The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Cycling

Here you can discuss and exchange ideas on any hobbies and interests you have with other members.
jonboy
Bronze member
Bronze member
Male/Female: male

Re: Cycling

Post by jonboy » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:15 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

dancer1 dancer1 No, i just put him/her in the shade of a nearby tree as it was quite a warm day .I must say it was worth it ,as the old saying goes . :D I just felt privileged to have been able to hold him/her for a minute or so .
This is how i first spotted this youngster.
Attachments
001.jpg

AyB
Silver Member
Silver Member
Male/Female: Male

Post by AyB » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:50 pm

A little ride out today through Halesworth, Walberswick, Southwold and home.
WP_20170814_12_38_00_Pro.jpg
Didn't use the ferry. Went via the footbridge. Ended up traveling 47 miles.

jonboy
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by jonboy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:55 am

Please...please..do not be tempted by this bike website ....at this price for an electric bike is cannot be true can it ?

See here ......http://eurpop.com/index.php?main_page=p ... ucts_id=98 :think:

Nor this from the same company......

http://eurpop.com/index.php?main_page=p ... cts_id=105

Ahhh could this be the reason ?

Having just read through some facts about these bikes it appears that as the top speed is more than 15.5 mph on electrical assistance and the motor is more powerfull than 250watts then these machines are classed as a motor vehicle . As a motor vehicle they will need to be registered ( good luck with that ) , insured , taxed and i supposed have an M O T . These are not just an electric bike ,but an electric motor vehicle so please do not be tempted .

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:45 am

Definitely VERY iffy, jonboy.

Here is the Whois data for the website which shows it was only registered as a domain on 1st August 2017 with no address or real contact details being displayed. These should be displayed if the site is operating such a business.
It's also worth noting that the registrant listed at the bottom looks like a domain name with the suffix .xu but in fact there is no dot there and if there was, the domain suffix would be invalid anyway.

There doesn't appear to be any valid contact details on their website (address, etc.). There is a website address in the FAQ's about insurance which is also invalid. There is also an 0844 phone number which may or may not be genuine (see second image).

The servers at cloudfare.com are based in California but of course that means nothing as this site's servers are in the US.

All in all, it looks a bit like a clone of this seemingly genuine website: http://www.directbikes.co.uk/motorbike-contact.html which has been around since 2008 according to their Whois data which I haven't shown here.
From Whois Database
From Whois Database
From FAQ's
From FAQ's
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

jonboy
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by jonboy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:16 pm

Ahh thanks Boatbuilder for the in depth info about this website .

There is a genuine seller of this type of bike , but just look at the price difference .

See here......store.ruff-cycles.com/the-ruffian-bosch-ebike.html

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:27 pm

Jonboy, I have sent an email to the 'directbikes' company I mentioned above drawing it to their attention. I don't know what response I'll get, if any.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

jonboy
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by jonboy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:45 pm

Great...i was about to do that .
Thanks , my wife says i can now spend that time washing the dishes , one again thanks for that :argument:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:06 pm

I'll forward you a copy of the email I sent to them, jonboy.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:40 pm

I was wondering if jonboy is going to challenge Mark Beaumont's record? :D
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-41308524

jonboy
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by jonboy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:59 am

Oh no Boatbuilder , thats not for me . My bike cost 125 euros (new) about 12 years ago so i don't want to ruin it :) .

I am planning Malaga to Merida ,or maybe Santiago de Compostella in March or April next year , but at my age i don t think i should be planning anything more strenuous than that . :bandage:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:41 am

jonboy wrote:Oh no Boatbuilder , thats not for me . My bike cost 125 euros (new) about 12 years ago so i don't want to ruin it :)
What a shame jonboy, I was going to sponsor you for a penny a mile. :D

jonboy
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by jonboy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:55 pm

Whilst walking down London Rd North this morning i noticed the Police were stopping cyclists and telling them to push their bikes . I did not know that it was illegal to ride a bike in this area ........i know it is not allowed to use a vehicle on L R North after 10am , although at the time i was there ( 11am ) 3 vans drove up the road , a coach was reversing near Starbucks cafe and nothing was said to any of the drivers . There is a road sign near Sports Direct stating "No Vehicles " , so , is a bike classed as a vehicle and if so ,is a mobility scooter classed as a vehicle also ? A sign that makes it clear that cycling is not allowed would help clarify the situation .
Any views on this subject ? :think:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:20 pm

Jonboy, from what I can make out from the images below, it would seem the council need to get their signs sorted out. However, these are taken from 2016 Google images so may possibly be out of date and the signs could possibly be different now.

However, from these images the restriction on LRN from Sports Direct southwards indicates 'No Vehicles' (top image) which in my view includes cycles (being ridden). However, as mobility scooters are classed as being useable on footpaths they would be allowed, providing the ones that are allowed on roads are only driven at the 4-mph max that is allowed on footpaths, although I am sure that many of the road ones drive down there in excess of that speed. Should cycles be allowed? in my opinion - No! Mainly because so many ride at speeds well in excess of even the mobility road scooters 8-mph and they weave in and out around the pedestrians at those ridiculous speeds which can only be classed as dangerous.

Having said that, the second and third/fouth pictures below paint a different picture when approaching from Beach Road towards LRN from the Battery Green Road end. The sign in the second picture indicates that cycles are allowed. However, when you get to the junction of LRN (third/fourth images) there is a predicament. Looking north (third picture) there is no sign at all so a cyclist would be in his/her right to ride up there northwards. But looking south (fourth picture) the sign says 'No Vehicles'

Consequently, the second and third pictures contradict the first picture outside Sports Direct for the same stretch of pedestrianised area..

However, as I said at the start these images are from 2016 so they may be different now. I will try and remember to look next time I am there unless someone else does and posts about them here.

edit: just noticed (not visible on the third picture) that there is a 'No Vehicles' sign going north but it is outside the third shop up LRN on the left. Surely that should be at the junction, not so far up the road? Maybe the council couldn't afford to have a post placed there. :D
No Vehicles Sports Directr..JPG
Except Cycles Beach Road.JPG
Nat West North and South.jpg

jonboy
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by jonboy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:10 pm

Boatbuilder......i agree that some cyclists do indeed ride at a dangerous speed along this road . I would also prefer that cycling is not allowed , but we do need some non ambiguous signs stating clearly that cycling is not allowed .
Directly outside Beales heading North is another unduly complicated sign . The sign states no entry" except for permit holders" then underneath "except for loading by " ( then a picture of a lorry ) " and cycles 4pm to midnight -midnight to 10 am .....is it not simpler if they just stated 4pm to 10 am ? What am i missing ? :think:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:23 pm

Yes, I certainly agree with you on that last comment jonboy - or, in more simple terms, state 'No loading or cycling between 10-am and 4-pm'. You have to read the signs twice to make sure you are reading them correctly, as they stand with there being two time periods mentioned.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:16 pm

jonboy wrote:Whilst walking down London Rd North this morning i noticed the Police were stopping cyclists and telling them to push their bikes .
I cycle a lot and if I am in town early morning or late evening I will cycle through the town when there is hardly any pedestrians about. If I am in town and the shops and street is busy I walk my bike. Common sense, politeness and thinking of others is all that is needed.
My Flickr pictures look here