The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

What Are You Reading ?

Here you can discuss and exchange ideas on any hobbies and interests you have with other members.
nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: What Are You Reading ?

Post by nikkai » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:31 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

I venture to the escapism and read fiction my latest is the WitchBlood series by Emma Mills,
or the books by Tim O'Rourke, (Bella Forrest though these have become a little *lost in the idea*)
I have Ann Rice books Oh and I could not stop laughing when I started one from Kate Kent.
Tom Sharpe (so many times I read his work)
Kimberly Loth,
Lisa Black
Lisa Childs
Charlene Hartnany (a bit far fetched from the imagination)
Alice Bello
these are some of the ones which are on my tablet and help with the long days and nights while I hide from the wife :lol:
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:45 pm

Mel wrote:
boatbuilder wrote:I have just finished reading the first three books in a series by a fairly new author - Angela Marsons and really enjoyed them.
I have read 'Silent Scream' Boatbuilder and enjoyed it; it reminded me of a series of books I read by M.J. Arlidge where the protagonist is a Detective Inspector Helen Grace. The first book in that series is called 'Eeny Meeny'.

At the moment I am reading the Shetland series by Ann Cleeves, I am up to number five 'Dead Water'...think I will make that the last one of those for the time being; need a change of scenery and genre I think!!
I'll have a look at the M J Arlidge ones eventually Mel, but I have just started reading 'Still Waters' a 'Sandhamn Murder' by Viveca Sten - a female Swedish author who met with Timothy West and his wife on the island of Sandhamn on their recent Great Canal Journey I wrote about in the TV topic earlier this week. I have only read the first couple of chapters yet so is early days but so far I think I am going to like it as I like the way it is written.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:58 pm

boatbuilder wrote:
I have just finished reading the first three books in a series by a fairly new author - Angela Marsons and really enjoyed them......
After I had posted the above I was looking at Angela Marson's website and sent her a brief message through the 'contact' link on there telling her how I enjoyed the books and that I'd mentioned them on here.

This afternoon I was pleased to receive a very nice reply from her thanking me.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Post by Suffolkboy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:08 pm

Just finished this book - The Visitor By Lee Child A very intriguing murder mystery. This is my first book I have read by this author.
I also like books written by these authors, Peter James,Jo Nesbo and James Patterson of which I have read several,all enjoyable reads.
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

MEG
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by MEG » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:23 pm

I loved reading the Norah Loft books.She lived in Bury St. Edmunds.I wrote her from over here and received a very nice handwritten letter from her.It was written on Jan 10th 1978!I also have a letter from Buckingham Palace written by a lady in waiting when I wrote to find out how old you had to be to get birthday greetings from the Queen(When my mum was 90 years old).You have to be 100!!!

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:28 pm

There are so many good authors about SB, it's sometimes hard to decide what to read next. My wife has read some of the Lee Child and James Patterson books. The following are two good ones as well. Henning Mankell wrote the 'Wallander' books but this one is not one of them. The Val McDermid book was dramatised on ITV some time ago and I also have the DVD of it.
Attachments
ROTDM.JPG
ROTDM.JPG (41.08 KiB) Viewed 1256 times

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by kerch » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:30 pm

James Oswald's series Inspector Mclean you might like Suffolkboy,the first one is Natural causes .Six books in all so far.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:46 pm

MEG wrote:I loved reading the Norah Loft books.She lived in Bury St. Edmunds.I wrote her from over here and received a very nice handwritten letter from her.It was written on Jan 10th 1978!I also have a letter from Buckingham Palace written by a lady in waiting when I wrote to find out how old you had to be to get birthday greetings from the Queen(When my mum was 90 years old).You have to be 100!!!

Meg, there are many of her books available here on Amazon UK and quite a number are available to read free with Kindle Unlimited which is a subscription that costs £7.99 a month here and which is something my wife subscribes to as she tends to read a lot more than me. I found I didn't get my money's worth so I suspended mine. The Norah Loft books in question are quite expensive to buy for the Kindle though at around £6 to £7 each.

Kerch, those you have mentioned look interesting and my sort of book. Will have to add them to my 'wish list' for when I can get round to them. I already have quite a few of both e-books and 'hard copy' ones to catch up on.

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerch » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:59 am

I have 1 e-book I'm reading and 1 in reserve to avoid a back log,my Kindle is only a basic one and only stores books .Do the more expensive do more ? would be nice to store books by author etc.

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Post by Suffolkboy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:35 am

boatbuilder wrote:There are so many good authors about SB, it's sometimes hard to decide what to read next. My wife has read some of the Lee Child and James Patterson books. The following are two good ones as well. Henning Mankell wrote the 'Wallander' books but this one is not one of them. The Val McDermid book was dramatised on ITV some time ago and I also have the DVD of it.
Thanks BB,I will give those books a read sometime.
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:36 am

kerch wrote:...my Kindle is only a basic one and only stores books; would be nice to store books by author etc.
My Kindle is only a basic one Kerch (although it is 'wireless') but it has the facility to store books by author or genre or whatever and is sourced from the Menu. In my menu the facility is called 'Collections'. In my Menu panel there is a Create New Collection tab which you just press and start collecting. I must admit I did start storing my books by author but I haven't for a while...why am I so lazy :cry:
My Flickr pictures look here

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:14 pm

kerch wrote:I have 1 e-book I'm reading and 1 in reserve to avoid a back log,my Kindle is only a basic one and only stores books .Do the more expensive do more ? would be nice to store books by author etc.
Kerch, there are other kindles available but what yours does depends on how old it is. If it's not wi-fi then I guess it's one of the early ones. I have two - the first one I got was the Kindle Fire HD which is a tablet so can do most things as there is a vast selection of apps available for it. That one is not ideal for reading outside in bright sunshine unless you fix an anti-reflective film to the screen and then it's not perfect but readable for books. The second one which is the Paperwhite can be read without any problem in bright sunlight. That is also wi-fi and does have a 'sort-of' web browser but is only a trial thing and not ideal but could be useful if you had nothing else to use and of course it is only monochrome. They both will store many books up to the memory limit of the device but even if only 8GB then that would be hundreds of books and as Mel says you can store or view them by author, title or most recent. The two pictures below show how they are displayed on each device.
Attachments
Kindle Fire HD showing by 'Author' as stored on the 'Cloud'. This page scrolls
Kindle Fire HD showing by 'Author' as stored on the 'Cloud'. This page scrolls
Kindle Paperwhite showing by 'Most Recent' as stored on the Cloud (ALL) . Page 31 of 41 - pages 'turn'
Kindle Paperwhite showing by 'Most Recent' as stored on the Cloud (ALL) . Page 31 of 41 - pages 'turn'

MEG
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by MEG » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:56 pm

Thanks John.I have most of the Norah Loft books.I prefer a book instead of a Kindle whereas my daughter loves her Kindle.I think I have most of Norah Lofts books and the ones I haven't I have probably read/Might be a good time to re-read them as she was one of my favorite authors.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:22 pm

I used to be the same before I bought a Kindle, Meg. To have all the books you own stored on something smaller than a postage stamp (the microchip, not the Kindle :D) at one time seemed unthinkable - it was nice to hold the actual 'hard copy' and think "that's mine". Image

However, after a few reads using the Kindle with some free downloads I decided it wasn't so bad after all, and if buying them, despite the fact that they are subject to VAT in the UK whereas actual books aren't, more often than not they are usually cheaper and you don't need rows of shelves on which to store them.

Having said all that, there are many books that are not cut out to be e-books - particularly non-fiction which require many drawings and photographs to supplement the text.

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerch » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:07 pm

My Kindle is the very basic one ,looked but nothing for classing books by author. But it is wi-fi.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:27 pm

boatbuilder wrote: I have just started reading 'Still Waters' a 'Sandhamn Murder' by Viveca Sten - a female Swedish author who met with Timothy West and his wife on the island of Sandhamn on their recent Great Canal Journey I wrote about in the TV topic earlier this week. I have only read the first couple of chapters yet so is early days but so far I think I am going to like it as I like the way it is written.
I finished reading this book earlier today and it was a good read. Will read the follow-up book(s) when I catch up with some of the others I already have in my library, although I think there is only one other translated into English so far.