The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Computer & Internet Related Problems and Tips

Discussion about all things technological.
funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Re: Computer & Internet Related Problems and Tips

Post by funkychick » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:09 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Hi SL Dave everything is normal I can see their cover photo , profile photo and all posts and photos UP to Saturday teatime then nothing although they have posted and were expecting me to see the photos and postings after that time and asked why I hadn't commented on a picture that I was in There is a blockage of some kind happened tea time Saturday and no contact between us since We are both normal with others friends
I filled in the form for reporting a fault they mailed back asking for further details I gave them then a mail back saying unfortunately we don't deal with individual problems and look at FAQ what the hell good was that ?,
If anyone can solve this I ll be well impressed
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:10 pm

Hi SL Dave everything is normal I can see their cover photo , profile photo and all posts and photos UP to Saturday teatime then nothing although they have posted and were expecting me to see the photos and postings after that time and asked why I hadn't commented on a picture that I was in There is a blockage of some kind happened tea time Saturday and no contact between us since We are both normal with others friends
I filled in the form for reporting a fault they mailed back asking for further details I gave them then a mail back saying unfortunately we don't deal with individual problems and look at FAQ what the hell good was that ?,
If anyone can solve this I ll be well impressed
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:37 pm

Do you know what service provider they are with? There is currently some issues with Facebook access and Virgin Media users. Obviously this doesn't apply to anyone living in Lowestoft as we are not cable-covered - thanks to WDC and their greediness regarding license fees for digging up roads - but it could possibly be an issue with them if they are a cable customer. Reports are that it is to do with access, but as each company is blaming the other, there could also be other issues unreported at present.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:21 pm

I would imagine with the millions of members FB has they would find it impossible to deal with all individual personal queries so their response is hardly surprising FC, unlike this forum. :D
Having looked at FB's 'Privacy Settings' and the various options that are available to you when you post relating to who can and can't see something when you make a post and how these options can be chopped and changed at will and how they can subsequently affect future posts, it looks to me like the friend in question just may have unwittingly done something when they posted the picture, or even a message before that which you may not have seen, and not realised it and have therefore managed to cut you out. It is probably only that 'friend' who can now rectify the issue as it seems certain to be something that they may have done.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:23 pm

I don't think so BB we have been on together for over 8 years and there has been no privacy changes made by either of us they are as puzzled as me We were together when the last picture and posting that I can see was posted the very next one I can't and thereafter ...... her settings are identical to mine we have cheques together so no idea what could have been done
Neither of us can have been hacked or compromised as it would be blocking everyone not just one person I presume
Ah well thanks for trying I ll just have to keep trying to solve it

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerch » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:47 am

I have " losted" the images icon on my computer and can't find photos to post ,please don't tell me how to find it again well only get in a bigger muddle and throw the thing in the bin .All started when I TRIED TO GET RID OF CLOUD WHICH I DID N'T WANT AND HAD USED BY ACCIDENT and the next update it all came back .Think the best thing I can do is take it back to the shop and ask if they can sort it . :argument:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:58 am

If you do want to find your images then you should be able to find them through File Explorer. Normally there is a word 'Pictures' showing in the 'Quick Access' section at the top of the left hand pane! of File Explorer. That is assuming you are in Windows 10.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerch » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:04 am

Will have a look thank-you BB

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerch » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:16 am

Images are there it's not thats the real problem ,the file on the PC has disappeared ,the icon is there but if I click on it all I get is message to say it does n't exist . Think I need IT wizard the sort with a magic wand .Photos are on a external hard drive so not a complet disaster.

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:30 am

I'm guessing here, but it seems that the Images icon is actually a shortcut to an application or folder, and that application or folder has been deleted or moved. That would seem to tie in with deleting the cloud - I'm guessing you mean something like Google Drive desktop application. All you need to do - famous last words! - is re-associate the Images icon with the correct location of the images. You already know the location - having previously said they are on an external hard drive - so in theory you should be able to right-click on the icon. A menu will pop up, and you need to change the location of the short cut. There will be an option to change the location, and then you 'find' the new location by browsing in the pop up window to the external drive folder where the images are. Then click on OK, it is possible you may need to restart the computer for this to take effect, although I doubt it. In theory, this should be all you need to do to make it magically start working again.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:50 pm

Obviously when I posted my reply earlier kerch, I wasn't aware your images were on an external drive so the 'Pictures' in the 'Quick Access' wouldn't have taken you there as that would just direct you to the pictures library on the computer which you don't appear to use.
As SL Dave has said the icon would just be a shortcut which you would have to re-associate with the external drive location.

However, you could try this alternative:

In WIndows 10, open 'File Explorer' and in the left hand column locate the folder location on your external drive as shown in the attached image where the 'Pictures' folder in my external 'F' Drive is shown. Highlight the folder then click on the 'Pin to Quick Access' icon at the top left of the screen which I have highlighted in yellow on the image. The folder will then show at the bottom of the 'Quick Access' list at the top of that column with a pin marker alongside. If you want to move it further up in the list you can do so by clicking on it and holding down the left mouse button and dragging it to where you want in the list. However, make sure that before you release the mouse button there is a black line across the column in the place you want it to be with the words 'Pin to Quick access' showing (as in the second image below) to avoid dropping it into one of the other folders.

Whenever you go to post an image on here and the window in which you choose your images from opens up, then you just have to select it from the 'Quick Access' link in the left column.

Hope you find that of help.
Quick Access.JPG
Quick Access.JPG (97.67 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
Quick Access 2.jpg
Quick Access 2.jpg (73.41 KiB) Viewed 1097 times

Cowper
Male/Female: Female

Post by Cowper » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:13 pm

I can totally empathise with Kerch's dilemma. When you're not fully in tune with computer stuff it can be a nightmare, and when you're finally having to ask for guidance it can be even more nightmarish when people give it! I speak from experience. Just one example: I needed to upgrade my old Kindle's software which meant downloading a newer version of the software onto my pc and then loading it into the Kindle. Couldn't do it. Finally phoned Amazon for help. An operator who sounded like she was on the other side of the Atlantic somewhere (which she probably was) spent a good 40 minutes on the phone trying to guide me. She had the patience of a saint but still I wasn't getting it. I eventually felt so sorry for her I ended the call, saying I'd carry on trying by myself. I finally managed it.

And in January we had to buy a new pc because the old one (10 yrs old and with Vista) finally gave up the ghost. This meant having to transfer all my files, photos, downloads, etc.etc. from the old pc into the new one. Couldn't face it, so took it into Northbridge Computers in the High Street and the lovely bloke in there did it all for me for £30 (I gave him £35 and he put the extra fiver into the tea and coffee kitty). My only advice to Kerch would be to take it into a pc shop and get them to sort it out! Grandchildren of course can be lifesavers when it comes to pc problems, if you've got them and they're living close by. My own two young grandsons live in Brittany, so sadly that option isn't open to me.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:16 pm

Cowper wrote:I can totally empathise with Kerch's dilemma. When you're not fully in tune with computer stuff it can be a nightmare, and when you're finally having to ask for guidance it can be even more nightmarish when people give it!
I fully agree Cowper. When I read Boatbuilders and others advice on what to do to help with problems what people have encountered...it is like a foreign language...I know the words but I don't understand the sentences :oops: :lol: :lol:
My Flickr pictures look here

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:16 pm

Mel wrote:I know the words but I don't understand the sentences :oops: :lol: :lol:
A bit like Eric Morecambe at the piano, Mel, he plays all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. :D
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:38 pm

iPad problem! sadface4 This device is, like me, getting on years – and, like me, is probably getting “Past it’s sell-by date”! However, whenever I now try to logon to this site a message pops-up: “Safari cannot open the page because it could not establish a secure connection to the server.” I’ve tried to access throughout the dat. This does not happen with any other site - which does seem rather strange. I only use it for quick reference to the Internet, rather than switching on the PC! It’s iPad2 - model A1395 (IOS 9.3.5)- which was discontinued 18 March, 2014 and I’ve probably had this for 6 or 7 years.
I realise it’s not the site’s fault – but any ideas other than “Don’t be a skinflint – buy a new one!” :lol:

PS I have cleared 'History and Website data' and have just noticed that on my homepage I have a ML icon (yellow background) which is now 'greyed-out' although I've been using the full address to try to access.
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:04 pm

All rather strange, Trigger. When you say 'log on' do you mean open the home page or when you come to log on with your username? Now, about the greyed-out icon. I had a similar thing happen on my PC after I had done the big W10 update recently. I don't know what caused it but (and I don't know exactly when) it came back to the normal yellow one within 24 hours. Having said that, I really don't know what the cause of the other problem could be as the site's secure connection is OK. My iPad, the latest 'Pro', new within the past eight weeks, is OK but of course that doesn't answer your question. I know there is a Microsoft Edge browser than can be used with the iOS but don't know if it will work with iOS 9 versions, possibly not.

One thing, do you shut the iPad down completely or just put it in standby mode? If not then it might be worth a try re-booting. However, I am sure you have tried that already. It might just be a temporary hiccup which you may find sorts itself out - like my 'favicon' - the little yellow 'thing'. Let us know what happens.

One final thing re the first point of logging on - if you can't get onto the site at all - see what happens if you try using http://mylowestoft.uk - it should redirect you to the .com and might not be any different but give it a try and see what, if anything, happens.