The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Coins

Here you can discuss and exchange ideas on any hobbies and interests you have with other members.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Coins

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:42 pm

From time to time over the past 15-20 years I have purchased a number of sets of UK Proof Coins. I recently added the 2015 set, which incorporates the new portrait of the Queen, to my collection and today I decided to try and photograph them but they are not easy to do, particularly as a complete set, mainly because the coins are enclosed in an air-tight (unfortunately reflective) sleeve which shouldn't be opened to avoid spoiling the coins and thus reducing their value as proof coins.

After various trials I found the best way was to set the SLR up on a tripod and take the pictures with a flash from a distance of about 2 metres using a telephoto lens set to about 200-mm and at a slight angle from above with a black cloth underneath and in front of the coin set to minimise any reflection from the table. The other problem was the light refracting through the sleeve which gives rise to a slight 'ghosting' in parts with some of the coins and which is more obvious with the Queen's portrait and particularly noticeable when the images are viewed at full size. Of course it may well have been easier with proper studio lighting but unfortunately I don't have those luxuries at my disposal. :(

Anyway, here are some of the results.
Proof Set in Case
Proof Set in Case
Obverse
Obverse
Reverse
Reverse
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Coins

Post by Trigger » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:34 pm

BB: Excellent photos - especially realising how difficult it can be to get them with no reflections! Did you also get a few of the Gold Sovereigns? :lol:
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:01 pm

Trigger wrote:BB: Excellent photos - especially realising how difficult it can be to get them with no reflections! Did you also get a few of the Gold Sovereigns? :lol:
Thanks, Trigger. I might try and see what sort of pictures I can get with some of my older sets.

I'm afraid I didn't get any Gold Sovereigns but I do have some £2 proof coins in Silver with the outer ring 22 Carat Gold Plated. It's my birthday in a little under three months so if you want to treat me to some Gold Sovereigns they would be a much appreciated present. Image

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Post by Suffolkboy » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:49 pm

boatbuilder wrote:I'm afraid I didn't get any Gold Sovereigns but I do have some £2 proof coins in Silver with the outer ring 22 Carat Gold Plated. It's my birthday in a little under three months so if you want to treat me to some Gold Sovereigns they would be a much appreciated present. Image
Looks to me like you already have enough BB,perhaps we should share them out to LOL members. ;) :lol:

Nice photos though.
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

MEG
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by MEG » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:59 pm

My friend Jill and her children and me and Michelle arrived in England after the coins were first changed-we had no idea what was what!!We tipped a porter something and he thanked us profusely.Didn't take long to learn the money though.By the next time we visited the coins had changed again and Barclays wouldn't take some of them.These were ones we had kept from our last visit.We have lots of the old pennies,halfpennies etc and a Churchill Crown among other coins.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:50 am

boatbuilder wrote: It's my birthday in a little under three months so if you want to treat me to some Gold Sovereigns they would be a much appreciated present.
Thanks for the early hint about your forthcoming birthday Whilst I would be delighted to meet your request, unfortunately, at my greatly advanced age, there are more pressing needs to cause me to draw money from my bank account at Coutts.

But, do enjoy your birthday - and just make sure the fire brigade definitely are on standby when you light all those candles!
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:28 am

Trigger wrote: But, do enjoy your birthday - and just make sure the fire brigade definitely are on standby when you light all those candles!
I'm sure you have more candles on your cake than me. :D

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:30 am

boatbuilder wrote:
I'm sure you have more candles on your cake than me. :D
Don't you believe it!! My "birthday" cake is now a Cupcake with ONE candle on it. This is because a few years ago there were not that many candles on the cake - but, after being lit - we had to get the fire brigade in. Image

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:02 pm

Now here is a £500 coin for the 'Wish List' :D

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/Lunar_Yea ... Proof_Coin

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:09 pm

Found this interesting page about 'oddly shaped coins'

http://blog.royalmint.com/oddly-shaped-coins/

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:21 am

boatbuilder wrote:Found this interesting page about 'oddly shaped coins'
There are certainly some great shaped coins there Boatbuilder, the Somali geometrics would certainly be a pain in your pocket and I don't know if I like the idea of a scratch and sniff coin. I think maybe the Bermudian triangle coins might be prone to disappearing though :lol:
My Flickr pictures look here

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:40 am

My favourite odd-shaped’ coin (from me ‘yoof’!) was the “thrupenny bit” - or “Joey”! It has a long history: “The three pence coin – expressed in writing as "3d" – first appeared in England during the fine silver coinage of King Edward VI (1547–53), when it formed part of a set of new denominations.” Source: Wikipedia.
Attachments
Joey.jpg
Joey.jpg (6.62 KiB) Viewed 4095 times

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:45 am

Now you ve surprised me as I always thought a joey was the lttle tiny silver sixpence blow wrong all these years
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:58 am

Don't despair - you may well be right! I seem to recall, through the whirling mists of time, that, as a kid, we called the threepenny piece a "joey". But, that's no way definite!

Did a bit of "research" and, according to the OED: Joey -A threepenny bit - slang

Earliest references:

1936 - George Orwell - “Keep the aspidistra flying” “He took out the miserable little threepenny-bit.”
1965 “Australian Post (Melbourne)” - A ‘joey’ was originally London slang for a fourpenny bit; and later was transferred to the English threepence).

Can also can recall the "silver" 3d piece that Mum put in the Christmas Pud! Don't think I ever got the piece with the coin in it - unless I swallowed it! :D But, sometimes families used words/terms which were often just theirs. As a kid, if anything in the house couldn't be found - it was said to be "Probably, up in Nellie's room"! Still haven't found out who Nellie was!
Attachments
Threepence.jpg
Threepence.jpg (14.18 KiB) Viewed 4125 times

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by morty1753 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:23 am

Seems the Royal Mint thinks a Joey is a thruppenny bit. I guess they should know

http://blog.royalmint.com/coin-nickname ... or-change/
I before E except after C - That's weird