The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 13th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 21st March 2024 at 5:07pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

2018 Local News Stories

A place to post any interesting news topics
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: 2018 Local News Stories

Post by Trigger » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:46 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Man jailed for arranging acid attack on Adele Bellis fails in bid to clear his name

A Lowestoft man serving a life sentence for arranging a savage acid attack on his ex-girlfriend has failed in a bid to clear his name.
Beautician Adele Bellis, 25, suffered permanent scarring to her face and lost an ear after having sulphuric acid thrown over her.
Her embittered ex, Anthony Riley, 28, of Raglan Road, Lowestoft, was jailed for life for arranging the attack.
He was found guilty of conspiracy to commit grievous bodily harm, conspiracy to apply a corrosive liquid and false imprisonment during a trial at Ipswich Crown Court in October 2015.
Last year he won the right to appeal on a technicality, after top judges paved the way for him to challenge his convictions at the Court of Appeal in London.
But on Thursday, at London’s Appeal Court, as he asked Lord Justice Davis to overturn his convictions claiming his trial was unfair, Riley failed in his bid to clear his name.
Full article: http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/man-j ... -1-5396809
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:30 am

Inspirational girl who survived stroke at four-years-old is running 5K for charity

Five years ago Amanda Dewbery was woken by the sound of her four-year-old daughter crying for help.
She rushed into her daughter’s room and found her on the floor, unable to lift herself up.
Lily had suffered a stroke overnight and had fallen out of her bed.
With the left side of her body unresponsive, she was unable to get up.
Mrs Dewberry said: “I recognised the signs of a stroke from the adverts on TV, but I couldn’t comprehend the thought of my four-year-old daughter having one.”
Lily, who is from Lowestoft, was taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge where she was treated for a week before returning home.
Years of hard work and physiotherapy followed.
Mrs Dewbery said: “At the beginning it was terrible.
“Everyday life was completely different. People say you get tired after a stroke but it was more than that – Lily was completely exhausted.”
For the first 18-months Lily was restricted to her old buggy when leaving the house but day by day she grew stronger.
Mrs Dewbery said: “I realise now we were incredibly lucky. Some children are left in a much worse condition after a stroke.”
And now, aged nine, the stroke survivor will take part in a 5K run to raise money and awareness for those who have gone through similar ordeals.
Lily hopes to raise £500 for the Stroke Association by completing the charity’s Resolution Run on Sunday, February 25, at Norwich’s Catton Park.
The heroic youngster said she was “excited” to take part in the event and added: “I want to raise more money to help other children who have had strokes.
“I’m going to walk as far as I can and have been exercising to get my body strong so I can do it.”
As well as training with her father on the family’s cross trainer Lily has been completing 5K park runs with her mother each Sunday in preparation.
With a personal best of 48 minutes to beat, Lily is ready for the challenge ahead.
Full article: http://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/news/ ... -1-5395284 – includes link to the “Just Giving” site to donate and support Lily.
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:50 pm

Audi and BMW badly damaged in crash on busy junction

Police and the East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust (EEAST) were called out on Friday (February 16) following reports of a two-vehicle collision on Bevan Street East.
At the scene they found that two of the vehicles involved, an Audi Q7 and a BMW convertible, very badly damaged.
It is understood that the two vehicles involved in the crash may have also collided with two other parked vehicles.
However, it has not yet been established which of the two vehicles were involved in the initial crash.
A police spokesman said: “We were called shortly after 12.40pm today (Friday) following reports of a two-vehicle road traffic collision at Bevan Street East.
“The collision happened on the junction of Katwijk Way.
“The road was not blocked and traffic was being directed at the scene. A woman driver may have some injuries and an ambulance was called. It appears that the two vehicles may have collided with two other parked vehicles.”
http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/audi-and-bm ... -1-5397647 includes photos.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:41 pm

Chief exec on £170k a year banned from driving for six months for speeding after losing ‘exceptional hardship’ plea

Mark Lapping admitted four offences of speeding, committed between February 21 and May 25 last year, but this morning asked magistrates in Norwich to keep his licence.
Lapping told the court he is the CEO of Global Chair Components in Southwold, and regularly needs to travel to the site in Reydon from his home at Rudham Road, Helhoughton.
The 48-year-old father of two already had nine points for speeding offences, and has now had his licence endorsed with a further 12.
Driving a Land Rover Discovery, he was caught at 72mph in a 60 limit on February 21 at Sutton Bridge.
In the same vehicle on May 6 he was caught at 35 in a 30 at Whaplode in Lincolnshire, on May 20 at 62 in a 50 on the A414 at Stanstead Abbotts, and on May 25 at 35 in a 30, again at Whaplode.
Pleading exceptional hardship, Lapping told the court: “I am responsible for the business and that requires me to be in Reydon on a regular basis. I can’t get there by public transport in the time available. The duties extend throughout the UK as they have customers in China and Eastern Europe which requires transport to airports.
Full article: http://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/news/ ... -1-5400129

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:50 am

Mammoth bones donated to Norwich charity shop

Animal bones dating back five million years - including some from a mammoth - have been handed into a charity shop.
The remains of bison and fossilised sea urchins were also among the donations handed into the Norwich branch of East Anglia's Children's Hospices (EACH).
Norfolk Museum Service, which was asked to examine the items, said they dated from 500,000 to five million years ago and had all been found locally.
Sally Rix, manager of the charity shop, said the gift was "definitely a first".
The mammal bones - which include two from either Steppe or southern mammoths, red deer and bison - included in the donation from the anonymous woman mostly date back to the Pleistocene and Pliocene epochs, the museum service said.
It said all the bones and fossils would have been found in Norfolk,
although it is not yet clear exactly where they were discovered - or when.
The museum assessment did not put a price on the items.
The sale of the bones and fossils will take place next month, the charity said.
EACH, which has the Duchess of Cambridge as patron, said it hoped the items would "raise a considerable amount of money" for its new hospice, the Nook, when sold.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-43117464

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:55 pm

Great Yarmouth Charter Academy bans 'McDonald's' hairstyle

A school has banned a series of "extreme hairstyles", including one known as "Meet me at McDonald's".
The style is one of six deemed "unacceptable" for boys at Great Yarmouth Charter Academy in Norfolk.
"Uniform and appearance are a key part of developing school ethos," a letter to parents read.
A spokesman for the school, which has strict behaviour rules, said he could not comment further.
The letter does not expand on the "Meet me at McDonald's" style.
However Norwich hairdresser, Matthew Barber, described it as a curly perm teased into a high bouffant on top with shaved back and sides, or "fades".
The letter to parents said boys whose hair had "not been restyled appropriately" by the end of February would be sent home or put into isolation.
Principal Barry Smith offered to show them a PowerPoint document of styles to avoid, which also include:
  • Overgrown, heavy fringes brushed forward onto the face
  • High-top styles of excessive height
  • Shaven parting lines
  • Hair that is teased to give excessive height
  • Any variation on the Mohican style
Photographs of the "extreme styles" have been displayed at the school but it has so far declined to provide the images to the BBC.
Parent had mixed views on the rules, although none interviewed had heard of the "McDonald's" hairstyle.
Outside the school gates, one told the BBC: "To be quite fair [the principal is] only implementing stuff that was bog standard when we were at school."
Another mother, who had received the letter, said: "It seems to us to be a bit silly. I don't understand how having a haircut affects a child's learning."
The school was taken over by the Inspiration Trust last year, with new principal Mr Smith saying his rules would ensure pupils "leave achieving really good exam results".

Report with Images

There doesn't seem to be anything objectionable to me in the haircut shown.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:38 pm

Councillors back proposal to prioritise renovation of Town Hall as possible home for record office

Proposals to restore Lowestoft’s Town Hall as a potential new home for the record office have been unanimously backed by councillors.
A motion to prioritise the renovation and redesign of the building to create a purpose built facility for the record office if plans to close the current facility continue, was put before members of Waveney District Council on Wednesday by councillor Peter Byatt.
Mr Byatt, who is also a member of Lowestoft Town Council, said: “It is about putting in place a possible back up plan, a plan B should an alternative be needed to keep this important collection in Lowestoft.
“I understand that there are funding implications, but there is nothing to prevent the 5,000 people who signed the petition from starting their own subscription to support this.
“We have a very competent team of officers already involved and I’m sure that they would explore every funding avenue alongside all stakeholders to expedite the renovation of the Town Hall as a matter urgency.”
Full article: http://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/news/ ... -1-5408085

Let's hope it happens!

muzzy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by muzzy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:09 pm

Unfortunately, the issue about the town hall is disputed; apparently as the Lowestoft Town Council own the building then all decisions about its future have to go through them - and they didn't know about this suggestion until now! Also an issue as apparently Waveney District Council have put forward this suggestion without actually offering any funding themselves, expecting others to pay for it. Should be interesting to see what develops.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:35 pm

Town unveils new signs to boost tourism and trade

Image: Lowestoft Journal

A series of pedestrian signs have been installed throughout Lowestoft as part of a wider vision to encourage tourism and promote the town’s key attractions.
The ‘Discover Lowestoft’ signs, which will guide visitors from Kensington Gardens in the south of the town though to Sparrows Nest Gardens in the north, were officially unveiled today.
In total 21 signs have been produced, 11 fingerposts and 10 totems, to improve navigation around the town and highlight places of interest, side streets and hidden gems.
The project was jointly funded by Waveney District Council (WDC) and Lowestoft Vision, the town’s business improvement district.
Michael Ladd, WDC’s cabinet member for tourism and economic development, said: “These attractive new signs will help visitors navigate the town, allowing them to discover interesting destinations such as the beach, the historic Scores and a variety of public spaces. “The town has much to explore and by raising the profile of these ‘hidden’ areas, visitors will be more likely to enjoy longer stays and more frequent return visits.”
Mr Ladd said the scheme will sit alongside a number of regeneration projects for the South Beach and seafront areas.
And it is hoped the project will attract new visitors to the town and in turn boost the local economy.

Lowestoft Journal link

The signs are OK once you are here, but surely to attract visitors to the town requires extensive external advertising in areas other than here. What is being done on that score?

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

muzzy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by muzzy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:02 pm

I personally think the signs look awful. Pink does not look professional, and the writing on them is not very visible. I wonder which group of designers did this, how much they were paid for their consultancy, and what ties they may have had to members of WDC or Lowestoft Vision. I also wonder how much discussion took place between WDC and the Lowestoft Council, and how much these signs cost in total. In my view, a waste of money.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:25 pm

So difficult to read white on pink if your eyes aren’t the best
Not a good look in my opinion and totally unnecessary there were already signage up money wasted
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:38 pm

boatbuilder wrote:A series of pedestrian signs have been installed throughout Lowestoft as part of a wider vision to encourage tourism and promote the town’s key attractions.
On a pessimistic note; I wonder how long before they need replacing!!
My Flickr pictures look here

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:21 pm

Boatbuilding college hopes for a fair wind with projects up for two national awards

A college that endeavours to keep the craft of boatbuilding alive is crossing its fingers after being nominated for two national awards.
Against the backdrop of the area’s rich maritime history, the International Boatbuilding Training College (IBTC) Lowestoft offers courses for anyone interested in an industry career or simply looking to supplement their hobby.
A huge variety of projects are undertaken at the college, based in Oulton Broad, and two of its latest products have been recognised by Classic Boat Magazine as part of their annual Classic Boat Awards.
Both of the nominations come in the ‘Traditional New Build’ category, for which vessels must be unpowered and launched in the last 12 months.
The ‘James Caird’ is a replica of the 23’6” lug yawl in which Ernest Shackleton made his epic Antarctic voyage in 1916, while ‘Boy Charlie’ is the new Walberswick Ferry, a rowing boat that has been transporting people across the River Blyth for more than 800 years.
Lyn Tupper, who has co-owned the site alongside her husband Mike since 2015, said: “We’re absolutely delighted to receive two nominations in the awards.
“The James Caird project lasted four to five months and involved replicating all kinds of modifications that Shackleton had on his boat; it was something everybody enjoyed working on.”

Full Story - Lowestoft Journal

Good to see the college where I trained is still doing well. dancer1

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:17 pm

Peter Wrighton murder: Ex-soldier found guilty

A former soldier has been found guilty of murdering an 83-year-old dog walker who suffered 45 knife wounds.
Alexander Palmer, 24, attacked Peter Wrighton from behind with a knife before dragging his body under brambles in woodland in Norfolk in August 2017.
At Nottingham Crown Court, he had admitted being in the area at the time of the attack but denied murder.
Palmer, of Cringleford, near Norwich, will be sentenced on Thursday so Mr Wrighton's widow can attend.

'Kill strangers'

Mr Justice Goose said: "The widow of the deceased followed proceedings yesterday and may wish to witness the sentence tomorrow. She should be given this opportunity.
"It is inevitable the defendant will receive a sentence of life imprisonment - it will be up to me as to the minimum term he will have to serve."
Palmer mouthed the words "I love you" to his family as the judge sent him down to the cells.
He showed no emotion as the jury delivered its verdict after 49 minutes of deliberations.
During the trial the court heard police were initially unaware of Palmer and concluded the victim had been attacked and killed near East Harling on 5 August by some sort of animal, due to his throat injuries.
But a psychologist who had treated Palmer at RAF Marham read press reports of the case.
She contacted the force telling them she thought he could be responsible for the death.
Prosecutor Stephen Spence said Palmer told medical professionals a voice in his head called "Little Alex" instructed him to harm people or kill them.

BBC News

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:48 am

Items stolen from an ambulance as crew helped patient into home

An ambulance was broken in to and personal items stolen as a crew helped a patient into their home.
It happened on Saturday evening, around 7.30pm, while staff from private patient transport service ERS Medical helped a patient home to the Bishopsgate area of Norwich from the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital (NNUH).
In a public post shared on Facebook, reportedly from one of the crew members, they said they offloaded the patient - who needed to be on a stretcher - before putting up the ramp to the ambulance, locking the door, and taking the patient inside.
But they said: “On our return a lady across the road said a couple of youths went up to the vehicle, tried the doors, and spent a few minutes at the driver’s side and got the door open. She then saw them grab our bags and run off. As a result we are now down two iPads, house keys, car keys, and a purse. What makes it alright to watch a crew take a patient and then break into an ambulance and steal personal belongings?”
Full report: http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/health/ambu ... -1-5420689

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:58 am

We know these things shouldn't happen, but unfortunately they do, so maybe all ambulances should be alarmed to alert crews of any such occurrences as they must have to leave their ambulances in that state frequently and as we know those vehicles carry valuable essential life-saving equipment.

Hopefully they'll catch the b******s.