The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

What Are You Reading ?

Here you can discuss and exchange ideas on any hobbies and interests you have with other members.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Re: What Are You Reading ?

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:27 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

boatbuilder wrote: I have just started reading 'Still Waters' a 'Sandhamn Murder' by Viveca Sten - a female Swedish author who met with Timothy West and his wife on the island of Sandhamn on their recent Great Canal Journey I wrote about in the TV topic earlier this week. I have only read the first couple of chapters yet so is early days but so far I think I am going to like it as I like the way it is written.
I finished reading this book earlier today and it was a good read. Will read the follow-up book(s) when I catch up with some of the others I already have in my library, although I think there is only one other translated into English so far.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

MEG
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by MEG » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:40 pm

I just reserved "The rainbow comes and goes).by Anderson Cooper and his mother Gloria Vanderbilt. His mother was on T.V yesterday-she is 92 and looks fabulous-must have had a lot of face lifts to look that good!

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:58 pm

The book 'Brave', written by Adele Bellis who was the victim of the acid attack in Lowestoft in 2014 was released last week.
I purchased the Kindle edition last night (£3.99) and look forward to reading this when I have finished my current book.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:00 pm

Daughters of darkness
4 Books on four daughters each daughter written by a different author.
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:57 am

At the moment I am reading Saturday Requiem by Nicci French a pseudonym for husband and wife writing team Nicci Gerrard and Sean French. It is the sixth novel featuring Frieda Klein a psychotherapist. Klein often helps and sometimes hinders the police in solving crimes.

Having read them all in sequence starting from Blue Monday I have because of the good writing and super storylines found the characters who return in each novel very believable and look forward to finding out how their lives pan out.

As a fan of crime fiction this series is certainly up there with the best I have read.
My Flickr pictures look here

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:10 pm

This does not really comply with the topic's name but thought it would be best posted here as it is about a book.

I have just been looking at this video story on the BBC news website about some 200 year old tunnels below Liverpool known as the Williamson Tunnels and I immediately recalled a children's adventure book I read, probably in the late 1950's or early 60's, which I borrowed from our local library in Liverpool at the time, and which included these tunnels in a major part of the storyline. I am now puzzling over what the book was called and who the author was but so far to no avail. I have tried searching online by using key words but so far without success. Just to satisfy my own curiosity (please don't mention anything about cats :D ) I am determined to try and find out what it was and just hope it's not one of those 'things' that keeps you awake at night when you can't get it out of your mind.

Digging into Liverpool's secret tunnels

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:41 am

I'm thirty pages into Wilbur Smith's new book, 'Golden Lion', and already there are several colourful characters and quite a bit of blood and thunder with the promise of more to come. It's another book in the Courtney family series which I think are his best books. It's been co-written with Giles Kristian which follows the latest fashion of two authors working together. I think Wilbur Smith's age, eighty-three, may have something to do with it, not the need to churn out as many books as possible. James Patterson, the biggest selling author of all time I believe, has many co-authors and has a new book on the shelves every five minutes.
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:36 pm

I have always been intrigued by air travel since the first time I flew nearly 55 years ago from Liverpool to the Isle of Man on a Vickers Viscount operated by BEA. In recent years I have become interested in the investigation work that is carried out by the various accident investigation boards such as the United States NTSB, the UK's AAIB and the many others throughout the world. These people do some tremendous work to discover what has caused air accidents and many of them are explained in great detail in the 'Air Crash Investigation' programs that are aired on the National Geographic TV channel which is now into its 17th series. These programs not only highlight the work done by the investigators but also by some of the airline pilots that, against all odds, have somehow managed to fly and land some of the largest aircraft ever built that have been crippled by devastating incidents at 35,000 feet.

I bought one book about such incidents and investigations about 20 years ago and have now acquired a new (2014) publication which I have just started reading entitled 'The Mammoth Book of Air Disasters and Near Misses' - by Paul Simpson and starts off with what was probably the first air accident that involved an airplane in 1912. With everything else I do, I think this book is going to keep me occupied for some weeks to come as it has in excess of 500 pages of fairly small text and looks extremely interesting.

On that note, I'd better get back to my reading. Image

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by kerch » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:09 am

I have just finished Their Lost Daughters by Joy Ellis ,police story set in the area around the Wash marshes.
She has written several books along the same lines .This one features a slightly differnet area from the Murder on the fens series which I also enjoyed .

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:01 pm

My wife has that one on her Kindle at the moment kerch. I see there are quite a few by Joy Ellis on Kindle Unlimited which she subscribes to.

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerch » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:34 pm

I hope she enjoys it .

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerch » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:54 am

I have been reading the Shardlake books by C.J Samsom the latest is called Tombland and yes it's set in Norwich .Haven't got it yet it's on Pre order.