The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

2018 Local News Stories

A place to post any interesting news topics
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: 2018 Local News Stories

Post by Trigger » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:37 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

‘Flour bombing’ teen sentenced for ‘nasty attack’ on woman

A teenager who lost his job and college place, and was subjected to “worldwide opprobrium”, must now repay the community for his part in a “nasty attack” on a vulnerable woman.
Cohan Semple was the only one of five teens to have turned 18 when charged and then convicted of ‘flour bombing’ the 49-year-old in Bury St Edmunds on July 27.
As such, Semple, of Willcox Avenue, faced adult sentencing for threatening, abusive or disorderly behaviour, in an incident that drew ire from across the globe.
After pleading guilty in Ipswich on November 1, Semple returned to relive the case, as prosecutor Lucy Miller described the victim sitting on a bench off St Olaves Road when approached by a group of youths who asked if she wanted to buy drugs and then spat on her.
Some disappeared, she told the court, before returning with eggs and flour, which the group threw over her – an act captured on camera by Semple, who shared the photo with about 20 Snapchat contacts – one of whom posted the offending image on Facebook.
Semple gave up the names of his co-conspirators when they were put to him in interview, but would not divulge his Facebook password and bemoaned receiving “death threats, humiliation and invasions of privacy”. Only with a solicitor present, did he express remorse for the photo, which he insisted was not intended for publication beyond a small group.
Full article
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:39 pm

‘Totally offensive!’: BBC Christmas film set in Cromer angers working mums

BBC One’s short film Wonderland has sparked outrage among viewers who say it makes working mums feel guilty.
The two-minute piece, which was filmed in Cromer at the start of October, tells the story of a mum who has to go into the office instead of spending time with her teenage son.
However, when the son is playing a video game at a Cromer arcade and the mum is battling a frozen keyboard, time itself freezes, except for those two.
The mum rushes to the seaside town, where she and her son spend a magical day having fun at the Christmas fair and amusements on Cromer Pier.
It’s intended to be a tear-jerking reflection on the importance of making time for family and the things that really matter at Christmas.
But not everyone found Wonderland so magical, saying it painted working mums in a negative light.
But not everyone found Wonderland so magical, saying it painted working mums in a negative light.
Twitter user Elliw Gwawr said: “I’ve just seen the BBC Christmas ad and I can’t believe that they’re playing on the guilt of working mums. I had my child crying down the phone at me the other night whilst I was working late once again. I already feel guilty, please don’t try and make me feel worse.
Article
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:22 pm

I think some people have nothing better to do these days than look to pull-apart everything that goes on around them, with their warped minds. What if had been a dad rather than a mum? I bet they wouldn't have thought the same way - nor would a man have thought the same as them. In my opinion, there's too much of the #MeToo type of culture around these days, I'm afraid.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:39 am

Dead moth in flour and expired food in fridge - takeaway slapped with zero food hygiene rating

A takeaway was handed a zero food hygiene rating after an inspector found a dead moth in the flour, expired food in the fridge and dirty utensils in the kitchen.
Manhattan Pizza and Kebab in Bridge Road in Lowestoft was slapped with the rating following an inspection in September by Waveney District Council.
An inspector found 18 areas in which the takeaway needed to change its practices and said urgent improvement was necessary, describing what they had seen in the following Food Business Intervention Reports.
The inspector said the walls and floors in the main kitchen and basement food prep rooms were dirty and greasy, as were the wash-hand basins which did not have hand soap or drying facilities.
Cooking equipment such as pizza lids, pizza ovens, and the shelves of a walk-in freezer were all described as “dirty”, while the report also points out “filthy” touch points around the food prep area including door handles, light switches and handrails.
EDP

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:07 pm

Parent who was ‘frightening’ children at a Norfolk school rows with police officer

A parent who was “frightening” children by wearing a face mask outside of a Norfolk secondary school has been captured having a heated argument with a police officer after he refused to remove it.
The video, which emerged on YouTube, has been viewed by more than 89,000 people.
It shows the headteacher of Lynn Grove Academy in Gorleston explaining the school had received complaints from parents about the mask.
A heated argument then breaks out between the police officer and parent.
The parent said he was waiting outside of the school which teaches pupils aged 11 to 16 years-old to pick up his stepson and was wearing the mask because he was “cold”.
In the description of the video the man says his mask covers his mouth and nose whilst he is biking.
The police officer takes the parent to task over his “attitude” and accuses him of being “rude and abusive” towards headteacher, Alison Mobbs.
The man goes on to ask two onlookers if they “had a problem” with him wearing the mask to which they appear to deny any concern.
As the argument continues in front of a crowd of pupils, the police officer accuses the man of “scaring members of staff” and threatens to arrest him if he continues to swear at him.
In the argument the parent tells the police officer “you work for me” and says it is not his problem if people are scared of the mask.
EDP

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:12 pm

38A997FB-89F1-4729-9B01-87779A2DA0D8.jpeg

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:22 am

40ft helter skelter to be erected inside Norwich Cathedral

For the first time in its history a fairground ride will be erected inside Norwich Cathedral as a 40ft helter skelter is coming to the nave next year.
As part of the Seeing It Differently initiative, the ride will be installed in the west end of the nave from August 7-18.
It is believed to be the first time in the cathedral’s history that a fairground ride has been installed inside the building.
The hope is this rather unusual addition will give people the chance to experience the centuries-old space in a new way and open up conversations about faith.
Visitors climbing up to have a go on the ride will be treated to unique views of the cathedral - including a closer look at its famous medieval roof bosses that depict stories from the Bible - and they will quite literally see things differently.
EDP

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:23 am

Halo brace boy from Long Stratton puts on brave face

A young boy who had a halo brace fitted to his head after he fell off playground equipment has spoken of the moment he looks forward to taking it off.
Six-year-old Jake Boast, from Norfolk, fell off pirate ship apparatus in the school playground and dislodged two vertebrae in his neck.
His mother, Chloe Moule, said: "As soon as they [doctors] said metal rods have got to be put in your son's skull, that was the most terrifying experience of my life."
It is hoped after 10 weeks the brace can be removed.
Speaking about what he will do afterwards, Jake said: "I'm really looking forward to riding my bike and going on my skateboard to the park."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... brave-face

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: 2018 Local News Stories.

Post by morty1753 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:53 pm

BBC local news tonight stated that Suffolk council tax will rise by 4%. I guess we will see.

moved from National & International News by admin.
I before E except after C - That's weird

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:35 pm

Looks like an overall 4.7% according to this:

Lowestoft Journal

So much for the 3% imposed limit. It makes a farce of the whole issue.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:51 am

Tiny snails which hold key to A47 work moved, but five year study now needed

The last of the tiny snails which hold the key to the prospect of the A47 Acle Straight being dualled have finally been moved.
But it will still be five years before it becomes clear if their relocation can pave the way for work.
Dykes around the road are one of the few habitats of the Little Whirlpool Ramshorn Snail - which is on an international ‘red list’ of endangered species.
Because the miniscule molluscs are so rare, they are protected by law, so Highways England has to ensure any work does not threaten them further.
In 2016, they started a process to move 800 snails away from the dykes by the side of the road to another part of the marshes.
A follow-up survey indicated the snails, which have shells less than a fifth of an inch in diameter, had survived the switch and were breeding, so an even larger number was moved last year.
And this year, a similar number of the gastropods were moved.
However, they need to be monitored for five years before the switch can be declared a success - and that study is not due to conclude until 2023.
EDP

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:20 pm

Pitch and putt course to close after costing taxpayers £50,000 per year

A pitch and putt golf course which cost taxpayers almost £1,000-a-week is set to close down after years of declining popularity.
Dip Farm Pitch and Putt, in Corton Road, Lowestoft, will shut its doors for the final time later this month.
Despite considerable investment the nine-hole golf course, which is owned by Waveney District Council and managed by Sentinel Leisure Trust, has seen its fortunes fade in recent years.
Marketing campaigns to attract customers have proved fruitless and WDC have said “declining participation and increased costs to the public purse” has left the partners with no choice but to close the facility.
Graham Catchpole, cabinet member for operations and facilities at WDC, said: “Obviously it is sad that we must take this decision, but given that we are currently losing £50,000 per year from the facility, it is the right thing to do and will enable us to deliver greater financial sustainability for our other leisure services.
“It will help us to deliver new leisure opportunities and will of course help out other local courses by the removal of competition for participation.”
EDP

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:12 am

Seal pup found in Terrington St Clement back garden

A three-week-old seal pup was found in a back garden four miles (6.4km) away from the sea.
The RSPCA said it was found in Terrington St Clement in Norfolk.
It said it believed the pup travelled up a drainage system in the hope of finding water or food.
Animal collection officer Naemi Kilbey said she was grateful the "incredibly feisty little fella" was found, otherwise he may have died from starvation.
The seal pup was taken to the RSPCA East Winch Wildlife Centre where it was checked over.
Ms Kilbey said it was found in a garden in an area surrounded by agricultural farmland and "there was definitely no sign of the sea or a beach".
She said the water system had only two inches of water in it "so this poor pup must have just kept trying to travel further and further down in the hope of finding water or food".
BBC

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:18 pm

I certainly wouldn't like the job of dusting all these. :D

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:41 am

'Trash Girl' Nadia Sparkes defies bullies to go global

A 13-year-old who was nicknamed "Trash Girl" by bullies for clearing litter from the streets has gained a global following for her work.
Nadia Sparkes, from Norfolk, refused to let the taunts deter her from litter-picking on her way to and from school.
After her story went viral she became an ambassador for the wildlife charity WWF, and now has more than 4,000 followers on social media.
Nadia said she was "really pleased" to see her efforts make a difference.
Since starting her crusade, the teenager has collected more than 1,100 litres of rubbish - enough to fill about 40 kitchen bins.
She leaves an hour early to go to school each day so she can "clear her route" using her bicycle basket, doing one side of the road on the way in and the opposite side on the way back.
Earlier this year, Nadia - who said being called "Trash Girl" made her feel like a superhero - was immortalised in cartoon form.
The teenager, who loves to draw, is also being given the chance to publish her own on-message cartoon in the Eastern Daily Press newspaper.
BBC

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:44 am

Suffolk farm drone in near-miss with Tornado jet

An RAF Tornado travelling at 517mph (832km/h) came within 22m (72ft) of hitting a drone, a report has revealed.
The jet, which was flying in formation 10 miles (16km) north-east of Wattisham Airfield in Suffolk, did not see the remote-controlled aircraft, according to the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).
The drone pilot, which reported the incident, said there was a high risk of collision.
The CAA Airprox board's report said "safety had been much reduced".
The drone, which was carrying out an agricultural survey, was at an altitude of 100m (328ft) while the jet was at 121.9m (400ft) when the near-miss took place on 4 July.
The Airprox board said this, combined with a lack of visual warning, had resulted in "a significant and largely unmitigated safety risk" and recommended that RAF Air Command uses a system to receive notification of commercial drone operations.
BBC