The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Computer & Internet Related Problems and Tips

Discussion about all things technological.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Re: Computer & Internet Related Problems and Tips

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:04 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

All rather strange, Trigger. When you say 'log on' do you mean open the home page or when you come to log on with your username? Now, about the greyed-out icon. I had a similar thing happen on my PC after I had done the big W10 update recently. I don't know what caused it but (and I don't know exactly when) it came back to the normal yellow one within 24 hours. Having said that, I really don't know what the cause of the other problem could be as the site's secure connection is OK. My iPad, the latest 'Pro', new within the past eight weeks, is OK but of course that doesn't answer your question. I know there is a Microsoft Edge browser than can be used with the iOS but don't know if it will work with iOS 9 versions, possibly not.

One thing, do you shut the iPad down completely or just put it in standby mode? If not then it might be worth a try re-booting. However, I am sure you have tried that already. It might just be a temporary hiccup which you may find sorts itself out - like my 'favicon' - the little yellow 'thing'. Let us know what happens.

One final thing re the first point of logging on - if you can't get onto the site at all - see what happens if you try using http://mylowestoft.uk - it should redirect you to the .com and might not be any different but give it a try and see what, if anything, happens.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:59 pm

Thanks for reply, John! Sorry my techie terms are not easy to understand but they do come from "The Idiot's Guide to PC Techie Terms! My process is - to go to Safari - home page is Google. I was using the yellow icon for some weeks, but as that's no longer available to me - I type in 'mylowestofT' in the search panel - and it finds it. Now, if I do that I get the message I posted earlier.
Typed in your recommended term - and got "Cannot verify server identity" (see pic), clicked on 'Details' and got details of the certificate (see pic).

"Infamy, infamy - me iPads got it "in fer me!" :D

Methinks I may give this device to Max (my Godson) as I know he hankers for an iPad! Hope to get to Norwich tomorrow and will see what I can at John Lewis' - as they give a 3-year guarantee. Mustn't spend too much though as I almost broke the bank when I bought my TV in August! And that's now developed a minor fault! sadface4
Attachments
IMG_0061_07.jpg
IMG_0061_07.jpg (16.48 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
IMG_0062_07.jpg
IMG_0062_07.jpg (39.46 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:45 pm

I don't think I can offer any further ideas on the problem, Trigger. Because I haven't got the problem on my own iPad, I can't seem to be able to access anything to do with the security certificate for ML on there. As I didn't have Safari on my laptop to see if there was a problem relating to the browser, albeit it would be a different version to that on the iPad, I have downloaded and installed Safari on my laptop. Having accessed ML on Safari I was able to determine that there is no problem with the security certificate as far as Safari is concerned on W10. (See the images below).

One other thing, I haven't got a problem on my 'iPhone 5c' either and that doesn't update any more beyond iOS 10.3.3. Maybe if there is anyone else who has a similar iPad to yourself operating with the same iOS 9.3.5, perhaps they could confirm if they have experienced the same problem as yourself.
Cert 1.JPG
Cert 1.JPG (64.23 KiB) Viewed 1451 times
Cert 2.JPG
Cert 2.JPG (53.67 KiB) Viewed 1451 times

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:07 am

Thanks for info BB - much appreciated. I realise it's most likely a "one off"! It's probably down to the age of both the device and operator! Who knows - I might manage to extract some of the money from underneath my mattress and go on a spending spree! :roll:

PS - on my PC, Kaspersky often warns of problems with the Certificate of many sites.
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:30 pm

Trigger wrote: PS - on my PC, Kaspersky often warns of problems with the Certificate of many sites.
That's probably because of Kremlin intervention. :lol:

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:19 am

Help needed, once again, sorry! I want to try posting images to this forum – from an ‘outside’ source. Don’t know where to begin – so can’t Google for it!
Any basic tips would be much appreciated – e.g. “Where do I start?” :roll:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:45 am

Use the ‘ResizeLink’ BBCode with the full URL of the image. However, remember that if they are not your own images you may be breaching copyright regulations.

There is information on this HERE

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:03 am

Thanks for info, bb - will have a look later.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:29 pm

Last night I ran the Piriform program 'CCleaner', which I have been using for some time now, to 'clean' the computer as I hadn't done so for a while. I set it to close the computer down after finishing, which I have done before, and left it to it and went to bed.

I turned on my computer this morning and eventually discovered that none of my Microsoft Office 365 programs would run - Excel, Word and Outlook are the ones I use on a daily basis. I kept getting a message that the paths to the files either didn't exist or were corrupted. I tried a computer re-boot but it made no difference.

I then decided that the only possible solution was to uninstall Office 365 and then re-install it, which I did - and thankfully it resolved the problem. I wasn't sure if all my email addresses would still be intact in Outlook but thankfully they were, so everything now seems back to normal.

I can only assume that whatever caused the problem was something to do with 'CCleaner', but exactly what, I have no idea? It looks like it will remain a mystery, and was dubious about running the cleaning program again. I didn't want to have to keep reinstalling Office every time, should it happen again. However, tonight I decided to run 'CCleaner' again, whilst there is not much to clean out, to see what happened. Fortunately, after it finished, everything seems OK. .