The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Cycling

Here you can discuss and exchange ideas on any hobbies and interests you have with other members.
Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: Cycling

Post by Mel » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:08 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

boatbuilder wrote:I hope that wasn't you on the bike that whizzed past me this afternoon and nearly knocked me down
If it was whizzing along it definitely wasn't me Boatbuilder :D
My Flickr pictures look here

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:19 pm

'Twas only a joke, Mel as you posted about the route and I was along there as stated. :lol:
That's where I saw them there 'free-ranges'. Image
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

jonboy
Bronze member
Bronze member
Male/Female: male

Post by jonboy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:48 pm

OOOhhhh.....i was supposed to fly out to Salamanca in Spain and continue my aborted ride from Seville to Santiago in a couple of weeks time .
This morning ,after waiting 5 days for an E mail reply i was informed that the bike hire company have no bikes available until mid June . Fortunately i have not yet booked my flight/train ticket to Stansted/overnight hotel in Santiago nor the coach from Santiago to Salamanca .
I am now looking at the possibility of taking my own bike but it would need a younger and fitter person to transport the bike and my baggage between home and my destination in Spain , so, at the moment all i can do is rant and rave on this forum . mad1 mad1 mad1 : :Exploding:

Ahh that feels better , for the moment at least .

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:48 pm

June in Seville should be good. When I went there in June one year it was about 42 degrees Celsius. :D

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

jonboy
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by jonboy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:49 pm

Yes i was there in Oct last year and it was 32 deg ....nice for sitting in a bar or in a park...not quite as nice riding my fully loaded bike , still i managed 565 klms to Salamanca , which is why i wanted to continue the ride before June / july . :bike: :bike:

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:57 am

I keep toying with the idea of an assisted bike like you Mel I m not finding it as easy as I used to
My question Jonboy are they heavy, someone told me they were ?
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

jonboy
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by jonboy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:16 am

Hello Funkychick.......Yes , electric bikes are a bit heavier, than their non powered counterparts mainly because of the battery and motor of course .
The cheaper new, and older secondhand bikes use lead acid batteries ( the same as used in cars ) and they are the heaviest of the lot ,the more expensive bikes use Lithium-ion batteries which are much smaller and lighter .
My wife has a fold up electric bike ,(a viking E-go) which i have only ridden a few hundred metres , but i was impressed , and my wife loves it for trips into town / shopping etc .
We bought it for about £345 second hand .
You are quite welcome to come and have a trial ride on it just to see the difference that electrical help gives and to see if the weight is o k for you.
Just send me a private message ( at the top of the page ) and i will reply with our contact details . B T W we live in Oulton Broad area .

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:03 am

jonboy wrote:Yes i was there in Oct last year and it was 32 deg ....nice for sitting in a bar or in a park...not quite as nice riding my fully loaded bike , still i managed 565 klms to Salamanca , which is why i wanted to continue the ride before June / july . :bike: :bike:
I have been watching this series on Channel 5 on Friday nights and noticed that Salamanca is featured in the program this Friday 28th so might be of interest to you, jonboy.
Spain.JPG

jonboy
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by jonboy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:56 am

Boatbuilder thanks for that , i will be watching it .
Late last year i had 15hrs (9am until 2am the following morning ) to wait for a coach at Salamanca bus station so i managed to wander round a bit of this lovely city . Beautiful buildings and churches , lots of student life , bars, clean streets .
Not the best photos in the world , but for a cheap mobile phone not too bad :roll:
Attachments
garden set 052.jpg
conservatory furniture 2 048.jpg
054.jpg

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:19 am

Your middle picture there made me do a second 'take' on it, jonboy. It reminded me of the cathedral in the old Maltese capital city of Mdina.
Mdina Cathedral
Mdina Cathedral

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:05 pm

I used to take that route when I worked in Beccles but used to turn off on to the Ellough village road and then up Cucumber Lane. Used to go back down Cucumber Lane for lunch in a field somewhere if it was nice.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:49 pm

Was that Beccles via Malta, frankiesays? :think: :lol: (guess you were responding to an old post :D )

jonboy
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by jonboy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:01 pm

Well after my little rant the other day i have found another bike hire company in Spain ( 265 euros for 12 days hire for 1 bike )....jeez i could have hired a car for that ....anyway i have paid for the hire , paid for my flights , paid for the bus between Santiago and Salamanca and am about to pay for a hotel in Salamanca for the night .......just the train from Lowestoft to Stansted to pay now ! :high5:

Amazing how quick the money goes when it is spent electronically is it not ?. :think:

jonboy
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by jonboy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:50 pm

Well , i have just returned home after finishing my 500 Klm ride in Spain . This ride was along the "Camino del Plata " to Santiago de Compostella , not an easy ride as most was on tracks , over rocks and even the bed of a stream , but a great but hard ride . Here are a few photos of this "Camino" .

Whilst i was there i promised myself this would be my last long distance ride :oops: , but since i have been home for a week i now find myself looking for somewhere to ride in September/ October ........thinking of Lisbon to Santiago along another "Camino " .. :think: . my brain still does not know how old my legs are . :argument:
Attachments
santiago 115.jpg
santiago 114.jpg
santiago 047.jpg

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:20 pm

Congratulations jonboy. Some lovely scenery there that brings back memories of my visits to Spain which seem ages ago now. Last time was in 2001.

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by kerch » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:53 pm

Think there's a lot of us with the same problem,only remember the next day when it's hard work getting out of bed. :)