The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 13th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 21st March 2024 at 5:07pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

2018 Entertainment News

A place to post any interesting news topics
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

2018 Entertainment News

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:07 pm

I thought it might be worthwhile having a specific topic dedicated to any news relating to the entertainment industry.
It's a shame though that the first item to be posted happens to be an obituary.

Icelandic composer Jóhann Jóhannsson, who won a Golden Globe for his score to the film The Theory of Everything, has died aged 48, his manager says.
Mr Jóhannsson was found dead at his apartment in Berlin. The cause of death is not yet clear.
His music merged classical orchestral sounds with electronica. In addition to his film work, Mr Jóhannsson released several solo albums.
The world of music and film has been paying tribute.
Mr Jóhannsson received Oscar nominations for his work associated with Denis Villeneuve's 2015 crime drama Sicario and a Grammy nomination for the 2016 alien thriller Arrival.
When he was nominated for an award for The Theory of Everything, a 2014 film depicting the early life of physicist Stephen Hawking, Mr Jóhannsson said that it was a "challenge to do justice to the scope of the film".
In an interview with the site Collider at the time, the composer said that he opted for "pure orchestral expression" for the film, adding that this was "a new thing for me and something that I enjoyed".
On Saturday Mr Jóhannsson's manager, Tim Husom, said that he had "lost my friend, who was one of the most talented musicians and intelligent people I knew".

Full report
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 2018 Entertainment News

Post by Trigger » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:10 pm

Have been watching a most interesting and enjoyable UK nature series “Hugh’s Wild West” about the wildlife of the West Country
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09m8l63. In the latest episode he was in the Forest of Den with to watch Wild Pigs with an expert. They came across a group with 2 sows and16 piglets; Hugh filmed on his new video camera, then went to view the results and realised he’d been so intent on watching the screen that he forgot press the Record Button! Of course, I’ve never done that! :roll:
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:46 pm

With respect, isn't that post something for the 'What weve watched on TV' topic, rather than 'news', Trigger?

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:22 pm

Alan Partridge is returning to live TV as the host of a weekday magazine show - 25 years after making his BBC debut.

See article here.
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:16 pm

Vic Damone, renowned American crooner, dies aged 89

The popular singer and actor was known for hits including You’re Breaking My Heart, On the Street Where You Live and An Affair to Remember from the 1957 movie of the same title, starring Cary Grant. Frank Sinatra once said Damone had “the greatest pipes in the business”.

Full article here.
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:36 pm

Little Mix singer criticised for wearing dreads

Some social media users are demanding Little Mix member Jesy Nelson delete an Instragram post of herself wearing her hair in dreadlocks.
The 26-year-old singer unveiled her new hairstyle on Monday evening, but some followers on Instagram suggested the picture was offensive to black people.
Nelson was accused of "cultural appropriation" and there were calls for her to apologise.
The post has also received over 191,000 likes and many positive comments.
Among the fierce debate in response to the picture, Instagram poster sophia_mohamed addressed the star directly: "Jesy, hun, I love you, but please take this down or write an apology. It may have not been thought about at the time, but this is cultural appropriation.
"I'm not hating and you do look beautiful, but this hairstyle isn't meant for you."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43126568

I think this is taking political correctness too far. Maybe these people don't know that 'dreads' go back much further than modern-day black culture.
Origins and History of dreadlocks

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:55 pm

boatbuilder wrote:Little Mix singer criticised for wearing dreads
...and I think all them punks with Mohican/Mohawk haircuts should be ashamed of themselves too :lol: :lol:
My Flickr pictures look here

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:16 pm

'Vicar of Dibley' actress Emma Chambers dies aged 53, agency confirms

British actress Emma Chambers has died aged 53, her agency has confirmed.
Known for playing Alice Tinker in the BBC's The Vicar of Dibley, the Doncaster-born star also had roles in Notting Hill and the TV adaptation of Martin Chuzzlewit.
Her agency said Chambers, who died from natural causes on Wednesday evening, would be "greatly missed".
It said: "Emma created a wealth of characters and an immense body of work. She brought laughter and joy to many".
Chambers is survived by her husband, fellow actor Ian Dunn.
She played the character of Alice Tinker, a village church verger, in The Vicar of Dibley between 1994 and 2007, alongside Dawn French in the title role.
In 1998, she won the British Comedy Award for best TV actress for her performance. The following year she appeared as Honey in Notting Hill, the younger sister of Hugh Grant's character, William Thacker.

BBC report

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:06 pm

Very funny lady and a very early death far too young
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:15 pm

Jeremy Clarkson to host new episodes of 'Who Wants To Be a Millionaire?'

Jeremy Clarkson will trade cars for quizzing as the new host of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? when the game show returns later this year.
Millionaire, which was originally presented by Chris Tarrant, is returning for seven new episodes to air across one week in honour of its 20th anniversary.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:07 pm

Swiss pianist gives concert on ice in northern Baltic Sea

Swiss pianist Gabriel Arnold has given a concert on the frozen surface of the Gulf of Bothnia, in the northern reaches of the Baltic Sea.
The recital, attended by tourists on an icebreaker, is part of Arnold's tour of Finland.
He has performed in other "special places", like the Swiss Alps and the Seven Sisters cliffs in southern England.

VIDEO

muzzy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by muzzy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:14 am

I'm sure that by the end of the concert, the majority of the tourists were rather chilled out...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:50 am

muzzy wrote:I'm sure that by the end of the concert, the majority of the tourists were rather chilled out...
I guess they might have 'finnished-off' a few 'Terva Snapsi' (schnapps made from tar!) to help keep out the cold. :D drinker1

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:55 pm

Katie Boyle: Former TV personality dies aged 91

Former Eurovision Song Contest host Katie Boyle has died at her home aged 91, her agent has said.
Lady Saunders, a TV personality and game show panellist, began her 60-year career as a model before becoming an actress and a BBC continuity announcer.
She hosted Eurovision four times between 1960 and 1974 and she also hosted the Ivor Novello music awards.
She also had a radio show "Katie and Friends", on BBC Radio 2 and an agony aunt column for the TV Times magazine.
Her later life was devoted to support for animal charities and she was a committee member of Battersea Dogs Home for more than 25 years.

Full story

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:29 pm

It was sad to read that the actor Bill Maynard has died in hospital, aged 89, following a fall from a Mobility scooter in which he broke his hip.

One thing I didn't know before reading the report below was that he came second in the British heat of the Eurovision Song Contest in the first year the UK participated - 1957.

I think I'll remember him for the smile he always seemed to have on his face.

Report and Obituary

Image: Press Association