The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Computer & Technology News

Discussion about all things technological.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Computer & Technology News

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:05 pm

I thought it might be useful to start a 'news' topic in this board.

To start it off:

Microsoft unveils Windows 10 system with Start Menu

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29431412
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Computer & Technology News

Post by Trigger » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:50 pm

I definitely won't be updating! Windows 7 is good enough for me!
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:30 am

You wont have any choice if you have to change computers Trigger
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerch » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:05 am

Depends on how you change ,if you do as I did have one built the older windows may be still available .It was n't no more expensive than buying a PC off the shelf.Hope that it still works like that ..........

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:30 am

funkychick wrote:You wont have any choice if you have to change computers Trigger
I will! I'll start using my iPad more! But, if I could get a PC with 7 (old stock) on it - or get one made with it - I'd go for that.
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:40 am

Personally, I really can't see the need to have one made these days unless you need something specific built in which can't be had in an off the shelf unit. I don't know what all the fear of 'new' operating systems is. Let them settle down before you move to them until all the (major) 'bugs' have been ironed out.

It's like everything else - things move on. Would you go back to your old B&W TV? :D

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:09 pm

You can always buy a OS free system and then install one of the alternative OS like LINUX etc.
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:09 pm

boatbuilder wrote: I don't know what all the fear of 'new' operating systems is.
I can assure your that "fear" doesn't come into the equation. I simply couldn't be bothered with a new system. As I said in my earlier post, if my PC "pops it's clogs" - I'll use my iPad and not bother with another PC.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:59 am

Trigger wrote:....if my PC "pops it's clogs" - I'll use my iPad and not bother with another PC.
It is horses for courses isn't it Trigger. Myself I like sitting at a desk with a PC (suddenly had visions of Dixon of Dock Green :) ) with a keyboard and mouse, I have a lap top which I must admit I do not use very often and when I do get it out I use a little mouse with that as I find the pad thingy does not like my heavy handiness. Haven't got an iPad as I don't think I really need one but maybe the next time I am in Norwich I will go into the Apple shop and have a play on one and if I like it and I think I would get some use out of it I will buy the wife one for the C word, the word we mustn't say yet :)
My Flickr pictures look here

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:01 am

The reason they are bringing in 10 and missing a number out is because they have had so MANY complaints about 8 Its not fear BB its the fact that it isn't as good I m used to 8 now but I still dislike it and even in my untechnical cloud I can recognise that it is not so easy to use as the previous programmes and Windows knows it too that is why they are removing some of the new things that were put into Windows 8 they even changed from 8 to 8.1 to try and alleviate some differences but have realised that that didn't come anywhere near helping.

Actually hopefully people will be better with 10 than 8 - they are going back to the old start shut down way I believe I don't think anyone likes the 'tiles' and 'charms' system far too fancy and uneccessary
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:44 am

Mel: Like you - I prefer a PC to a laptop - “officially” bought to replace my PC. But, I couldn't' get on with it - so back to the PC. And I need a full-size keyboard - can’t get on with the dinky ones! The iPad is a different critter altogether - different way of usage, etc. - but, once I got the hang of it - I was away and use a lot - especially as it's "instant access"!

It’s worth a visit to the Apple Store to try the devices out. One advantage of buying from them is - they do free training sessions in setting up/using the devices. But - remember, there are other brands available!

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:08 pm

The posts that were made after the above post were not relative to this topic so I have moved them to the 'tips' topic.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:30 pm

Cheers BB It was in the wrong place

I haven't tried an ipad yet one daughter and grandchild has them and loves them son has one and hates it

I haven't used a pc at home for years wouldn't be without my laptop so I can use anywhere

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:41 pm

iPads and tablets serve a purpose but IMO they are not really suitable for lots of things like spreadsheets and writing lengthy documents which is what I do a lot of on my laptop.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:49 pm

Mel: You might find this of interest:

"The 10 best tablets" From Apple’s iPad to Google’s Android Nexus 7, tablet computers let you browse the web, check emails and download apps, all at the touch of a touchscreen.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/r ... blets.html