The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

2018 Other News Stories that might be missed

A place to post any interesting news topics
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: 2018 Other News Stories that might be missed

Post by Trigger » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:54 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Teaching assistant who lost his iPhone 8 on night out tracks it down to his local police station using Find My iPhone app only for officers to say they can't find it

A teaching assistant who lost his £799 iPhone 8 on a night out tracked it down to his local police station using a GPS app but officers say they still cannot find it.
Thomas Holdroyd can see the mobile is somewhere inside Ilford police station thanks to Apple's Find My iPhone app.
But the 30-year-old has now waited 11 days to get his much-needed phone back and says he's frustrated that police are holding it hostage.
Mr Holdroyd, who works at a school in Hackney, eastLondon, joked: 'I'm thinking about breaking into the police station to find it.'
Full story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z57gDXEjdU
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:42 pm

I am posting this here as it really is a story that has been missed - by over five years :D
I came across it as I was searching for something else to do with Seaforth, where I was born, and thought it was interesting enough to post even though it's late, if only for the pictures accompanying it...

Steamy reunion: The transatlantic sisters of the Mallard come home for the 75th anniversary of the world's fastest locomotive

Two 'sister' trains of the legendary A4 Mallard - the fastest steam locomotive in the world - have reached the UK for the 75th anniversary of the iconic locomotive
The Dominion of Canada and the Dwight D Eisenhower steam locomotives have travelled a staggering 2,527 miles from Halifax in Canada and arrived at the Port of Liverpool this morning.
The steam locomotive sisters of the A4 Mallard have not been on UK soil for more than half a century.
The trip is part of celebrations of the 75th anniversary of the Mallard becoming the fastest steam locomotive in the world.
It will see all six remaining A4 locomotives reunited next year at the National Rail Museum as the centrepiece of the celebrations.
In July 1938, the mighty blue Mallard was recorded as reaching an awe-inspiring speed of 126mph on the East Coast Main Line, breaking the previous German record of 124mph set in 1936.
As Hitler’s Third Reich was in its ascendancy, the achievement was one of national pride in the United Kingdom.
From the Port of Liverpool’s Seaforth docks, the two trains will continue to travel by road more than 150 miles northeast on low-loader to the National Railway Museum in Shildon.
The locomotives, which weigh 94 tonnes each, will be on display for a short time at Shildon, then will part ways as the Dwight D Eisenhower moves to York to be given a fresh lick of paint in the museum workshop.
The Dominion of Canada will be painted the same iconic shade of blue as Mallard in the workshop at Shildon.
Gary Hodgson, Managing Director of Peel Ports-Mersey, said that the Port of Liverpool is delighted to be part of what is a unique and historic event.

Story from October 2012
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:01 am

Luton cat eats pen in finger-biting bath protest

A cat swallowed a ballpoint pen during a bath-time struggle with her owner.
Long-haired cat Bella bit her owner's finger as she tried to avoid getting wet at her home in Luton.
The owner used the pen in an attempt to prise open the cat's jaws, but Bella ran off with it in her mouth and swallowed it.
Vets who operated to remove the pen were "amazed" it caused no damage. Bella recovered fully, as Luton Today reported - and the pen still worked.
"I don't think Bella wanted to be bathed - like most cats," Agnes Szabo, practice manager at Easipetcare in Luton, said.
"They tried to open her mouth with a pen so she would let go of the finger, but Bella just ran off and the pen disappeared."
When the cat began vomiting, the owners suspected she may have swallowed the ballpoint, and took her to the surgery.
"It was a shock for the whole team when we saw the X-ray," Ms Szabo said.
"No-one has ever seen anything like a whole pen inside a cat before."
Surgeons operated for about 30 minutes.
Out of curiosity the team checked the pen and it worked perfectly, Ms Szabo said.
"It could have ended very badly for Bella," she said.
"She was a very lucky cat indeed."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-be ... s-43129496
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:04 am

Anger at nearly £4k disabled parking bay charge

A woman with multiple sclerosis has criticised an "extortionate" £3,800 charge to create a disabled parking bay outside her home.
Cornwall Council charges applicants for a disabled bay thousands of pounds but elsewhere people pay nothing.
Councillor Richard Pears said the authority is "effectively charging people for being disabled" and the cost should be subsidised.
The matter will be discussed at a full council meeting on Tuesday.
In comparison, Medway Council in Kent charges £40 (if successful), while Leicestershire County Council charges £100.
Cornwall Council said the £3,800 cost is for a Traffic Regulation Order, advertising, public consultation and painting the new bay.
However, once installed the space does not guarantee parking for an individual as it is available for any disabled person to use.
Full article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-42772258

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:54 am

I thought that story seemed familiar, I posted it here a month ago Trigger. :D
https://www.mylowestoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1779&start=30#p83651

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:06 am

Trigger wrote:A cat swallowed a ballpoint pen during a bath-time struggle with her owner.
If it had gone right through the cat, I imagine there would be a 'pen and ink' when it came out the other end ;) :D
My Flickr pictures look here

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:23 pm

FaceTime chat 'saves woman's life'

A woman who had a stroke while on a FaceTime video call with her sister, says the technology saved her life.
Opokua Kwapong, who lives alone in New York, was on a call with her sister, Adumea Sapong, in Manchester, when Mrs Sapong noticed that her elder sibling "didn't look right".
She raised the alarm after she also noticed her sister's voice was slurred.
Ms Kwapong said she had not realised how serious the situation was.
The 58-year-old had woken from an afternoon nap when Mrs Sapong had called her on FaceTime, a video calling feature on iPhones.
Ms Kwapong said: "My sister looked at me and said she could see that my face didn't look right.
"She also said that I was slurring my words, but I thought she was just fussing and I didn't believe her."
Mrs Sapong said: "When I called Opokua she said that she'd not been feeling well and had been feeling tired and was also having some difficulty walking.
"I said, 'Perhaps you need to take some aspirin.' She tried to pick up a glass of water and wasn't able to. Then I noticed on the FaceTime video call that her face was drooping. I told her she needed to hang up and immediately see a doctor.
"She thought I was making a fuss so I then conferenced in one of my other sisters, who is a doctor, and she could hear her speaking and could also tell that her speech was slurred. We both told her to call for help straightaway."
Ms Kwapong hung up the call and then dialled 911.
Following hospital scans, Ms Kwapong was diagnosed as having had a clot on the brain.
The stroke has left her paralysed on her left side.
Ms Kwapong, who works as a food scientist, said: "There is no doubt that FaceTime saved my life.
"If my sister had not noticed that something was not right, then things could have been so different.

Full story

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:47 pm

Moment policeman catches falling child

A policeman guarding a bank in Asyut, Egypt, caught a child falling from the third floor.
The child was unharmed and the policeman was only slightly injured.

Link with CCTV Video

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:15 pm

It's people like this who make me 'angry', for want of 'unprintable' words.

Cheshire drink-driver tells court 'driveway too long to walk'

A drink-driver begged magistrates not to ban her from the road because her £6m mansion's quarter-mile driveway was too long for her to walk.
Barbara Woodward, 56, also claimed she would struggle to do community service as she had never worked in her life.
Police arrested her for being three times the limit at 09:00 GMT in Chelford, Cheshire on 17 November.
She denied drink driving but was banned for two years after being convicted at Stockport Magistrates' Court.
Defending, Nigel Beeson said: "This lady has quite a large front drive - it is a quarter of a mile from the road and it would be difficult for her.
"She would have to make some lifestyle changes to go about her day-to-day life."
Mr Beeson also said Woodward would find a community sentence difficult as it would "put her in an alien surrounding" as she had never worked.
Magistrates instead ordered her to do 15 days' rehabilitation and fined her £560 with £760 surcharges.
Cheshire Police found her slumped at the wheel of her £79,000 Mercedes G-Class 4x4, with her make-up smeared and slurring her words.
The court heard she had tried to buy sparkling wine at a petrol station to make bucks fizz for friends.
Petrol station attendant Sharid Butt said: "The lady got out of the car and was stumbling all over the forecourt.
"She grabbed three bottles of different wines then she stumbled over to the counter to pay me for them.
"She didn't seem right and I knew she was drunk."
He called police after she drove off at 5mph and staggered out of another shop.
The court heard it happened two days after her husband's funeral.
Mrs Woodward said: "He did everything, and then when he died I had to take over. I had never paid a bill in my life."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-43155014

muzzy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by muzzy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:48 pm

To be fair, it was only 2 days after the funeral of her husband. Some compassion has to be given there. I think if she had pled guilty on the grounds of suffering grief, they would have been much more lenient.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:10 pm

I very much doubt they would have been, they have to be seen to be upholding the law, no matter what the circumstances. Reading between the lines, my own belief is she may have already had an underlying alcohol problem.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:26 am

Earliest ever British strawberries arrive on supermarket shelves

Britain may be in the grip of a cold snap but consumers can get a taste of the first UK strawberries of 2018, which went on sale on Thursday.
A Welsh fruit grower has broken the record for picking the earliest ever British strawberries – grown in glasshouses – and getting them on to supermarket shelves.
The berries, grown by Springfield Nursery near Cowbridge in south Wales, went on sale in Tesco’s Bridgend Extra store. The discount supermarket Aldi was also selling strawberries at its store in Bridgend.
They are the earliest British strawberries on supermarket shelves since 2007, when strawberries grown in Kent went on sale on 26 February.
Full article https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... lves-wales

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:22 pm

Video shows brazen flytipper dumping mountain of waste that attract rats in a Salford street

This is the moment a brazen flytipper dumps a mountain of waste at the side of a street.
Council staff in Salford were left to clean up a smelly mess of jars of pickles, yoghurt, milk, plastic bottles and other rubbish dumped just two miles from a council tip.
Flytipper Terence Tyndall wasn’t aware his every move was being monitored and recorded by a CCTV camera.
The crystal clear footage, released as a warning to others, captures Tyndall calmly walking back to the site of the dumping ground to retrieve a heavy-duty bag the rubbish was put in.
Unemployed Tyndall, 53, of The Fold, Blackley, pleaded guilty to illegally dumping waste on Bramley Street in Broughton, Salford, on May 1 last year.
Salford council brought the case under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and at Manchester and Salford magistrates court, he was fined £480, ordered to pay costs of £170 and £480 in compensation to the council.
Full article: https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... h-14322102

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:28 pm

As he is unemployed, I wonder how he going to be able to afford to pay the £1100 plus? Maybe they should seize his vehicle and sell it to cover the fine, etc.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:25 pm

boatbuilder wrote:As he is unemployed, I wonder how he going to be able to afford to pay the £1100 plus? Maybe they should seize his vehicle and sell it to cover the fine, etc.
A good point. Can't help wondering if the authorities will have looked into his finances - including what he holds in bank accounts. After all, he could have 'loadsa money' 'hidden' in various accounts - which he hasn't declared.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:20 am

Wrexham pub offers discount to diners who lock phones away

Ever been out for a meal with someone who spent more time staring at their phone than looking at you?
One Wrexham pub has started running an offer to help make this a thing of the past and encourage people to talk without any distractions.
Customers at The Fat Boar will get 25% off food bills for giving up their phones as part of its "Mobile Free Monday".
The phones will be locked in cash boxes on tables and staff hold the keys.
Rich Watkin, the Fat Boar's director, said: "Mobiles can often be a real distraction and stop us from just sitting among family and friends and simply having a good conversation and that's why I came up with the idea."
Full article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-nort ... s-43181353

Let's hope that more restaurants copy this idea! :D