The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

2018 Other News Stories that might be missed

A place to post any interesting news topics
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: 2018 Other News Stories that might be missed

Post by Trigger » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:20 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Wrexham pub offers discount to diners who lock phones away

Ever been out for a meal with someone who spent more time staring at their phone than looking at you?
One Wrexham pub has started running an offer to help make this a thing of the past and encourage people to talk without any distractions.
Customers at The Fat Boar will get 25% off food bills for giving up their phones as part of its "Mobile Free Monday".
The phones will be locked in cash boxes on tables and staff hold the keys.
Rich Watkin, the Fat Boar's director, said: "Mobiles can often be a real distraction and stop us from just sitting among family and friends and simply having a good conversation and that's why I came up with the idea."
Full article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-nort ... s-43181353

Let's hope that more restaurants copy this idea! :D
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:05 am

Boy, 13, caught driving car with toddler and mum inside

A 13-year-old boy has been caught driving a car with a two-year-old and a woman inside the vehicle.
The teenager was stopped in Peterborough at 11:00 GMT by a team from the Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Road Policing Unit.
In a tweet, a spokesman for the unit said the toddler was sitting unrestrained on its mother's knee.
When officers pulled the car over, they were told by those inside that it was "only a short journey".
A spokesman for police said the woman in the car was the mother of the toddler and related to the 13-year-old.
He said officers were looking at "numerous offences" in the case.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ca ... e-43181608
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:22 pm

New mother says she 'found bandages in my body'

The NHS is investigating claims by a new mother who says she found bandages in her body seven weeks after giving birth at Wexham Park Hospital, Slough.
"I took out a large piece of decomposing material from inside me that was soaked in blood," Alexandra Loredana told BBC News.
Ms Loredana added that she had suffered from thrush and 'light vaginal wounds'.
A hospital trust spokesman told the BBC: "We are aware. We have started an investigation."

Full Story

She is lucky she never contracted 'Toxic Shock Syndrome'.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:27 pm

Egypt uncovers ancient necropolis south of Cairo

Egyptian archaeologists have discovered an ancient necropolis containing 40 stone sarcophagi, about 1,000 small statues and a necklace charm bearing the hieroglyphic inscription "happy new year".
Antiquities minister Khaled El-Enany said on Saturday the discovery near Tuna al-Gabal, south of Cairo, consisted of a large number of burial shafts dating from the late Pharaonic period to the early Ptolomaic era.
The site, which is more than 2,000 years old, is expected to take another five years to excavate.
"It's only the beginning," said Enany. "We are very soon going to add a new archaeological attraction to Middle Egypt."
Egypt's relics are a draw for foreign visitors and authorities hope new finds can help attract more as a way to help revive tourism hit by the unrest that followed the overthrow of former President Hosni Mubarak in 2011.
The number of tourists visiting the country rose 54 percent to 8.3 million last year, still below the 14.7 million who came in 2010.
Mostafa Waziri, secretary-general of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, said the scarab charm with the new year greeting had been unearthed last New Year's Eve in a "wonderful coincidence".
"This is a message sent to us from the afterlife," he said.

Report with short Video

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:34 am

Addicted to selfies: I take 200 snaps a day

Junaid Ahmed has 50,000 followers on Instagram and admits he is addicted to selfies.
The 22-year-old takes around 200 snaps of himself a day.
He carefully times when he will post a photo on social media so it gets the most likes, and if it gets less than 600 he will delete it.
"When I post a picture, in the first minute or two I'll probably get 100 likes and I love it, my phone goes crazy, it's just amazing."
A recent study suggested an obsession with selfies is a genuine condition, called Selfitis.
An urge to take selfies and upload them on social media more than six times a day is chronic selfitis, according to researchers at the University of Nottingham and the Thiagarajar School of Management in India.
And Junaid admits his selfie urges can cause friction with loved ones.
"They're like 'can't you go to a meal and not take a picture?'
"And I'm like 'no, I didn't get ready for three hours for no reason'. Why would I not take a picture?"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-43197018

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:44 am

What a vain creature :roll:

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:17 am

boatbuilder wrote:What a vain creature :roll:
Totally agree! And as for taking 3 hours to get himself ready . . . :no: My camera can take selfies - but I haven't got the courage to try - I've seen meself in the mirror! :lol:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:43 am

The selfie camera is OK if you need to take a picture for a specific purpose like a passport, driving licence or other similar reason. I usually only use it when I'm using 'Facetime' which of course is totally different.

Probably also useful to a woman person who needs to check her their make-up and hasn't got a mirror to hand. :D

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:32 am

boatbuilder wrote: Probably also useful to a woman person who needs to check her their make-up and hasn't got a mirror to hand. :D
And so we're back to that very vain person in the news article! :notme:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:20 pm

Not really, checking make-up isn't quite the same.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:03 pm

Sea freezes over at Isle of Wight harbour

Video footage shows the sea frozen over at Bembridge Harbour on the east coast of the Isle of Wight.
Temperatures on the island dipped to -6C (21F) overnight on Tuesday into Wednesday.
The Met Office has issued a number of warnings for more snow to hit the south of England over the coming days.

Video

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:20 pm

KFC faces gravy shortage as distribution problems continue

After a chicken shortage led hundreds of KFC outlets to close last week, the fast food chain has now admitted it is running low on gravy.
It said almost all of its 900 shops in the UK and Ireland were now open again.
However, ongoing distribution problems mean some restaurants were serving a "reduced menu".
A spokesman said: "We're working as hard as we can to get this sorted out. We know that our gravy is a big favourite!"

The continuing saga

Any guesses as to what will next on the list? :D

I see that KFC now has its own BBC page: KFC

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:00 am

boatbuilder wrote:After a chicken shortage led hundreds of KFC outlets to close last week, the fast food chain has now admitted it is running low on gravy.
"Ah, Bisto!" :roll:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:10 pm

Near miss as bus swerves to avoid car in Edinburgh

A bus driver swerved to avoid a car during the treacherous weather conditions in Edinburgh.
The footage was filmed on a dashcam by van driver Gareth Smith, who was in the Fairmilehead area of the city.

VIDEO

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:32 pm

Further to the previous post.......

Bus driver Charmaine Laurie talks how she narrowly avoided crash

Footage of the near-miss was caught on the dashcam of a van and went viral on social media.
The back wheels of Charmaine Laurie's double-decker bus skidded on the snow as she tried to avoid smashing into the mini.

VIDEO

Well done to her!

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:39 am

Paramedic attacked in ambulance 'parking row' in Birmingham

A paramedic has been attacked in what was thought to be a row over where the ambulance had been parked.
The unnamed paramedic had been called to Sparkhill in Birmingham to help a woman with chest pain when he was attacked, leaving him injured.
Crewmate Tasha Starkey said she was also threatened and verbally abused.
A 49-year-old man was arrested nearby on suspicion of assault and a public order offence and remains in police custody.
The assault is the latest in a string involving West Midlands Ambulance Service staff.
Friday's attack, in Stratford Street at 10:40 GMT, led to the woman suffering chest pains being taken to hospital by a different ambulance crew while the two original paramedics gave statements to police.
Full report: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bi ... m-43260532