The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

My TV's getting very temperamental!

Discussion about all things technological.
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

My TV's getting very temperamental!

Post by Trigger » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:38 pm

Think my TV is approaching the end of it's life - had it 6 years! It's getting somewhat temperamental, e.g. to change from TV to Humax viewing always needs the appropriate button pressed a number of times now. And earlier tonight it changed itself over to Analogue (remember that?) and didn't want to change to/stay on Digital. I unplugged it for a while, and it's going OK at the moment (fingers crossed!). Am thinking that I may need to plan ahead before this one gives up altogether!
It’s a Sony 40” HD, Freeview TV - wouldn’t want to go more than a 42/43” and it doesn’t have to be a Sony. I don’t want a curvaceous TV, nor 4K. Any thoughts, comments, advice would be appreciated.
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: My TV's getting very temperamental!

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:36 pm

It's just over 10 years since I bought what I call a new 'main' TV - (i.e. not one from the cheap end of the market) and my main TV is a Panasonic 37" Plasma and I don't think plasma's are made any more by anybody. However, in the 10 years I have had it, it has not had any problems whatsoever. So I suppose if I was going for a new one at anytime in the future, I would certainly be considering the same make with an LED display.

You never said if it was the button on the remote control or on the TV itself that you had to press several times to get a response. If it's on the remote then maybe it just needs a new remote (or maybe just new batteries :D )
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:13 am

boatbuilder wrote:
You never said if it was the button on the remote control or on the TV itself that you had to press several times to get a response. If it's on the remote then maybe it just needs a new remote (or maybe just new batteries :D )
Thanks for reply. I think it's most likely the remote (or, perhaps the Big Nut behind the remote is the problem!) - I am on the fifth remote unit for this - and, my post was more of "what if" i.e. not able to get the problem sorted. This morning it's working OK - so, fingers crossed,
it will remain so. If it happens again, I'll try my mentioned remedy - unplugging from the mains for a while and try again. In the meantime, I'll search for a replacement remote.

Thanks again.
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:38 am

UPDATE: I’ve spent more time checking this “problem” out. Leaving the remote out of the equation, I’ve turned the set off using the TV’s appropriate switch. Going back on, the TV just “tunes in” the analogue setting; I’ve tried other channels but with the same result. It seems that the ‘digital tuner’ is no longer working. Fortunately, I can still view the digital channels via HDMI and my Humax VCR! :D

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:04 pm

Looks like the bank account could be in for a hammering after all then, Trigger.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:38 pm

boatbuilder wrote:Looks like the bank account could be in for a hammering after all then, Trigger.
'fraid so - but - contributions gratefully received! :lol: At least a similar one today can be got less for than half what I paid for the current one - and there's no hurry as I can still view via the Humax - thank goodness.

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:00 pm

I've got two Toshiba sets of which the youngest is coming up to 6 years old and had no problems with either. I also have a JVC which developed the same problem as yours in that the digital tuner within gave up the ghost. i now use that set with my Humax so not a problem. The JVC is probably in excess of 10 years old.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:30 pm

Trigger wrote:
boatbuilder wrote:Looks like the bank account could be in for a hammering after all then, Trigger.
'fraid so - but - contributions gratefully received! :lol:
Guess what?..................
................ :lol: Image

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:58 pm

boatbuilder wrote:

Guess what?..................
:lol: