The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

2018 Other News Stories that might be missed

A place to post any interesting news topics
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Re: 2018 Other News Stories that might be missed

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:19 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Boris Johnson 'is descendant' of mummified Basel woman

Scientists in the Swiss city of Basel have solved a decades-old mystery over the identity of a mummified woman.
Their research revealed a new surprise: the woman is the great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandmother of UK Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson.
The body was uncovered in 1975 while renovations were being done on Basel's Barfüsser Church.
She was buried right in front of the altar, clearly well fed, and wearing good quality clothes.
This was obviously the body of a wealthy lady of Basel.
But who was she exactly, and when did she die?

Full Story

Hmmm! Spot the resemblance? :D
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:10 pm

boatbuilder wrote:Boris Johnson 'is descendant' of mummified Basel woman

Hmmm! Spot the resemblance? :D
I think you've definitely got a point, boatbuilder. :D
BJ2.JPG
BJ2.JPG (27.99 KiB) Viewed 611 times
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:21 pm

Brilliant, Dave. :lol: :lol: :lol: :discodave:

Afterthought: Don't you think the hair is a little bit too tidy? Then again maybe it was one of the rare 'good hair' days :lol:

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:59 pm

Snake expert doubts pet python killed Daniel Brandon

A leading snake enthusiast has questioned whether a pet python was responsible for killing its owner.
Daniel Brandon, 31, died from asphyxiation at his home near Basingstoke, Hampshire, in August.
A coroner ruled there was no doubt his death was "as a result of contact" with his 8ft (2.4m) pet python named Tiny.
Chairman of the Federation of British Herpetologists Chris Newman said: "I frankly don't see how the snake could have been responsible due to its size."
He said he was "very circumspect" about the ruling.
Full article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-42817364
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:58 pm

Cannabis police find caiman during search of house

A 4ft-long spectacled caiman was found during a search of a house by police working on a drugs investigation.
The reptile, Caiman crocodilus, was discovered in a bedroom at the home in Westcliff in Essex on Wednesday, along with 16 live snakes, among them cobras, copperheads and pythons.
A scorpion was also found, along with seven dead snakes.
A 36-year-old man from Basildon has been arrested on suspicion of cannabis production and animal cruelty offences.
The animals are now in the care of the RSPCA.
Det Insp Steve Nelson from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate said: "We are working together with the charity as part of the investigation into how these wild animals came to be kept in such conditions.
"As officers we come across many different finds during our investigations and these are among the more unusual."
The man has been released on police bail until 13 February.
The search and arrest were in connection with a continuing investigation into a cannabis factory found at a Basildon industrial unit in November 2015.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-42823587
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:28 am

Nutella 'riots' spread across French supermarkets

A discount on Nutella has led to violent scenes in a chain of French supermarkets, as shoppers jostled to grab a bargain on the sweet spread.
Intermarché supermarkets offered a 70% discount on Nutella, bringing the price down from €4.50 (£3.90) to €1.40.
But police were called when people began fighting and pushing one another.
"They are like animals. A woman had her hair pulled, an elderly lady took a box on her head, another had a bloody hand," one customer told French media.
A member of staff at one Intermarché shop in central France told the regional newspaper Le Progrès: "We were trying to get in between the customers but they were pushing us."
All of their stock was snapped up within 15 minutes and one customer was given a black eye, the report adds.
Similar scenes have been reported across France, with some being described as "riots"
Some 365 million kilos of Nutella is consumed every year in 160 countries around the world.
It was created by the Ferrero family in the 1940s in the Piedmont region of Italy, which is famed for its hazelnuts.
The firm said it regretted Thursday's violence, but noted that the discount had been unilaterally decided by Intermarché.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42826028

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:55 am

Sounds like everyone went ‘nuts”. :argument:

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:44 pm

Trump asks to borrow Van Gogh painting for White House from Guggenheim - they offer a used gold toilet instead.

Donald Trump reportedly asked a leading US museum to borrow a Van Gogh painting for the White House, but was instead offered a solid gold sculpture of a functioning toilet that had been inspired by his presidential bid and which was used by 100,000 visitors.

The White House apparently contacted the Guggenheim Museum in New York and asked for the loan of Van Gogh’s 1888 Landscape With Snow. The museum wrote back to say it could not loan the item but instead offered an 18 karat gold sculpture by Maurizio Cattelan of a functioning toilet.

Independent Article.
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:16 pm

Hero fiancé tackles jewellery shop thief

CCTV has been released of a have-a-go hero tackling a thief in a jewellery shop in Preston.
The husband-to-be, who was with his fiancé collecting her engagement ring, sprang into action when the burglar burst in.
Gary Shaw, 55, co-owner of DJM Goldsmiths, said Andy Fiddler, 52, was "fantastic" for tackling the thief.
"It was impressive the way he took his jacket off and just jumped in there," he added.
The thief was later jailed for 16 weeks for burglary.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england ... shop-thief - includes video

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:31 pm

Father-of-five's T-shirt ad finds kidney donor

A father-of-five has had a life-saving transplant in New York after his desperate T-shirt appeal to find a matching kidney donor was shared across social media.
Rob Leibowitz, who lives in New Jersey, had been on a waiting list for a donor for four years without success and decided to take matters into his own hands.
The advertising sales manager had a T-shirt printed with a banner on the front and back saying "In Need of Kidney" and his mobile phone number underneath.
Last week the kidney transplant was successfully carried out and now both Mr Leibowitz and his donor, Richie Sully, from Indiana, are recovering at their homes.

Full story

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:20 pm

Vila, one of world's oldest gorillas, dies in captivity at 60

Image: San Diego Safari Park/ Facebook

One of the oldest gorillas in the world has died at the age of 60.
San Diego Zoo Safari Park announced on Friday that Vila, who was born in the Congo in 1957, died surrounded by members of her family troop.
She was the "matriarch", they said, of five generations.
"There are very few gorillas anywhere near that age," said Peggy Sexton, a lead animal keeper at the safari park in California. Gorillas typically live for 35-40 years.
"She will be missed by zoo members, guests, volunteers and staff," said Randy Riches, mammals curator at the safari park.
The oldest gorilla living in the care of humans is thought to be 61-year-old Trudy at Little Rock Zoo in Arkansas.
Like Vila, she was captured from the wild. A gorilla called Colo who died last year was at the time the oldest gorilla born in captivity.

Full story

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:42 pm

Ikea founder Ingvar Kamprad dies in Sweden at 91

The Swedish founder of the Ikea furniture chain, Ingvar Kamprad, has died at the age of 91, the company has announced.
Mr Kamprad - who pioneered flat-pack furniture - died at his home in Småland, Ikea confirmed in a statement.
The company said that Mr Kamprad was "one of the greatest entrepreneurs of the 20th century".
The billionaire, who was born in 1926 in Småland, founded Ikea at the age of 17.
He used some money his father had given him as a gift for performing well at school despite his dyslexia.
Mr Kamprad "peacefully passed away at his home", Ikea's statement said.

Full story - obituary

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:04 am

Nottingham Prison pays pub worker thousands of pounds by mistake

A pub worker has been paid at least £10,000 for his "job" at Nottingham Prison - despite never working there.
The man accepted a prison officer job but did not start his training. Despite this, he has been receiving a monthly wage for more than a year.
The man believes it reflects "severe mismanagement of the system" at the prison, which has been described as being in a "dangerous state".
The Prison Service told the BBC it "apologised for the error".
The would-be prison officer, who works as a deputy manager for a pub chain, said: "What situation is Nottingham Prison in that they don't even know that somebody who is not working for them is still being paid?
"If I'm the only person it's still going to have cost them 20-odd thousand pounds a year [before tax] - but are there potentially more people?
"I would like to know how this has happened because as a taxpayer myself I don't want to know that my money has been wasted."
Full article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-no ... e-42806214

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:49 pm

World's tallest man Sultan Kosen meets world's shortest woman Jyoti Amge in Egypt

The world's tallest man has met up with the shortest woman at Egypt's pyramids in a bid to boost the country's struggling tourism industry.
Sultan Kosen, a 35-year-old from Turkey, stands 246.5cm (8ft 1in) tall and met with Jyoti Amge from India, who is just 62.8cm (2ft 06in) tall.
The pair came together in front of the historic site of Giza Pyramids in Cairo last Friday, striking poses for awe-struck tourists.
Both were invited by the Egyptian Tourism Promotion Board to visit Cairo's most famous sites.
Mr Kosen's extreme height is due to a condition known as pituitary gigantism, where the brain produces abnormally large amounts of growth hormone.
Ms Jyoti, from Nagpur, has a form of dwarfism called achondroplasia.
She is an actress who has appeared in the TV show American Horror Story and Bollywood films.
https://www.itv.com/news/2018-01-29/wor ... -in-egypt/

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:38 pm

Train passenger wakes to find £100 gift from stranger

A sleeping passenger on a train was shocked to wake up to find "£100 under a napkin" on her lap.
Ella Johannessen was discussing how "stressed and upset" she was about her finances during a phone call to her mother while travelling on Saturday.
After waking up from a nap she found the gift, which she says will stop her from going over her overdraft limit.
A Facebook post she wrote hoping to find the person who left the money has been shared more than 2,800 times.

The 23-year-old Leeds Beckett University graduate told the BBC she got into debt during her final year of study after giving up her part-time job to concentrate on her course.
She boarded a Virgin Trains East Coast service to Leeds at Peterborough station on Saturday afternoon and proceeded to call her mother.

"I spoke to her about how little money I had, how worried I was about my finances and I got upset," she wrote.
After waking up, she found the money and started to cry as she was "incredibly thankful" for the kind stranger's help.
She said: "After a terrible 18 months where I lost my father and both of his parents it showed me that there is kindness and good people in the world.
"I would like to tell the person that they are a fantastic human being and it has really lifted my spirits and massively helped me out."
Ms Johannessen, who lives in Leeds, said she would be "passing the kindness on" by volunteering for a charity.

Link to story

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:50 pm

Mother fined £600 after putting cardboard box in wrong bin

Snoopers gave a mother a £600 fine and threatened her with jail after she put a cardboard box in the wrong bin.
Alison Mapletoft, 39, who runs a business from home, was caught putting a single piece of rubbish addressed to her company into a communal recycling after a private company employed by Brighton and Hove council went through the rubbish.
The mother-of-two, who paid the fine, has now called for an end for what she describes as intimidating tactics employed by 3GS, who told her over the phone that she could be taken to court and face a £2,500 fine of a prison sentence.
It comes after a Telegraph investigation found that the number of councils employing "litter police" to issue Fixed Penalty Notices for a range of minor offences has tripled in three years.
Members of the public are 20 times more likely to be hit with a fine in one of the 39 areas which contract out the work to private enforcers, in some cases allowing them to keep 100pc of the fine as payment in a system which critics say acts as an "incentive" to hand out tickets.
3GS have been employed by the Brighton and Hove council since April 2016 and keep 60 per cent of every fine that is paid, rising to 70 per cent for fly tipping.
The council issued no fixed penalty notices in 2014 or 2015, but this rose to 2,133 in 2016 after 3GS were employed, according to figures released following a Freedom of Information request.
Full article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01 ... wrong-bin/