The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

2018 Other News Stories that might be missed

A place to post any interesting news topics
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: 2018 Other News Stories that might be missed

Post by Trigger » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:41 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Platypus milk: How it could combat superbugs

Platypus milk could help combat one of humanity's looming problems, antibiotic resistance, scientists say.
The weird creatures have a duck's beak, venomous feet and are one of only two mammals able to lay eggs.
Australian scientists discovered in 2010 that the semi-aquatic animal's milk contains a potent protein able to fight superbugs.
They've now identified why, and say it could lead to the creation of a new type of antibiotic.
Platypus are monotremes - a tiny group of mammals able to both lay eggs and produce milk.
They don't have teats, instead they concentrate milk to their belly and feed their young by sweating it out.
Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-43415998

When I first saw that headline, I did wonder how one milks a Platypus! :lol:
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:39 pm

NASA 'unable to stop' enormous asteroid Bennu which could hit Earth in 2135

NASA will be unable to stop an enormous asteroid which could crash into Earth in 2135, scientists have warned.
It is estimated that Bennu, which is the size of the Empire State Building, would unleash 1,200 megatons of energy on impact, 80,000 times the energy of the Hiroshima bomb.
Members of a US ‘national planetary defence team’ have published a study warning of the potentially “dire” consequences of the huge space rock smashing into the planet.
Scientists based at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory have been working with NASA on a spacecraft called HAMMER (Hypervelocity Asteroid Mitigation Mission for Emergency Response vehicle).
The 9 metre tall, 8.8 tonne craft is able to deflect asteroids away from Earth and destroy them with nuclear bombs.
In the case of Bennu, scientists have deemed HAMMER “inadequate” as it would be unable to nudge the massive asteroid off course.
The rock is 500 metres in diameter – as wide as five football fields – and weighs about 79 billion kilograms, making it 1,664 times as heavy as the Titanic.
Academics concluded that "using a single HAMMER spacecraft as a battering ram would prove inadequate for deflecting an object like Bennu."
This leaves only the dangerous nuclear option, which is not preferred as it could result in the Earth being showered with radioactive rock fragments.
Bennu has a 1 in 2,700 chance of striking Earth on September 25, 2135.

Full Story

:think: Somehow, I don't think anyone alive today will be too concerned about it.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:25 pm

Rapist caught after urinating in plant pot 30 years later

A rapist who evaded capture for more than 30 years until he urinated in a neighbour's plant pot - leading to a DNA match - has been jailed.
Eric McKenna, 59, raped two women in separate attacks in the North East in 1983 and 1988.
Police had not linked the assaults until they were called to the neighbour dispute in 2016 and took swabs from McKenna which matched the cold cases.
McKenna, of Clarewood Court, Newcastle, has been jailed for 23 years.
Newcastle Crown Court was told analysis of the DNA showed it to be an exact match for samples recovered after both rapes.
McKenna attacked a 21-year-old woman as she walked home near the High Level Bridge in Gateshead in April 1983.
Then, in March 1988, he targeted an 18-year-old student in the Manors area of Newcastle.
He approached both victims from behind as they walked alone and threatened them with a knife.
Det Con Mick Wilson, of Northumbria Police, described it as "a very unusual case" and said McKenna had "failed to show a glimmer of remorse".
He added: "His crimes were calculated, planned and were horrific experiences for the two victims involved.

Full story

I bet he is feeling rather p****d off.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

muzzy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by muzzy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:12 am

The NASA story may not affect us, but will probably affect our grandkids or other future generations. What is scary is that the odds of it hitting Earth are far better than of any of us winning the Lottery.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:37 am

In 117 years from now, maybe my great great grandchildren who are two generations away from my youngest generation who are around today - assuming they continue to procreate - could be affected. Still can't lose any sleep over it, though. Anyway, how do the NASA personnel of today know what will be achievable by then. 117 years ago (1901) the aeroplane hadn't even been invented so look how far mankind has progressed since then.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:12 am

The ultimate poser’s camera: Original Leica made in 1923 sells for £2.1 MILLION in Austria

A rare camera has sold at auction for £2.1 million - making it the most valuable camera in the world.
The Leica camera was made in 1923 and is thought to be one of just three still in its original condition.
The camera went under the hammer at the Westlicht Photographica Auction in Vienna with a starting price of £350,000.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z59z1oMDoI
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:57 pm

Currys PC World apologises for extra charges on laptops

Currys PC World has apologised after customers complained they were pressured into paying up to £40 in set-up fees for a new laptop.
Consumer group Which? said 108 customers had reported being given no choice but to pay the extra amount when they collected their laptop.
Which? said it had raised the issue with the firm "multiple times" since 2015, but continued to hear complaints.
Currys PC World said it was "urgently re-briefing" its stores.
Customers said staff had told them computers that had already been set up were the only ones left in stock, meaning they would have to pay a previously unmentioned set-up fee.
Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43418774

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:04 pm

Romanian court rejects man's claim he's not dead

A Romanian courtroom has rejected a man's claim that he is alive, despite him standing before them.
"I am officially dead; I am a living ghost," Constantin Reliu, 63, told The Associated Press on Friday.
In 1999, after discovering his wife had been cheating on him, he moved to Turkey. In January this year he returned home only to discover his wife had him officially registered as dead in 2016.
On Thursday he pleaded to a courtroom in Vasliu to overturn his death certificate, but the decision is final, a judge told him.
The bizarre situation is anything but amusing for Mr Reliu.
"I have no income and because I am listed as dead. I can't do anything," he told The Associated Press, on the verge of tears.
His wife now lives in Italy and he has no idea whether he is divorced, or whether she has remarried.
"Nobody will tell me."
Mr Reliu wants to file another lawsuit but has no money, and suffers from diabetes, which he says makes everything more difficult.
He also now cannot return to Turkey, but wants to appeal this decision.

Newshub on MSN

I wonder if he committed a murder would they say he couldn't have done it because he is 'dead'? :D

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:50 am

Police worker mistakenly fines himself over untaxed car

A police worker who unwittingly prosecuted himself for having an untaxed vehicle has been mocked by colleagues online.
West Yorkshire Police's Roads Policing Unit said the man had "managed to fill a form in incorrectly" - seemingly putting his own name on the paperwork rather than the actual offender.
In a letter from the DVLA he was told to pay £81 or face court action.
The letter appears to have been posted to a police station in Bradford.
The Roads Policing Unit posted: "To the great amusement of the rest of the office, one of our colleagues managed to fill a form in incorrectly, and prosecuted himself for driving an untaxed vehicle!"
The letter, dated 15 March, states the untaxed vehicle was found in Oak Street, Bradford, on 15 February, and makes a demand for payment of the fine by 1 April.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-43483491

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:22 pm

Toys R Us founder Charles Lazarus dies at 94 as his company folds

The man who founded Toys R Us - the children's toy retailer - has died aged 94, one week after his company announced it was closing its doors.
Charles Lazarus began selling toys in 1957 in large supermarket-style shops after he returned from World War II military service.
His death comes after the company announced it would close all US and UK shops and seek bankruptcy protection.
The "heartbreaking" news of his death was tweeted on Thursday by the firm.
"There have been many sad moments for Toys R Us in recent weeks, and none more heartbreaking than today's news about the passing of our beloved founder, Charles Lazarus," the company wrote online.

Full Story

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:07 pm

Ambulance abuse note woman evicted from Tunstall home

A "neighbour from hell" who left an abusive note on an ambulance while paramedics treated a woman next door has been evicted from her house.
Kirsty Sharman, 26, put the note on the ambulance in Tunstall, Stoke-on-Trent, that ordered the crew to "move your van" from outside her house.
She was fined after pleading guilty to a public order offence last month.
A three-month closure order on the house was granted on Thursday, the Stoke Sentinel reported.
Brian Heath, whose wife was being treated when Sharman left the note described her as a "neighbour from hell".
"I would not wish her on anyone," he added.
"The occupant of the house has been responsible for nine different reports of anti-social behaviour in the local area and caused significant distress to the local community," a Staffordshire Police spokesman said.
"We are hopeful this order will demonstrate how seriously we take anti-social behaviour and discourage the offender from acting the same way again."
Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-st ... e-43513372

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:53 am

The strange items stolen from churches

The biggest insurer of religious buildings says thefts from Anglican churches are rising.
And as the church modernises its music and role in the community, the items being stolen can be surprising.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england ... m-churches – video report.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:35 pm

Car smashes into Worcester home as a family watches TV

Two members of a family suffered broken bones when a car ploughed into their home as they sat watching television.
Robert Beattie, his wife Mel and 15-year-old daughter Tash were sitting in their living room when the car smashed into the house.
The woman and girl are recovering in hospital following Friday's crash.
A 26-year-old man from Worcester has been arrested on suspicion of causing serious injury by dangerous driving and released under investigation.
Mr Beattie said it was nothing short of a miracle he and his family were still alive.
"I got my wife out into the kitchen area as best I could, she was very dazed and confused," he said.
"I then had to go back outside, through the opening, to rescue my daughter from the other side of the car who was again shocked and confused and I carried her back round to the kitchen."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-43543144

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:44 am

Owl causes chaos at wedding, attacking best man after delivering rings

The congregation had fallen silent with nervous anticipation.
All eyes were on the bride and groom, Jeni Arrowsmith, 30, and Mark Wood, 29, standing side by side before their closest friends and relatives, about to make the most solemn of vows to each other.
Then, a beautiful barn owl, two rings hanging in a pouch attached to one leg, swept majestically down the aisle to a collective gasp of delight.
As it glided over their heads, below the ornate surroundings of Peckforton Castle, Cheshire, it landed, as intended on the outstretched arm of the best man.
Unfortunately, rather than unclipping the rings seamlessly from its claw, he struggled with the whole charade for a few seconds too long, clearly finding the task a bit fiddly.
The owl, meanwhile, started to get agitated. It turned towards the congregation and flapped its wings repeatedly.
Mr Wood, who could not believe his friend was unable to complete the relatively simple task at hand, could not bring himself to watch, laughing as he held his head in his hands.
But then, all hell broke loose.
For reasons unknown, the second of the three best men (the groom could not pick a favourite) who was seated in the front row and also happened to have an innate fear of birds, outstretched his arm.
As quick as a flash, the owl launched itself in his direction, flying straight at his face.
Chairs went crashing over he was knocked to the floor, grey suited legs and freshly polished boots flailing in the air.
Read more: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/0 ... ing-rings/

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:04 pm

Fish tank fumes land 10 in hospital

Ten people were taken to hospital after inhaling chemicals released from a fish tank in an Oxfordshire village.
The "potentially toxic" fumes were emitted from coral being cleared from an aquarium at a house Hanney Road, Steventon, on Monday evening.
About 50 emergency services personnel attended, including a hazardous area response team and three ambulances.
Scientist Dr Mike Leahy said the people were probably exposed to "palytoxins" released by the coral.
Six members of a family and four firefighters were taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford, and three family members were kept in overnight after suffering "flu-like symptoms" and eye irritation.
TV presenter Dr Leahy said he was caught inside the police cordon while visiting his mother, who lives on the same road.
He said after hearing about what happened he realised the coral was likely to have released "palytoxins" that can be "incredibly lethal".
"In the main they're absolutely harmless but sometimes if you stress certain types of coral, they can produce a toxin," he said.
He added that "if ingested it can be lethal" but that inhaling fumes was far less dangerous.

Full story

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:43 pm

Italian bookseller guilty of stealing rare copy of Harry Potter

An Italian bookseller has been convicted of stealing a first edition Harry Potter book, signed by J K Rowling, by switching it with a different novel in a shop in central London.
Rudolf Schönegger, 55, swapped a signed version of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire worth £1,675 with a copy of Late Call, by Angus Wilson, at Hatchards in Piccadilly on New Year’s Eve.
CCTV footage showed him browsing in the bookshop before removing the rare Harry Potter novel from its shelf behind the till while a staff member had her back turned, and replacing it with the Wilson book moments later. The novel had been on display with a sticker stating its value.
The collector and seller of rare books, who regularly visits shops in the area, had already been convicted of stealing a rare book from a pop-up store at Fortnum and Mason, just metres away, which occurred about three hours after the Harry Potter theft.
Read More: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ry-potter-