The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

What Are You Reading ?

Here you can discuss and exchange ideas on any hobbies and interests you have with other members.
Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

What Are You Reading ?

Post by Mel » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:11 pm

Had a little look around the site for book reviews, I am sure there was one but I couldn't find it so I have started this one, maybe one of the moderators could move this if there is another book review topic.

I seem to be going through a crime fiction phase at the moment. In the last few months I have read 'The House of Silk' by Anthony Horowitz a Sherlock Holmes mystery, the author certainly does a good job of recreating Holmes in the Arthur Conan Doyle style.

Then I read the two Robert Galbraith crime novels 'The Cuckoo's Calling' and 'The Silkworm' which introduces a new private detective Cormoran Strike a one legged war veteran. Robert Galbraith is a pseudonym for J.K. Rowling the Harry Potter lady. I have never read any of the Harry Potter's but I did find her detective books very good reads although I don't expect they will be such big sellers!

I am now reading 'The Monogram Murders' a new Hercule Poirot mystery, not by Agatha herself (unsurprisingly) but by Sophie Hannah who wrote it with the full blessing of the guardians of Agatha Christie's legacy. And after a few chapters in my 'little grey cells' are working overtime, Hannah has certainly done a good job.
My Flickr pictures look here

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: What Are You Reading ?

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:30 pm

I don't believe there is another topic on this subject on this site Mel.

I've just finished reading the final 'Wallander' book by Henning Mankell to be translated into English - 'An Event in Autumn' - which was released in September. I have now read the complete collection of Wallander books on which the BBC TV series was based. Strangely enough, the first one I read was the very last story to be written in 2009. For some strange reason the books weren't translated from their native Swedish in the order that they were originally published with this latest one originally written in 2004. I've enjoyed reading them all.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:12 pm

I m three quarters of the way through Khalid Hossieni latest book 'And the Mountain Echoed' really enjoying it as I have all his books a great story writer
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:47 pm

I have been reading the books by Morgan Rice, I'm on book 10 so far and each has lead on from the previous.
They are all digital downloads to my tab.
A vampire theme which seems to have me hooked.
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:12 am

I did enjoy the 'Wallander' television series, both the Swedish and the English versions although I have never read any of the books Boatbuilder, but I have read 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' series of books by Steig Larsson...there is some good stuff coming from Scandinavia.

I didn't recognise the name of Khalid Hossieni Funkychick but I have found out he is the author of the 'Kite Runner' which I have heard of but have never read...another book on my reading list maybe.

You seem to have got your teeth into the vampire books of Morgan Rice Nikkai...do you eat your steaks rare by any chance? ;) :D

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:46 am

Mel wrote: You seem to have got your teeth into the vampire books of Morgan Rice Nikkai...do you eat your steaks rare by any chance? ;) :D

Well yes ! steak has to walk onto the plate, so tender and succulent Mmmmm Yummy
Steven Covey

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerch » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:59 am

I 've just finished the first book of the Accursed kings by Maurice Druon . Game of Thrones author George Martin has said these books were the inspiration for the Game of Thrones .Enjoyed it and will be down loading the rest of the series soon.There's seven books in all but the last has n't been translated from French as yet .

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Post by Suffolkboy » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:04 pm

After many years of match fishing I made a decision to give it a miss some 16 months ago,whilst I like to do a little photography,drawing,water colour painting and gardening I thought I would begin reading again which as a youngster I thoroughly enjoyed. I am now on my twentieth book,the title being The Snowman by Jo Nesbo. Jo has been described as the next Steig Larsson. I also read the series 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' by Steig Larsson after being gifted the three books,I enjoyed them so much I suppose it gave me encouragement to begin reading again.
I enjoy books written by Peter James,Karen Slaughter,James Patterson,Peter Robinson and of course Jo Nesbo they feature detectives solving murder crimes,the details of which I wonder what make these authors dream up such atrocities. I have also been fascinated by the descriptions of what police techniques are used in solving missing persons,eg,what info can be obtained from simple telephone calls.
I have particularly enjoyed books by Peter James of which I have now read ten also five by Jo Nesbo. I am now wondering if reading books is something one takes to entering the Autumn years of ones life :roll: :D
I must add other interests which I haven't listed,The Wife,The Dog and least of all MyLowestoft and LOL.Image

Retirement? What retirement? :? :D
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerch » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:27 pm

Try Peter Mays books, some set in Scotland on the Isle of Lewis ,police Stories and others in the south of France and Paris ,just got his last book Entry Island .

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:47 pm

Thought I saw the name Peter James there for a moment (strange what I think I'm reading when I reading it) but it was Peter May
I did try to read a James book but as I have met him often and the chat gets to his last publish I sort of lost the will to actually buy one of his books.
Steven Covey

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:00 am

He also wrote A thousand Splendid Suns Mel another very good book well eorth getting your teeth into
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:51 pm

It's a long time since there has been a post in this topic so thought it needed reviving.

I have just finished reading the first three books in a series by a fairly new author - Angela Marsons and really enjoyed them. I have pre-ordered the fourth one (due out 20th May) from the Amazon Kindle store and am looking forward to that.

The first three books, which I read over about two weeks are:
Image....Image....Image

And the fourth one is:

All the stories are set in the Black Country.

There are a couple of other books by the same author but they are not from the same series. More details here:
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerch » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:11 pm

I've just finished three books by Jack Ludlow Mercenaries 1,Warriors,2 and Conquest ,3.They are historical novels set in France and sth Italy before the Crusades began.The family Hauteville existed and they seem to have got lost in history.They were Mercenaries the only way for them to earn a living.
There's a short piece on Wikipeda about them .I found the three books interesting,at the end of the third book there's a short piece by the Jack Ludlow in which he said the three book s he''d written are only half the story ,their adventures continue to the Holy Land .

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:42 pm

boatbuilder wrote:I have just finished reading the first three books in a series by a fairly new author - Angela Marsons and really enjoyed them.
I have read 'Silent Scream' Boatbuilder and enjoyed it; it reminded me of a series of books I read by M.J. Arlidge where the protagonist is a Detective Inspector Helen Grace. The first book in that series is called 'Eeny Meeny'.

At the moment I am reading the Shetland series by Ann Cleeves, I am up to number five 'Dead Water'...think I will make that the last one of those for the time being; need a change of scenery and genre I think!!

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:31 pm

I venture to the escapism and read fiction my latest is the WitchBlood series by Emma Mills,
or the books by Tim O'Rourke, (Bella Forrest though these have become a little *lost in the idea*)
I have Ann Rice books Oh and I could not stop laughing when I started one from Kate Kent.
Tom Sharpe (so many times I read his work)
Kimberly Loth,
Lisa Black
Lisa Childs
Charlene Hartnany (a bit far fetched from the imagination)
Alice Bello
these are some of the ones which are on my tablet and help with the long days and nights while I hide from the wife :lol:
Steven Covey