The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Coins

Here you can discuss and exchange ideas on any hobbies and interests you have with other members.
morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: Coins

Post by morty1753 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:23 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Seems the Royal Mint thinks a Joey is a thruppenny bit. I guess they should know

http://blog.royalmint.com/coin-nickname ... or-change/
I before E except after C - That's weird

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:45 pm

that may be where I was muddled I forgot there used to be a silver threepenny bit
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:59 pm

A 'Joey' what my mum and dad used to refer to the silver 3d pieces as.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Post by Suffolkboy » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:17 pm

We always knew the Joey as a silver 3d coin which appeared each Christmas in the Christmas pud. A quick search in the old vault ;) revealed we do still have some.
Joeys
Joeys
DSCN6590.JPG (62.58 KiB) Viewed 4361 times
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:41 pm

It’s worth remembering that the fourpenny piece (issued 1836) was also known as a groat, or “Joey” - after Joseph Hume, MP, who spoke in Parliament in favour of its introduction.
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:09 am

Certainly an informative topic this one, it seems the expression 'going on a bender' comes from the nickname of a sixpenny piece...

Bender – A sixpence was known as a bender because due to its silver content it could be bent in the hands. This was commonly done to create ‘love tokens’, many of which survive in collections to this day. The value of a sixpence was also enough to get thoroughly inebriated as taverns would often allow you to drink all day for tuppence. This gave rise to the expression ‘Going on a bender’. Copied from royalmint.com
My Flickr pictures look here

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:26 am

Mel wrote:The value of a sixpence was also enough to get thoroughly inebriated as taverns would often allow you to drink all day for tuppence. This gave rise to the expression ‘Going on a bender’. Copied from royalmint.com
Certainly long before our time Mel. :D drinker3

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat May 02, 2015 9:59 pm

The Royal Mint didn't waste much time. Just received details in an email - £5 Silver Proof coin for £80

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/The_Royal ... duct_Image

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Sun May 03, 2015 8:41 pm

boatbuilder wrote:From time to time over the past 15-20 years I have purchased a number of sets of UK Proof Coins. I recently added the 2015 set, which incorporates the new portrait of the Queen, to my collection and today I decided to try and photograph them but they are not easy to do, particularly as a complete set, mainly because the coins are enclosed in an air-tight (unfortunately reflective) sleeve which shouldn't be opened to avoid spoiling the coins and thus reducing their value as proof coins.

After various trials I found the best way was to set the SLR up on a tripod and take the pictures with a flash from a distance of about 2 metres using a telephoto lens set to about 200-mm and at a slight angle from above with a black cloth underneath and in front of the coin set to minimise any reflection from the table. The other problem was the light refracting through the sleeve which gives rise to a slight 'ghosting' in parts with some of the coins and which is more obvious with the Queen's portrait and particularly noticeable when the images are viewed at full size. Of course it may well have been easier with proper studio lighting but unfortunately I don't have those luxuries at my disposal. :(

Anyway, here are some of the results.
Did you try pointing your flashgun behind you onto something white or using a defuser on it to reduce the glare a bit?
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun May 03, 2015 9:01 pm

The simple answer to your question Frankie is 'no'. The flash is built in so can't point it behind. Even a flash attached to the hot shoe woukd have to point forward - I don't know if they are 'reversible' as I've never even tried it. I do have a separate Canon flash but that was bought over 30 years ago for the 35mm A1 camera and I've never tried it. I found the method I used OK but next time I decide to take some more similar pictures will try alternatives.

Whilst talking about that set of coins, I received a rigid cardboard-backed envelope in the post yesterday with 'Do Not Bend' printed on it and wondered what it was before I opened it as there was no sender details on the envelope. On opening I discovered it was a letter from the Royal Mint with another booklet in it similar to the one in the first picture I posted of the coins. There was an error in the printing of the original booklet which they had corrected and so sent out replacement booklets. I did spot an error when I first read the original booklet but now can't remember what it was. As yet I haven't got round to re-reading it to discover what it was. Might do so later - for my bedtime reading. :D

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Mon May 04, 2015 9:51 am

boatbuilder wrote:The Royal Mint didn't waste much time. Just received details in an email - £5 Silver Proof coin for £80
I see you can get a Royal Birth Celebration Sovereign for £500 Boatbuilder or if you want you can get the £5 Gold Proof coin for £1800...I imagine there will be quite a few people take up the offer too.
My Flickr pictures look here

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue May 26, 2015 12:31 pm

Found an unusual coin in my change - looked closer and . . . it’s a Golden Guinea! Then I realised that it actually states: “The Anniversary of the Golden Guinea 2013” - and it’s only a £2 coin! sadface4
IMG_0117_05.jpg
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:55 pm

Spent some time yesterday taking more pictures of my coin collection. These are images of the Proof sets of the circulating coinage of the years 1996 to 1998. I have given some further detail with each image.
1996 Proof Set.<br />The £2 coin (old style) commemorated the European Football Championships staged in England.<br />The £5 coin (centre) commemorated the Queen's 70th birthday
1996 Proof Set.
The £2 coin (old style) commemorated the European Football Championships staged in England.
The £5 coin (centre) commemorated the Queen's 70th birthday
1997 Proof Set.<br />The year saw the introduction of the smaller 50p coin and the new style bi-colour £2 coin.<br />The £5 coin (centre) was to commemorate the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh's Golden Wedding
1997 Proof Set.
The year saw the introduction of the smaller 50p coin and the new style bi-colour £2 coin.
The £5 coin (centre) was to commemorate the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh's Golden Wedding
1998 Proof Set.<br />The 50p coin at the top right was to commemorate 25 years of EU membership.<br />The £5 coin (centre) was to commemorate the Prince of Wales' 50th birthday.
1998 Proof Set.
The 50p coin at the top right was to commemorate 25 years of EU membership.
The £5 coin (centre) was to commemorate the Prince of Wales' 50th birthday.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:19 am

A few days ago I received my £2 silver proof coin to commemorate the 800th Anniversary of Magna Carta. The certificate of authenticity is just one number short of matching the anniversary :D
P1020115 (2).JPG
P1020115.JPG
P1020116 (2).JPG

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:10 pm

The latest coin in my collection arrived today. The £20 Silver coin issued to commemorate The Queen's Longest Reign on 9th September.
£20 Longest Reign Silver.JPG
£20 Reverse.JPG
£20 Obverse.JPG

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:12 am

I added some more coins to my collection last week. This one is the £5 Brilliant-Uncirculated coin commemorating HM The Queen's Sapphire Jubilee which is complemented with a £5 First Day Cover Postage Stamp.
£5 Sapphire Coin.jpg
Sapphire First Day Cover & £5 coin.jpg