know my Time Zone! I don’t want Google’s Gmail - but any suggestions would be appreciated.
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: email provider required

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:20 pm

I use Windows Live Mail 2012 which is part of Windows Essentials 2012, and prefer that to the email program that came with W10 as it is much more flexible.

It works with all versions from W7 upwards and can be accessed from this link. There is a package of items that comes with it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... essentials

PS. Just noticed on that link that support for it ceases after next January, but I'm not worried about that. You night want to read the Release Notes here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... ease-notes
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:11 pm

I personally use Mozilla Thunderbird, as this works better for me than Outlook or any other program. My friends however normally either use Outlook or one of the webmail online sites such as Gmail, Yahoo etc.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:01 pm

I use Yahoo don't find any problems with it
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:13 pm

I read Trigger's post in the context that he was looking for something to replace Outlook where you don't have to keep accessing emails through a browser and when you open the email program it automatically logs you in and downloads your emails.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:33 pm

I don't see the difference my emails are right there waiting for me as soon as I click on mail how can it be any quicker ?
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:42 pm

If your email address is with Yahoo then fine but I think Trigger is with PlusNet so I guess he doesn't like their webmail. With WLM you can access emails from most providers so if you also have more than one email address. even if they are with the same provider such as PlusNet, then you don't have to log into each one separately as once it's set up as they all download into the one program.

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:07 pm

With webmail, you have to be connected to the internet to read your emails. With software such as Outlook, you can download them and then read them offline. Many years ago this was very important due to the cost of dialling upto the internet; you could program the email program to connect, download emails and disconnect allowing you to take your time reading them without worrying about the phone bill. Google have tried to blur these lines with Gmail and their Chromebook laptops, but to many people it is nice to know that if Gmail or Yahoo have an outage as sometimes happen, the emails are safely on the PC.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:21 pm

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated. I've downloaded and installed "live Mail". All I've got to do tomorrow is set it up!
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:32 pm

If I remember rightly, Live Mail was the new name for the older Outlook Express, the younger baby from Outlook. Worked well for me for many years, until Microsoft decided to 'update and modernise' it all.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:48 pm

I have used Live Mail without problem since it was released in 2009. I do hope MS release something much better than the Mail program that comes with Windows 10 when WLM reaches the end of its useful life. Windows 10 Mail is not a patch on WLM.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:53 pm

Since the recent 'Anniversary Update' on Windows 10, I have found that the RSS News feeds haven't been updating automatically in the Windows Live Mail program and despite checking the settings are all OK I still can't get it to do so and have had to update them manually. In view of this I have been looking at alternatve email clients and decided that Mozilla Thunderbird looked the most promising so decided to give it a go. So far it seems to be OK now I have sorted out the various settings. If it continues to please then I think I'll be saying goodbye to Windows Live Mail pretty soon.