The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Computer & Technology News

Discussion about all things technological.
frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: Computer & Technology News

Post by frankiesays » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:32 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

If you are also running the female sat-nav "voice" will the car still be able to park itself? Or will you have to get out and do it yourself? ;-)
It's grim up North...

Meryl
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Male/Female: female

Post by Meryl » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:48 pm

frankiesays wrote:If you are also running the female sat-nav "voice" will the car still be able to park itself? Or will you have to get out and do it yourself? ;-)

Behave yourself

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:30 pm

Historic Apple 1 computer sold at auction

A fully operational Apple 1 computer has been sold at auction for $365,000 (£230,000).

It is the only machine known to have been personally sold by Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, from a garage in California in 1976.

Fewer than 50 Apple 1 computers are now believed to be in existence.

The original Apple Computer - now referred to as the Apple 1 - was hand-made by Steve Wozniak, an engineer who co-founded Apple, with Jobs, in the 1970s. When new, the machines sold for $666.66.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30447563

I wonder who 'the devil' would have paid $666.66 for one back in the 1970's? Image
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Post by Suffolkboy » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:39 pm

As 2014 comes to an end my treasured Apple desktop has developed a problem,being 6 years young it has number keys on the right of the keyboard as well as at the top,the problem is associated with the number keys on the right of the keyboard. Each time I key a number from the right numbers everything freezers and the only way out seems to be pulling out the power plug and restarting it up which takes time and is very frustrating. It seems OK if I do not use the right hand keys,trouble is old habits die hard and it is natural for me to go for the right hand number keys. sadface1
So today had to have my Apple admitted to the A&E (PC World) for observation and analysis ( seems old Murphy is still up to his tricks :( ) I did buy a new keyboard with the understanding if it wasn't the problem I could take it back and claim a refund. Well life isn't that simple and the new keyboard presented the same problem so I got my refund and had to admit the dear old Apple to the PC World A&E Consultant. I have my fingers and toes crossed and am hoping that I do not have to shell out for a new PC,if I do it will be an Apple again as I cannot fault them other than having this first problem in 6 years.
I am back on line tonight by kind permission of SWMBO using her laptop - seems only yesterday I gave her this as a Christmas present and actually it is 3 years ago,how time seems to fly when we get older.At the time I gave her the laptop she was horrified because she did not want any stress at that time as she was very unwell,now I am glad to say she is much better and uses the laptop daily so I must not use it more than necessary.

As an aside,PC World is almost opposite ASDA at Norwich where they have recently opened a new M&S Food store,it was unbelievably busy as I had to que to get into the car park for PC World. Never thought that it would be so popular with the prices being that more than the Supermarkets. Just shows what little I know about shopping.
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:24 pm

SB would it not have been better to visit the boys n girls in the Apple store? in Norwich rather than the (I must refrain from my opinion) PC World who are probably less knowledgeable on Apple or Windows come to that.

And those at the A store would have access to a direct system setting which may cure your bad apple
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suffolkboy » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:08 pm

Nikkai, I thought about going to the Apple store,however I decided against this option due to the hassle of going to the city,parking and knowing that an appointment is required when dealing with the technical staff.By going to PC World it is about 7 minutes from mine,I can park directly outside the shop and am able to speak about my problem to staff,as I said I purchased a new keyboard to try on their suggestion with the proviso of a refund if it didn't cure the problem which it didn't. I thought they were very fair so I then packed my Apple into the original box (always keep original boxes just in case ) which made it a little easier to carry although it was very heavy with the keyboard etc,claimed my refund and then I was invited to be with a technical bod who did some checks about the keyboard on line. The conclusion being a lot of things were not correct other than the keyboard so all data will be downloaded and the system restored again,hopefully this will cure the problem.
I could have telephoned Apple at the Apple Care which I have purchased when buying a new device from Apple ,this covers the first 3 years and of course I am not covered now because I have had my Apple 6 years,they will help on the phone provided I give them my credit number before sorting the problem,this I do not do.
When using the Apple Care in the past I have found the Dutch,German,Irish or English I am able to understand,unfortunately some of the other reps from countries who speak quickly I have found difficult - I will say no more as I know you will understand what I am saying.
If they are unable at PC World to cure the problem I may well have to contact Apple.

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Ah I see SB, I did see that you mentioned your unit was 6 years of age and I do know that if you "drop in" on the A store with a genuine ISO issue you will find there is staff who will assist. if not to actually do the fix but let you know of the direction you need to go.
I have a lady friend who is an Apple addict and did the above on two instances with her all in one thingy which was very heavy (or it just seemed to be as I carried it a long way)
She now has a very new unit which is covered by the apple care which make me happy as I am really not up to speed with Apple systems.
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:42 pm

Looks like your Apple might be rotten to the core at 6 years old, SB. :lol:

Sorry SB, I couldn't resist that one. :oops:

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suffolkboy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:03 am

boatbuilder wrote:Looks like your Apple might be rotten to the core at 6 years old, SB. :lol:

Sorry SB, I couldn't resist that one. :oops:
:lol: Just knew someone would crack that one - enough to drive one to drink drinker3 :D

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:08 am

Suffolkboy wrote: - enough to drive one to drink drinker3 :D
At this time of the morning? :D

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suffolkboy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:13 am

At this time of the morning? :D

I know it is bad BB,then I am lost now my Apple diet has been taken away. :lol: :lol:

ps,Who has jumbled up the smilies ? They have been moved about,that is the ones at the bottom.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:24 am

my daughter has used the Norwich Apple store for their various ipods ipads etc etc which I have no understanding off but she has found them very fair and usually comes away with a new exchange I agree its a nuisance getting up to Norwich making appointments etc but they have been great apart from that
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:30 am

I have just had top uninstall McAffe Scan PLus yet again which managed to slip through when I ran a Flash Player update Grrrr. It is so annoying when they "pre-tick" these options for you. I was paying attention too!
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:37 pm

Windows 10 upgrade to be 'free' for one year

Microsoft has announced that its next operating system will be offered as a free upgrade to owners of devices running Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Phone.

The announcement marks a change in strategy to its previous policy of charging for major updates.

The offer, which is limited to the OS's first year of release, may aid its adoption.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30924022

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:08 am

They have also stopped supporting Windows7
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:28 am

That's only mainstream support not extended support which means Windows 7 can be safely used for another five years.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2462643/ ... -year.html