The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

My problems with a PC!

Discussion about all things technological.
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

My problems with a PC!

Post by Trigger » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:23 pm

I’ve had my Desktop PC for roughly 8 years! Apart from minor changes, the only thing I’ve done is to increase the RAM and replaced the DVD player. I installed Windows 7 @ 09:55:08 on the day of release - 22 October 2009. My PC - Acer Aspire M3201 when bought was running Vista - which was released 30 January 2007.

Whilst I was initially keen to have Windows 10, the amount of publicity re: security, updates must be accepted, etc - put me off. And as MS increased the pressure to update, I realised that whilst my PC was, according to checks done, suitable to have this, I began to hear of people (including my cousin) having problems downloading and/or installing ‘10’ - coming unstuck - and then having to employ a PC Engineer to put it right. This made me realise that my aging PC may not be able to cope with it.
Now, however, my PC seems to suffering somewhat - probably coming to the end of its “useful”! About two weeks ago my PC went into what I think is called a “self-repair” mode. When this was completed it then shut down and re-booted. This had happened once before (some weeks ago) - and everything was OK. This time there was one “Problem” - when the repairs were completed and the PC rebooted, I noticed that the “spinning circle” was, seemingly, now permanently spinning. This is for any program on the PC - Word, etc, games, etc! And I have to wait - and wait for it to open the program!
I’m still apprehensive about ‘10’- will I manage the transition? (I’m mindful of Meryl’s comments - thank you Meryl!). Its email program seems to be a bit of a problem. I can’t use Mozilla - tried setting it up some years ago - unsuccessfully - now I can’t set it up because it’s still got my old info in its system! And I’ve read that installing the printer can be problematical? Perhaps I’ll need a book to help me - and no comments about the “Windows 10 for Seniors” please!
The PC I’m interested in is: Lenovo H30 Desktop PC: http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/desktops/ideacentre/510s/
Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

SL-Dave

Re: My problems with a PC!

Post by SL-Dave » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:55 pm

Why don't you simply backup all your important files onto a USB stick, and then reinstall Windows 7? A fresh windows install helps cure any current ills, without the worries of an upgrade to 10.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:07 pm

As far as the problems with you current PC are concerned, I doubt any third-party comments would help as there could be any number of things giving rise to the problems in view of its age.

However, with regards to a new PC, I wonder why you want to go for another PC rather than the more portable Laptop devices.
I was somewhat dubious about moving to laptops before I made the transition some 12 years ago but must confess that since doing so I've never looked back and regretted it. I know some people may not be happy with a mouse pad but you can still use a conventional mouse in one of the USB ports if that is an issue

You say you can't use Mozilla (presumably Thunderbird email program). Since installing it in favour of Windows Live Mail and the W10 email program which I found pretty poor, I find it pretty straightforward to use and I use it for quite a few email addresses as well as RSS Feeds including those from this forum.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:22 pm

Trigger wrote:Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.
When I got a new desktop Trigger I went to Northbridge Computers in the High Street; they will build you a computer to your own specifications. Just tell them exactly what you want your computer to do for you and they will advice and help you to get what you want and then you can take it from the shop and plug it in and everything will be hunky-dory :)

It worked for me anyway... :D
My Flickr pictures look here

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:58 pm

Thanks for comments BB - I was merely trying to explain about my PCs current ‘behaviour’ - I know it’s at the “point of no return”! I wasn’t expecting to restore it - if it came across that that is what I was doing, I apologise. I had a Toshiba laptop some years ago (Vista!) and didn’t like working with it - and went back to a desktop - it’s just personal preference. I prefer using a full-sized keyboard and monitor - but, like everything else . . . you find your niche. My comments about Mozilla was just to explain why I can’t get it set it up because it’s still got my old details and don’t know what they were- so I've deleted it.

amansin: sounds great - trouble is, I don’t think I could undertake that as I’m more computer illiterate than literate! But, I’ll try and find out more info. Mel: my first real[/i PC came from there - Windows 3.1 complete with installation 3.25 floppy disks! The next time I wasn’t pleased with the service - and have never been back.

But thanks for the input - much appreciated.
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:32 am

I haven't used a Pc at home for many years and now I m finding I use my laptop less and less and my iPad more and more I didn't find any problem with windows 10 it just went on and never really noticed the difference Northbridge are good Mel I d recommend them too very nice man. They could help you decide Tigger because it is a matter of us all having different needs
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:35 am

FC - thanks for your post - especially about ‘10’ - perhaps I need to “bite the bullet”! For me, a “desktop” fits the bill - as I mentioned I had a laptop but not impressed. And my iPad is just for quick access to the net - although, I must admit, I have occasionally posted on here with it! Perhaps I’m just a Luddite at heart!! :D

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:14 am

trigger change is never easy and the older we get it gets harder but my ipad is my godsend now although it took me a while to feel confident around it but to lie in bed and watch some programme I ve missed or play some daft word game with people around the world as well as having all my forums etc at my fingertips is lovely. this morning with the extra hour I was doing some work in bed ( no I was on my own) and justvsent it down to be printed for when I got up Wonderful It takes time and perseverance though my 80 year old best friend has just got an iPad and I ve helped her set it up she's had some teething problems actually more with her wifi connection than the iPad and she nearly gave up saying ' I m too old' but shes persevered and last week when she was able to FaceTime her son in Vietnam and literally go up the river with him whilst sitting in her armchair she told me it was worth its weight in gold
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Post by Suffolkboy » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:47 pm

It was interesting to read Trigger's post about the problems he is experiencing with his 8 year old computer as mine is almost 9 years old and like me gets slower by the day as it ages. What with freeze ups and crashing out and having to wait for Safari to make an appearance I have become very aware that my computer has become a burden as a time waster,now don't get me wrong I do like to surf the web and visit forums,however the slowness and waiting for things to happen has become ridiculous and I am becoming more and more frustrated to the point of thinking I have better things to do than sit here watching a small wheel revolving round and round.
I had a problem a while back and resorted to taking it into PC World who put it right to a certain extent,however I lost two years of photos which seemed to be part of the price for the repair work at that time.
My Wife has a laptop which I have borrowed from time to time,however this is not ideal as it seems when she goes to use it after me she has problems,I have been wondering for some time whether to invest in another Desk Top computer,Laptop or an Ipad,hence I have found FC's post very interesting. It seems I need to get out and do some investigating and get to understand the limitations if any of an Ipad.
Mind you after reading BB's post about Apple raising their prices I wonder if I have left it to late.
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:11 pm

I think the advise about getting a PC built for you is good advice. I wouldn't ever buy a branded machine any more. if you can find a reliable local company who can do this for you I think it would be wise to get a quote and take responsibility for repairs if something goes awry. You will still be able to use the same monitor and keyboard is you wish. As Mel says, if you research a bit on what you need e.g. hard drive space, processor, video speed, etc. and get a quote. The computer guy will be able to advise on what you need too, he will ask if you are going to use it for gaming as that will require a much faster video card and maybe processor, he will ask what you use it for and put something together which is totally up to date with the latest technology but not over the top. As technology moves on you should only need to upgrade the part which is behind the times like the processor or video card, you can always add more storage space if you fill it up with photos.
It's grim up North...

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:24 pm

Update: Fortunately, the permanently spinning blue has decided to stop - thank goodness! Currently, I'm putting this matter on “hold” (got enough problems without worrying about the PC!). if it should give up completely, I’ll just go over to the iPad - and manage with that.
Thanks for all the input - it’s much appreciated.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:01 pm

I have a confession to make! I’ll say it sotto voce as I don’t want everyone to know! :roll:

I have been to THAT shop in the High Street and, following on from advice given, I have made an Executive Decision: I’m having them “build” me a PC which will have . . . . Windows 10! :o

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:19 pm

Gasps with amazement! Let us know how you get on. When do you pick up aforementioned device?
It's grim up North...

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:34 am

frankiesays wrote:Gasps with amazement! Let us know how you get on. When do you pick up aforementioned device?
Hopefully before Christmas! :roll: I enquired yesterday late morning, went back @ 1:30pm and gave the go-ahead; the owner said to allow 3 days. He said he would phone me a.s.a.p.

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:50 pm

Should be up and running by next week then?
It's grim up North...