The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Cycling

Here you can discuss and exchange ideas on any hobbies and interests you have with other members.
frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: Cycling

Post by frankiesays » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:20 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

The only person I knew in the wheelers around that time was John Thomson, I was in the same year as him at school.
It's grim up North...

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:36 pm

frankiesays wrote:The only person I knew in the wheelers around that time was John Thomson
He is still into his cycling Frankiesays and is a regular contributor to the letters page in the Journal, usually writing about the benefits of cycling.
My Flickr pictures look here

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Post by Suffolkboy » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:55 pm

I also can remember John Thompson from my days as a wheeler and have often read his letters over the years about cycling and various Lowestoft issues.
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:37 am

I was in Norwich admiring this car and decided to take a picture, whilst taking it I noticed a young lady glide past through the view-finder of my camera. Looking up I saw she was riding a unicycle, riding it very well too. I have never had a go on a unicycle...I don't think my balance would be good enough!!
Attachments
ucml.jpg
uc1ml.jpg

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suffolkboy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:45 am

Mel wrote:I was in Norwich admiring this car and decided to take a picture, whilst taking it I noticed a young lady glide past through the view-finder of my camera. Looking up I saw she was riding a unicycle, riding it very well too. I have never had a go on a unicycle...I don't think my balance would be good enough!!
Are you really looking at the unicycle Mel??

I was more interested in the car. ;) :lol:

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:51 am

Suffolkboy wrote:I was more interested in the car. ;) :lol:
Yeah.....me too Suffolkboy ;) :)

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suffolkboy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:48 pm

Mel wrote:
Suffolkboy wrote:I was more interested in the car. ;) :lol:
Yeah.....me too Suffolkboy ;) :)
Us old boys never change. :high5: dancer1

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:41 pm

What car?
It's grim up North...

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:23 pm

frankiesays wrote:What car?
;) ;) :lol:
Attachments
toml.jpg

jonboy
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by jonboy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:10 am

Ahh Cycling...my one true love , well one of my true loves ( sorry darling ).

I started cycling late in life ,some 20 years ago and still enjoy getting out and about .
I have cycled the Canal du Midi in France (350 klms )....The Chemin St Jaques de Compostela from St Jean Pied de Port in France to Santiago de Compostella in Spain (900 klms).......Ouarzazate / Zagora circuit in Morocco (350klms) and in October last year i cycled from Seville to Salamanca in Spain (565 klms) . Salamanca was not my intended destination but due to back ache i could not continue on to Santiago so i returned home .
The reason for this posting is this .....in late April i plan to return to Salamanca and finish the last 490 klms to Santiago and was wondering if any adventurous souls would like to join me ? . I am not a good cyclist ,i dont like hills , i dont ride fast but i do like being on a bike . I did the first 565 klms on my own and am not averse to continuing like that ,but as i have lots of info , advice ,maps etc i thought it may interest another adventurous cyclist out there . dancer1

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by kerch » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:54 am

You could have passed me,I walk by the canal all the time as it runs through the village I live in .
As for cycling the last time I got on a bike I FELL OFF,enough said.

jonboy
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by jonboy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:21 am

Kerch....i lived in France for some 20 years ( Poitou Charentes ) and one reason i cycled the Canal du Midi was to visit some friends who live in the village of Homps , by the canal . In fact Guy and Maria had bought a dutch barge in Holland , had 8 metres cut out of the length of the hull so it would fit the locks around Paris , then they sailed it to Homps and the last time i saw him he was converting it into a live aboard at the canal side . It was the biggest barge around there ( i think he named it the "maria " ) but as this was some 7 years ago maybe he has finished it and moved on .

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by kerch » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:21 pm

People who live on barges tend to move around a fair bit and they cycle a lot.Have n't seen "Maria" down here .

Dpeanut
Male/Female: Female

Post by Dpeanut » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:35 am

Hi my father is 70 and has lived here over 21 years now. He has never driven a car and has always cycled ever where in life ,other than transport sometimes. He got us all including mum out and about on our bikes for days out along the river lea etc in London. We loved the quality days out. I have not driven a car also and now at the age of 70 and having myself moved up here my dad takes us for bike rides . Us meaning myself and now my 22 and 26 yr old . It's hard finding safe routes but we normally do summer Leyton and back in a circle or Galeston on sea and back or just to Kessingland car boot on Sundays . I have a bad memory and don't know if I'd remember the way sometimes without him but practice makes perfect I suppose lol . I'm ok with the Kessingland one as its quiet straight forward really . Anyone have some nice bike rides I could surprise him with Safer the better. About 10_15 miles each way is fine :bike:
Yesterday was the past , tomorrow is the future, today is the present ....look after your gift :D

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:07 pm

jonboy wrote:Kerch....i lived in France for some 20 years ( Poitou Charentes ) and one reason i cycled the Canal du Midi was to visit some friends who live in the village of Homps , by the canal . In fact Guy and Maria had bought a dutch barge in Holland , had 8 metres cut out of the length of the hull so it would fit the locks around Paris , then they sailed it to Homps and the last time i saw him he was converting it into a live aboard at the canal side . It was the biggest barge around there ( i think he named it the "maria " ) but as this was some 7 years ago maybe he has finished it and moved on .
What made you leave France and come back to blighty Jonboy? The current Mrs H and I have pondered the idea of retiring to France but don't know if we would take that big step or not.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:17 pm

frankiesays wrote:The current Mrs H and I have pondered the idea of retiring to France but don't know if we would take that big step or not.
When we're out of the EU Frankiesays it might become more difficult depending on what agreements are reached on movements of citizens. You'd better be quick.:D
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget