The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Digital Art

Here you can discuss and exchange ideas on any hobbies and interests you have with other members.
Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Male/Female: Male

Digital Art

Post by Dave » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:00 pm

scarlett_johansson.jpg
Dark Art SJ Merged.jpg
Vi 90th Birthday.jpg
For those like me who would love to be able to paint or draw but have trouble creating a matchstick man perhaps this topic could offer an alternative. I have a photographic program called PaintShop Pro that I've used for years, upgrading it when needed. Over the years I've produced some images I'm pleased with and many more that went in the Recycle Bin, here are a few that might encourage someone to have a go. The first one is Scarlett Johansson, with the original photo, after I followed a Dark Art tutorial I found on the Internet. The next one is a 90th birthday greeting I made for my aunt that I put on her Facebook page.
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Digital Art

Post by Dave » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:13 pm

Fractal 2.jpg
Guitar Men.jpg
The Day the Music Died. Merged.jpg
Here are three more that show the different types of images you can create. The first one was made from scratch using the art tools that are available, not using photos and altering them. The next one contains three images I found on the Internet which I combined with the appropriate text and merged them all into one picture. The last one, of the air crash that inspired Don McLean to write 'American Pie', was done in the same way.
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:24 am

Frame copy.jpg
rod-stewart TYPO copy.jpg
G1.JPG
G1.JPG (131.07 KiB) Viewed 1884 times
Another two examples of what you can create using PaintShop Pro, plus a Photoshop example. The first one is my wife's grandson, Fletcher, trying to escape. The second one is the Photoshop example using Rod the Mod as a model. The last one is an attempt at a Mandala that I'm pleased with, there were quite a few that I wasn't. The link below is one I posted in the Dark Room and enables you to get a free, if old, version of Photoshop. It's perfectly legal and I haven't had any problems with virus's.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1449#p54860

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:45 pm

All very good Dave.

I bought Photoshop Elements 8 and the manual for it at the same time about 7 years ago. I must admit that these dayst I don't use it very much. I have numerous other programs such as Paint.net (not to be confused with the Paint program that is included in Windows) and Irfanview, which at the moment do the things I want for me.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

SheilaO
Bronze member
Bronze member
Male/Female: Female

Post by SheilaO » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:11 pm

These are great, just because a conventional paintbrush has not been used does not mean they are any less artistic, here are a couple of digital pics done by a friend
Attachments
150094_455980846011_7473931_n.jpg
Digital artr.jpg
Digital artr.jpg (26.72 KiB) Viewed 1872 times
Our task must be to free ourselves by widening of our compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty.
Albert Einstein

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:44 pm

Thank you, SheilaO, your friend's pictures are very good. I imagine painting using a mouse or drawing tablet takes some getting used to. Do you know what program your friend uses?

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:30 am

Graveyard
St Peter's Graveyard.jpg

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:04 pm

boatbuilder wrote:Graveyard
It looks like a pencil sketch, boatbuilder, do you have other painting types on your program, oil, watercolour etc?

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:14 pm

That is the first one I have done with that application Dave and I'm not sure if I could get to that result again. :lol: I don't do a lot of manipulating of images as don't seem to find the time. I mainly use the application for other things like resizing/cropping/adding text etc.

The application is Irfanview and it is a free download from this link:
http://www.irfanview.com/

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:06 pm

boatbuilder wrote:I'm not sure if I could get to that result again.
Join the club, boatbuilder, I have to look at the tutorial again if I want to repeat a 'style' I've used before. Mel has said the same thing, that makes three of us with bad memories. :think: By the way, how did you get that result? :lol: :lol: :lol:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:24 pm

Dave wrote:
boatbuilder wrote:I'm not sure if I could get to that result again.
........... By the way, how did you get that result? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, errrrr......!!!! :think:

Of course if you can't get to the same result again it makes the original a 'one-off' and maybe more valuable. Imagine a thousand Mona Lisa's :D

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:46 pm

boatbuilder wrote:Of course if you can't get to the same result again it makes the original a 'one-off' and maybe more valuable. Imagine a thousand Mona Lisa's :D
You may be right, boatbuilder, as a great man once said, 'This time next year we could be millionaires'. :D

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:57 pm

Dave wrote:
boatbuilder wrote:Of course if you can't get to the same result again it makes the original a 'one-off' and maybe more valuable. Imagine a thousand Mona Lisa's :D
You may be right, boatbuilder, as a great man once said, 'This time next year we could be millionaires'. :D
Ah, so you remembered my quote, Dave. :lol:

SheilaO
Bronze member
Bronze member
Male/Female: Female

Post by SheilaO » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:01 pm

Dave wrote:Thank you, SheilaO, your friend's pictures are very good. I imagine painting using a mouse or drawing tablet takes some getting used to. Do you know what program your friend uses?
Sorry Dave, I've been trying to get in touch with him, but he is proving illusive at the moment, will let you know when he gets back to me.
Our task must be to free ourselves by widening of our compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty.
Albert Einstein

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:46 pm

Abandoned...
acml.jpg
My Flickr pictures look here