The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 13th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 21st March 2024 at 5:07pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Cycling

Here you can discuss and exchange ideas on any hobbies and interests you have with other members.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Re: Cycling

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:17 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

frankiesays wrote:The current Mrs H and I have pondered the idea of retiring to France but don't know if we would take that big step or not.
When we're out of the EU Frankiesays it might become more difficult depending on what agreements are reached on movements of citizens. You'd better be quick.:D
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:19 pm

We wouldn't be able to retire for a long while anyway. I'm just coming up to 64 but have 4 children still at home 16, 17, 17 and 24 and with the average "child" living with parents until they are 35 we may have to give up the idea and I'll also have to work until I drop to support them all :-)
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:30 pm

Oh well, it was your choice to have so many children shall we say 'later in life'. Maybe they will eventually be looking after you if they decide to remain at home until that age......... You should be so lucky! :lol:

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

jonboy
Bronze member
Bronze member
Male/Female: male

Post by jonboy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:10 am

Hello Frankisays...You asked why we eventually left France .
A hard question to answer as there was no one reason , but several .
Our large garden got harder and harder to maintain.....forever having to repair the roof of our house ( a new roof was quoted at 12000 euros )....chopping and stacking wood for the really cold winters ( occasionally down to - 16 degs ) was becoming a chore .....when i retired my French pension was pitifully small , there is government help but it is not a benefit like the u k system ( it is known as the Fond de Solidarite ) , it is in fact a monthly loan that is recuperated from your estate upon your death and could leave the spouse in a vunerable position .
So, i suppose in reality we moved back to be more comfortable , closer to a bus route , shops ,doctors , library , cinema etc in our old age .
If you are already retired in the U K then that would be a different proposition as i assume you would have a full pension and your healthcare would be covered by the U K ( until Brexit is actioned ) with an S1 form from Newcastle as you have never worked in France .
We do not claim any benefits in the U K , but if one day we have to then at least it will not be a debt .

We loved our time in France and we do miss our friends but life is so much easier here for us ..central heating ...bus pass....small garden....less severe winters .

If you like the idea of retiring to France my advice would be to rent somewhere for 3 months in the winter first ( i know an estate agent who could possibly help with your search ) or have a look on the French webite ....Leboncoin ...under the heading " location meuble' "

As they ( whoever they are ) say , you only regret the things you did not do , so give it a go , even if it is just for a few months

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by kerch » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:23 am

I would n't return to live in England ,I live in the centre of a village and close to a large town. I have every thing I need .It's not a good idea to buy a house in the middle of nowhere and retire, people forget or don't think about how difficult old age can become .

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:23 pm

boatbuilder wrote:Oh well, it was your choice to have so many children shall we say 'later in life'. Maybe they will eventually be looking after you if they decide to remain at home until that age......... You should be so lucky! :lol:
I think you might be on to something there BB, I might carefully introduce the subject of elderly incontinent parental care and perhaps they'll all depart sooner ;-)
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:29 pm

I never thought of it that way frankiesays. :D

jonboy
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by jonboy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:07 am

Just to get the thread back on track .....My wife has just bought a secondhand ( bought by the original purchaser on the internet then returned as unsuitable , so is virtually new ) Viking electric bike . It is an Ego fold up shopper type bike , absolutely great . It has 3 levels of assistance and on the lowest level will assist for about 20/25 miles . We paid £345 inc delivery on E bay from a bike shop in Southport , Lancashire who seem to be able to source this type of shop return .
To anyone thinking of buying one of these bikes .....well worth it .

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:08 pm

jonboy wrote:To anyone thinking of buying one of these bikes .....well worth it .
I think there is a good chance that my next bike will be an electric cycle jonboy as I am now finding cycling up hill or into the face of a strong wind slightly harder than I used to do; but I will stick to my pedal powered cycle for a little bit longer...well, hopefully quite a big bit longer :lol:
My Flickr pictures look here

jonboy
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by jonboy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:51 am

Hi Mel.....one thing i forgot to say is that the battery assistance is there when it is needed ,it need not be on full time . There is a small control panel with 3 levels of help ..25%...50%...100% and a power on/off button . When cycling my wife uses the power only when going up hill / into a head wind or when load with shopping ...or when trying to catch me up to shout at me . :argument:

AyB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by AyB » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:27 pm

Dpeanut wrote:. I'm ok with the Kessingland one as its quiet straight forward really . Anyone have some nice bike rides I could surprise him with Safer the better. About 10_15 miles each way is fine :bike:
From Kessingland there are many quiet back roads. I usually do a 25mile round trip from here but from what you are saying I am guessing that you do not live in Kessingland.

Dpeanut
Male/Female: Female

Post by Dpeanut » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:27 am

I live in the South part of Lowestoft , Kirkley . I was wondering if there was a safe cycle route to Beccles at all. I don't really want to go via the bus route as it looks very dangerous. Any cycle maps out there for that one?
Yesterday was the past , tomorrow is the future, today is the present ....look after your gift :D

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by morty1753 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:31 pm

If you do a google search for "cycle route kirkley to beccles" there is a route comes up via mutford wood lane.

I guess you could do the same thing for any route
I before E except after C - That's weird

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:46 pm

morty1753 wrote:... there is a route comes up via mutford wood lane.
That is the way I cycle to Beccles from Kirkley Morty1753. Carlton Road, Long Rd, cycle track that runs along Castleton Ave then cross at the pelican crossing, straight on to St. Peters Church and turn left straight on to Mutford Wood Lane, keep going until you get to the end, turn right, straight on past Ellough Air Strip keep going until you reach Beccles then onto the Waveney House Hotel for lunch...if someone else is paying :)

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:00 pm

I hope that wasn't you on the bike that whizzed past me this afternoon and nearly knocked me down when I was walking along Mutfordwood Lane, Mel? :bike:

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:08 pm

boatbuilder wrote:I hope that wasn't you on the bike that whizzed past me this afternoon and nearly knocked me down
If it was whizzing along it definitely wasn't me Boatbuilder :D