The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

2018 National & International News Stories.

A place to post any interesting news topics
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: 2018 National & International News Stories.

Post by Trigger » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:13 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Mental health: Five people called Met Police 8,655 times in 2017

Five people racked up 8,655 calls to the Metropolitan Police in 2017 - costing £70,000 to answer.
What did the top five repeat callers have in common? Mental health problems.
A watchdog for police forces in England and Wales released the figure to show how police have become the "default" service to deal with mental health.
Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire and Rescue Service claims the broader mental health system is "broken".
The Home Office said it was investing in mental health services and praised "police leadership" in the area.
But the Police Federation welcomed the "frank assessment" from the Inspectorate and said the prime minister and home secretary "should hang their heads in shame".
BBC News
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:16 pm

Coventry supermarket death crash bus firm fined £2.3m

A bus company has been fined £2.3m after ignoring warnings about an "erratic" driver who crashed into a supermarket, killing two people.
Midland Red (South) Ltd admitted health and safety breaches after Kailash Chander smashed into a Sainsbury's in Coventry in 2015.
Mr Chander had been driving dangerously when he mistook the accelerator for the brake, a fact finding trial concluded.
The former mayor, now 80, was deemed unfit to stand trial due to dementia.

See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:36 pm

Salford Royal Hospital: Man died after 'appalling' error

A seriously ill grandfather had his lungs accidentally washed out with cleaning detergent at an NHS hospital, a report has revealed.
William Hannah, 68, of Bolton, died the day after the botched procedure, though it is not yet known if it contributed to his death in September 2017.
He was being treated at Salford Royal Hospital after being hit by a car.
The hospital said Mr Hannah "did not receive the high standard of care we pride ourselves on delivering".
Mr Hannah's family have instructed lawyers ahead of an inquest into his death at Bolton Coroner's Court in February.
BBC News
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:39 pm

LNER train was 100mph above 'speed limit'

A train travelled at 120mph (193km/h) on a section of track with an emergency 20mph (32km/h) speed restriction, investigators have said.
The Aberdeen to London King's Cross service went through the section at Sandy South Junction, Bedfordshire, on 19 October.
The speed restriction was imposed on 18 October because maintenance staff had found a crack in a set of points.
BBC News

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:45 pm

Syrian schoolboy attacked in video 'crying at night' over bullying since arrival in UK

A Syrian boy who was attacked in a video shared widely online has been left "crying at night" over the bullying he has received since his arrival in the UK.
Speaking exclusively to ITV News, the 15-year-old refugee,who cannot be named for legal reasons, described how he has been targeted by bullies for the past two years.
The teenager, who came to the UK with his family through a United Nations programme, said: "I was feeling unsafe everywhere - even to go to the shop."
"I was feeling like I couldn't study or do my homework.
"I woke up at night and just started crying because of this problem.
"When I saw everyone looking at this video I felt ashamed of myself and why it happened. I was really upset about that."
The video of the incident, which happened at Almondbury Community School in Huddersfield on October 25, has been viewed millions of times online and has provoked outrage and prompted wellwishers to set up an online crowdfunding page for him.
ITV News

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:42 am

'Rip-off' 118 calls spark price crackdown

he price of a call to directory inquiries will be capped at £3.65 for 90 seconds.
Phone industry regulator Ofcom said it is responding to a "steep" rise in prices.
The most popular service, 118 118, charges £11.23 for a 90 second call, the regulator said.
The number of calls being made to 118 services has been falling by 40% a year, but more than a million people a year still use the service.
Many of those using 118 services are elderly, Ofcom said.
People aged over 65 are four times more likely to call 118 numbers than those aged between 16 and 34. They are also "significantly" less likely to have internet access, meaning they cannot search for a number online.
"Directory inquiry prices have risen in recent years, and callers are paying much more than they expect. Our evidence shows this is hurting people, with some struggling to pay their bills," said Jane Rumble, Ofcom's director of consumer policy.
The regulator found that some providers are charging almost £20 for a 90-second call.
Although there are cheaper services, customers tend to call the numbers they can most easily remember, Ofcom's study found.
Ofcom based the cap on its own research into what customers expected to pay.
It also used prices in 2012 as a reference. That was the year of its previous review, which found "little evidence" of people paying more than expected.

BBC News

There's only one word to describe that charge - DISGUSTING! To think at one time directory enquiries used to be free. So much for permitting other providers into the equation in the interests of so-called 'competition'. The effect has been the exact opposite. I would never even use the cheapest one, whatever that one is.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by morty1753 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:16 am

I must admit I was shocked when I heard how much was being charged by 118 118. It really is disgusting.

i think even the £3.65 it will be capped at is way too much just for giving out a number.
I before E except after C - That's weird

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:40 pm

'My mum's funeral costs were extortionate'

A church treasurer said she was shocked by the extortionate cost of her mother's funeral - and immediately saved hundreds of pounds by searching for a better price.
Chris Harvey said she was quoted more than £4,000, even though family members could walk to the church.
The £2bn funeral services sector now faces a major investigation.
The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) said it had "serious concerns" about above-inflation price rises.
Mrs Harvey said her mother, Phyllis Harvey, died nearly two years ago. She told the hospice where her mother died that she was likely to use the same local funeral director that she had used when her father died years earlier.
Only later did she discover the business had become part of the Dignity chain. She was unhappy that they appeared to be initially unaware of where her mother's body was being held.
She was also shocked by the cost, when she eventually found out how much it would be, describing it as extortionate.
"We could just walk to the church, so it was an extraordinary amount of money," Mrs Harvey said.
As a church treasurer herself, she knew that relatively little of that money went to the church. She looked on her phone for a better price with another funeral director and said she saved £1,400 and received "a better service". The family donated those savings to the hospice where Phyllis had been looked after before her death.
Mrs Harvey said she was pleased with the CMA investigation: "They should be more transparent about prices. People do not want to talk about it, but it is important."
BBC News

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:42 pm

Rail regulator orders Network Rail to improve performance

The rail regulator has ordered Network Rail, which manages tracks and other infrastructure, to improve its performance
The Office of Rail and Road (ORR) said punctuality and reliability on the UK's rail network were at their worst for five years.
If Network Rail fails to comply with the ORR's demands it could be fined.
Network Rail's boss said it took responsibility for its part in poor train service reliability.
It is the first time in a decade that the ORR has issued such an order against publicly-owned Network Rail.
The regulator said extreme weather and problems implementing the May 2018 timetable had contributed to the poor performance.
It said the recent disruption on the railways had not always been Network Rail's fault. However, it added, there were concerns about Network Rail's ability to restore services in a timely fashion, after problems had occurred.
The announcement follows a series of recent independent reviews into train performance, which have highlighted many areas where Network Rail, and some train companies, must improve.
The ORR is demanding that Network Rail work more closely with train operators to address the findings of the reviews into performance on the network.
It has ordered Network Rail to report back by mid-February and outline how it will improve its ability to recover services after there are incidents on the network.
BBC News

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:20 am

Want to shop online? Best have a mobile signal

As millions start their Christmas shopping online, there's a warning that consumers may need to have a mobile phone, and a decent signal, to make sure their transactions go through.
UK banks are starting to introduce a new layer of security, involving passwords sent to your mobile phone.
That could be a problem for hundreds of thousands of householders without a mobile, or no proper signal.
Now banks are being urged to find other ways to check a customer's identity.
The new rules are part of an EU directive - already adopted by the UK - which is due to come into force by September 2019.
But critics say many people are likely to be inconvenienced.
"Banks are not yet great at looking after people at the margins - because they're disabled, or because they live with no mobile coverage," said James Daley, the managing director of Fairer Finance.
"These systems are designed for the 95% - while the remaining 5% are hung out to dry."
BBC News

seagull
Bronze member
Bronze member
Male/Female: female

Post by seagull » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:14 am

Your funeral subject trig.similar thing,you can get basic one 1500quid and do the rest yourself.It subject I really worried about .i wanted get my daughter insured but told firmly not to asked about burial plan they down right robbery so asked my son when day comes would he pay for her.Sadly I will outlive my daughter

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:59 pm

HS2 chairman expects to be sacked after Crossrail delays

Crossrail, which is London's £15bn project connecting landmarks like Heathrow Airport and Canary Wharf, is delayed and is due to open nine months after its scheduled launch. It is also almost £600m over budget.
The chairman of the HS2 rail programme, Britain's biggest infrastructure project, has told BBC News he expects to be sacked in the coming days.
Sir Terry Morgan, who only took up the role four months ago, has also been involved in London's Crossrail project for the past decade.
Speaking to PM on Radio 4 he said there was disappointment at Westminster about the delays affecting Crossrail.
HS2 is the government's £55.7bn planned high-speed rail network.
It will connect London to Birmingham and to Manchester and Leeds.
Critics of the project say it will damage the environment and is too expensive.
Asked why he thinks he is being forced out, Sir Terry said: "I can only assume that because HS2 is such a critically important programme and with the sense of disappointment around the performance of Crossrail, that it was considered to be too risky for a programme like HS2 to continue in my role as chairman."
He said he had "mixed feelings" - including a "sense of responsibility or contribution to the position in terms of Crossrail".
And he said he was "disappointed" that he no longer had the opportunity to give his experience and knowledge to HS2.
He said HS2 is a "fantastic programme that has huge potential" - but it will be a big challenge to deliver it. But it did not have the "same difficulties" as completing the Crossrail work, he added.

Full article

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:56 am

Scalpel blades found taped to children's slide in Ormskirk

Scalpel and razor blades have been found taped to the sides of a slide in a children's play area.
They were found stuck to play equipment at the Winifred Lane play area in Aughton, near Ormskirk, Lancashire Police said on Facebook.
Doreen Stephenson, a councillor for Aughton Park, labelled the culprits a "disgrace", adding: "It's quite frightening to think what the consequences could be."
Police urged "everyone to be vigilant".
Ms Stephenson said: "I can't believe anybody would stoop so low to do something like this in a public children's play area.
"It's an absolute disgrace."

Police urged parents to "check any play equipment before you let your child use it".
"Whoever did this could have caused serious injury to a child - please be assured we are fully investigating this matter," they added.
Another local ward councillor, David Westley, said the park was run by the parish council and they would be passing any useful CCTV footage on to police.
He added: "I'm absolutely horrified. It's impossible to comprehend why anyone would do such a thing."
People commenting on the police Facebook post branded the vandals "disgusting", "sick" and "horrible".

BBC Lancashire

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:21 am

Woman killed 'leaning out of train window' between Bath and Bristol

A woman killed on a train may have been leaning out of a window when she suffered a blow to the head, police said.
She died after sustaining serious head injuries on a Bristol Temple Meads-bound service, between Bath and Keynsham.
Police said the woman's death, at about 22:10 GMT on Saturday, was not being treated as suspicious.
The Rail Accident Investigation Branch has been informed.
A British Transport Police statement said: "We were called at around 10.10pm following a report a woman had received serious head injuries while travelling on a train between Bath and Keynsham."
It continued: "Initial inquiries suggest the woman may have been leaning out of a window when she suffered a blow to the head.
"Officers are currently working to confirm her identity and inform her next of kin."

BBC Bristol

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:45 am

NatWest fraud victim refunded £20,000

A NatWest customer who was defrauded of £20,000 while he was in hospital following a violent mugging in December 2017 has been refunded by the bank.
The man, who was then 19, was found unconscious in a London park by a dog walker after being attacked and robbed.
When he came round in hospital 12 hours later, thieves had spent about £20,000 on his stolen debit card, but NatWest refused to refund him.
After BBC Watchdog Live investigated, the bank reversed its decision.
It also apologised for a "lack of clarity" in its original ruling.
The customer, Arthur, has requested his surname is not made public to protect his privacy.
He told the programme's presenter, Steph McGovern: "It's destroyed my life. It's made me feel like I am the criminal and I feel I have been accused of fraud.
"I ended up in hospital. I could very easily have died that night - why would I put myself through that?"
BBC

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:52 am

Funeral firms 'took advantage of grief', says Co-op boss

The boss of the UK's largest funeral provider, the Co-op Group, has admitted the industry has taken advantage of people's grief in the past.
Steve Murrells said price wasn't on the agenda for people arranging a funeral - which created "the wrong behaviour in the industry".
Last week, the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) launched a major investigation into the sector.
The CMA said it had "serious concerns" about above-inflation price rises.
The Co-op has recently launched a number of affordable products, including a cremation without ceremony product, which Steve Murrells says is already proving popular.
"One in 30 of our funerals are already being taken up in that form," he said.
BBC

There's also an article on this subject in the Mail's Money Mail