The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Computer & Technology News

Discussion about all things technological.
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: Computer & Technology News

Post by Trigger » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:49 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Mel: You might find this of interest:

"The 10 best tablets" From Apple’s iPad to Google’s Android Nexus 7, tablet computers let you browse the web, check emails and download apps, all at the touch of a touchscreen.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/r ... blets.html
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:03 am

Trigger wrote:Mel: You might find this of interest:
Thanks for that Trigger, had a look through the ten and apart from the very cheapest they seem much the same, but the iPad Air and the Samsung with the 10" screen would probably be my choice...but do I really need one :? :? :D
My Flickr pictures look here

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:45 am

I have a Samsung not with a 10 " screen though and I like it Mel only down side is it loses charge quickly
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:30 pm

I see Windows 10 is about to be released, don't know what happened to 9 though??
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:48 pm

Frankie, if you read this topic from post#1 you will see that was the news that started the topic. :roll:
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:50 pm

oops!
It's grim up North...

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:33 am

Mel wrote: ...but do I really need one :? :? :D
Of course you need one, Mel!

I‘m glad that I’ve got mine - used mainly for what I call “lighter usage. Most importantly - it goes into operation immediately you open it - no waiting around for the PC to “warm up”!
But it’s useful for getting info / shopping , etc. But I wouldn’t want to use it for the “heavier work” I do - that’s where the PC comes. But - it’s “horses for courses”!

Get yourself one, Mel - and you’ll sleep a lot better after you’ve taken some of that money from under your mattress! :D
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:00 pm

Trigger wrote:Get yourself one, Mel - and you’ll sleep a lot better after you’ve taken some of that money from under your mattress! :D
I must admit Trigger those half crowns and florins certainly make the bed lumpy :)

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:57 am

Mel wrote: I must admit Trigger those half crowns and florins certainly make the bed lumpy :)
At least there’s an easy way for you to make the mattress less lumpy - spend your money!! :roll:

Talking of “lumpy mattresses” reminds me of a motoring holiday a neighbour and I did many years ago - touring in Scotland and staying in B&Bs. The owner of one such place was a big Scotsman with ginger hair and beard - and he was wearing a kilt. Our beds didn’t have a “real” mattress - just a straw-filled palliasse! :D

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:19 pm

Please keep this topic for news items. The last post on here has been moved to this topic on 'tips'

http://mylowestoft.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... &start=219
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:03 pm

Trigger wrote:At least there’s an easy way for you to make the mattress less lumpy - spend your money!! :roll:
There is some good news and some bad news on the purchase of my iPad; the good news is that on taking advice from Trigger in getting rid of some of those half crowns sewn into my mattress I have bought an iPad Air (John Lewis, Norwich)...and even better news I have actually set it up and it is working OK, no help from Apple though as inside the box apart from the iPad all there was was a charger and cable and a little card that told me where the buttons were situated...luckily whilst waiting for the train at Norwich I went into WH Smiths and saw a magazine called 'iPad For Beginners' which I decided to buy as I thought it would come in handy, and on opening the iPad box when I got home it certainly did!!

The bad news is that the wife who has never shown an interest in computers or the internet has decided that the iPad is her entrance into the 21st century and has taken control of it, she has offered to pay me 50% of the cost but I am trying to negotiate at least a 75% rebate on my outlay. The trouble is she is soon going to be roaming the internet and will probably be having a little look at this site so I am going to have to be careful from now on what I say about her ;)

My first impressions of the iPad is that I like it and I am sure I will soon get used to its ways, the squeezing of the fingers and the flicking of the fingers and trying to type with two fingers. All joking aside though I am pleased the wife is taking an interest in the iPad as there is so much of internet related stuff going on nowadays that I believe there was a lot she was missing out on. Also when she ask me to find out something for her I can say 'Go Google it yourself' :lol:

There is even some bad bad news, when I was setting up the iPad I entered my credit card details, I know it is frightening isn't it...I haven't told her though and I have explained to her that you can't actually shop on iPads all you can do is look at items, I put on my most honest face when telling her this little white lie so fingers crossed.... 8-)

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by kerch » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:08 pm

Can't see that little white lie working for long . :oops:

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:17 am

kerch wrote:Can't see that little white lie working for long . :oops:
Neither can I Kerch :( ;)

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Post by Suffolkboy » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:26 pm

I am so glad some of you have finally cottoned on to how good Apple products are,how ever not so sure about the latest Iphone which apparently bends.

As for the Credit card - what can I say? Your post had me nearly in tears with laughter. Keep 'em coming Mel I look forward to reading your posts daily - the highlight of my day. dancer1 dancer1
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:14 pm

I have an Ipod and I have used an Ipad though the pod is fine for what it does for me (music and as a small handy diary/note pad)
the Ipad was a flop! sorry it could not do what I needed and even Apple agreed they did not have software that could help at this moment in time.
I still have to use XP for a lot of the data as the systems the vessels I work on only work with the data that XP use. or even to the extent to say that XP is about the newest OS which can read that data, (there is new data available though the cost is mind blowing)
I carry a laptop that has a DVD drive and can link to burn a disc of info from the ship, the Ipad needed and external DVD drive ( carry two units not one) the F keys control functions within the program and if the "on screen keyboard was there the track lines were too small to read.
As I said it was a flop for me though the boss loves his for doing his stuff on (just glad he could not interfere with our data stuff) :lol: :lol: :lol:
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:41 pm

Mel wrote: There is some good news and some bad news on the purchase of my iPad; the good news is that on taking advice from Trigger in getting rid of some of those half crowns sewn into my mattress
At last - you've spent some of your money!! At least you'll sleep better at night now! :D

The iPad is a very good device - and I enjoy using it. However, knowing what I know now - I wouldn't have bought an IPad as such. I should have researched the subject more - because I would have bought a similar product for less money. I think the Apple products, good as they are, are over-priced. And I never recommend them - merely advising to research the products before deciding. The "tablet" devices - or whatever they're called are, are all very similar.