The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Computer & Technology News

Discussion about all things technological.
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: Computer & Technology News

Post by Trigger » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:25 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

'Li-fi 100 times faster than wi-fi'

A new method of delivering data, which uses the visible spectrum rather than radio waves, has been tested in a working office.
Li-fi can deliver internet access 100 times faster than traditional wi-fi, offering speeds of up to 1Gbps (gigabit per second). It requires a light source, such as a standard LED bulb, an internet connection and a photo detector. It was tested this week by Estonian start-up Velmenni, in Tallinn.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34942685
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by morty1753 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:49 pm

You will definately need an internet contract with unlimited download for that sort of speed.
I before E except after C - That's weird

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:17 pm

Apple releases iPhone battery case

The achillies heel of the modern smartphone is battery life, hence the multitude of battery packs and third-party battery boosting cases flooding onto the market. It’s solved a problem, but you’ve had to get that solution from elsewhere.

Now Apple has finally decided to step into the battery case game itself, and has launched its own slim case for iPhone 6S and 6. It looks very similar to the company’s existing range of iPhone cases, but this one has a built-in battery that promises to increase your talk time up to 25 hours or give you a further 18 hours of surfing on a 4G connection.

The case, which slips over the iPhone rather than bolt around it, will come in two colours – charcoal or white. Of course it does however add some extra length and thickness to the iPhone, but there’s always going to be a trade-off.

The case is currently only available for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6S and costs £79.99. There is no word whether the company will be releasing a version for the iPhone 6 Plus or 6S Plus, or customers using the iPhone 5, 5S and older devices.

http://www.coolsmartphone.com/2015/12/0 ... tery-case/

At £80, except for a penny, I don't think I will bother. I recently bought a portable charger for a fraction of that price that will add a further 8 to 10 hours of talk time to my phone. It charges through a USB cable from the computer or a USB wall socket plug into lithium-ion batteries and this in turn will not only charge my phone but also my camera's battery so I think it will come in very handy.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:19 pm

AVG's Web TuneUp put millions of Chrome users at risk

It has emerged that a popular tool meant to ward off malware contained a flaw that put millions of people's personal data at risk.
AVG's Web TuneUp software is marketed as a free way for users to defend themselves from "hidden threats".
But earlier this month Google's security team spotted that it was overriding safety features built into the search firm's Chrome browser.
AVG said it had addressed the problem, but it now faces repercussions.
Google's Tavis Ormandy first flagged the issue to other members of his Project Zero team on 15 December.
He highlighted that Web TuneUp was "force installing" a plug-in into Chrome, meaning that users of the product had no way to opt out of it altering the browser's settings.
As a result, he said, people's internet history and other personal data could be seen by others if they knew where to look online. Furthermore, he said, the code could potentially let hackers spy on people's email and other online activities.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35198435

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:44 pm

Apple tackles iOS 9.3 update glitch

iPhone and iPad owners locked out of their devices because of a problem with Apple's latest mobile operating system have been provided with a solution.
The iOS 9.3 update caused some older versions of the phones and tablets to require the IDs and passwords previously used to set them up. Many people complained that their machines had become unusable because they had forgotten or did not know the details.
Apple has detailed a workaround.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35898788
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:58 pm

HP apologises for lack of communication over 'timebomb' software update

HP has promised to reverse a software update which left printer owners unable to use third-party ink cartridges, apologising to customers for the lack of communication.
The software update left printers rejecting ink cartridges that did not contain a security chip made by HP, even if the printer had previously accepted the ink cartridges and printed perfectly acceptably. Worse, the update appeared to fire on a time-delay: it was shipped in March, but ink cartridges were only rejected in September.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... are-update

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by morty1753 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:18 pm

I certainly hope Epson aren't going to try that trick. I would end up skint in no time.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:59 pm

Adobe Voco 'Photoshop-for-voice' causes concern

A new application that promises to be the "Photoshop of speech" is raising ethical and security concerns.
Adobe unveiled Project Voco last week. The software makes it possible to take an audio recording and rapidly alter it to include words and phrases the original speaker never uttered, in what sounds like their voice.
One expert warned that the tech could further undermine trust in journalism.
Another said it could pose a security threat.
However, the US software firm says it is taking action to address such risks.

Voice manipulation
At a live demo in San Diego on Thursday, Adobe took a digitised recording of a man saying "and I kissed my dogs and my wife" and changed it to say "and I kissed Jordan three times".
The edit took seconds and simply involved the operator overtyping a transcript of the speech and then pressing a button to create the synthesised voice track.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37899902

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:47 pm

I doubt they will get the inflection right though.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:41 pm

TalkTalk and Post Office routers hit by cyber-attack

Thousands of TalkTalk and Post Office customers have had their internet access cut by an attack targeting certain types of internet routers.
A spokeswoman for the Post Office told the BBC that the problem began on Sunday and had affected about 100,000 of its customers.
Talk Talk also confirmed that some of its customers had been affected, and it was working on a fix.
It is not yet known who is responsible for the attack.
Earlier in the week, Germany's Deutsche Telekom revealed that up to 900,000 of its customers had lost their internet connection as a result of the attack.
It involves the use of a modified form of the Mirai worm - a type of malware that is spread via hijacked computers, which causes damage to equipment powered by Linux-based operating systems.
Mirai was also involved in an earlier attack that caused several of the world's leading websites to become inaccessible, including Spotify, Twitter and Reddit.
Several models of router are vulnerable to the latest cyber-assault, including the Zyxel AMG1302, which is used by the Post Office.
"We would like to reassure customers that no personal data or devices have been compromised," said the Post Office's spokeswoman.
"We have identified the source of the problem and implemented a resolution which is currently being rolled out to all customers.
"For those customers who are still having problems, we are advising them to reboot their router."
Doing so causes the machine to make use of updated software.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38167453

Aussie K
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by Aussie K » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:38 pm

I Purchased a new Apple pro laptop and I have Microsoft office which is my property transferred on to my new apple. Microsoft brought out a new excel, and it keeps corrupting my existing excel by automatically changing to the new update that they have brought out. At first I thought well thats not so bad but I subsequently found I couldn't save the new work. I have huge difficulties trying to get back to my old excel or even deleting the new one.
I was at my wits end and I decided to buy the new excel. To my shock and horror I found that you cannot even buy a new one it has to be hired at about £100.00 per year
I have a struggle to keep deleting it, although I seem to be going through a bit of a purple patch at the moment, but it will come back.
It seems to me that this is deliberate to make customers hire in new programmes.
I hope thats not all Gobbledygook.

Aussie K
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by Aussie K » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:44 pm

That last post of mine was another of my senility clangers, I was follow ing on from page 1.
However some one may comment on it.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:21 pm

I don't know how the Microsoft Office fits in with Apple computers Aussie but if you have an earlier version installed then I don't see how a later version can get mixed up with your older version. I purchased MS Office 2007 Home & Student (for PC) some years ago and this came with three licences. I had it installed on a Windows Vista Laptop when I first purchased it and when I bought the next laptop which ran Windows 7 it had a different free version (Office 2011 Starter) already installed on it so I used that for a while and then found that I couldn't do a number of things with that version as it was very basic so I installed the 2007 version using the second licence. The two versions never interfered with each other and I didn't have to uninstall the 2011 version before using the older one. When I bought my latest laptop with Windows 10 it has a trial version of what is probably the same one you are talking about 'Office 365', which I didn't want to subscribe to like yourself, and then I found out that my 2007 version will still run on Windows 10 so installed that using the third licence I had. I certainly don't agree with the new idea of a subscription version.

Aussie K
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by Aussie K » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:21 pm

You're like me bb I don't know either but it all happened when I purchased the new MacBook Pro . I had my licence no and disc;s and loaded it on to the Macbook Pro, being computer illiterate I couldn't transfer all my previous data, but my son came over and used my remote hard drive to to transfer over all my data and it was successful until I tried to get onto excel. Messages kept coming up saying it was illegal & I didn't have a licence etc. my son came over again and worked on tan d eventually thought he had succeeded. It wasn't until he had gone that I tried to save my work the problem cropped up, it would not save my work. It persistently got corrupted by the new excel and it was the new one because it had turned green and a different Icon with green on it.
I copy the work i have done and move the new icon to trash because I cannot delete it then I reload my old work from the old icon and copy my new work to it.

it's happened several times, my intention is if the opportunity arise to take it into the apple shop and ask them to sort it out. That is free by the way.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:35 pm

It all sounds rather confusing to me Aussie. I am not sure what you mean by transferring the data unless you mean the files you have created in Excel - i.e. the spreadsheets. Do you know how many licences you got with the software when you bought it as it sounds like it is stating it is illegal because it is not covered by a licence key. It may have had only one licence for that key when you bought it.

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by morty1753 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:35 pm

Aussie K wrote:I Purchased a new Apple pro laptop
Just bought one also, nice aren't they :D