The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Maybe we should all go around naked!

A place to post any interesting news topics
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Maybe we should all go around naked!

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:04 am

'Did you know that every time you do your washing you could be contributing to the world's plastic problem?
Take a look at your clothes labels. If they contain some sort of man-made fibres then studies show your clothes wash could be threatening the world's seas.'

The above is the opening lines of this news report that has just made the BBC website under the heading

Is my washing to blame for the plastic problem?

The article continues...

But there are ways of reducing the damage. Here are some of the options.
When you do laundry, synthetic clothes shed tiny threads which end up in the water - about 700,000 fibres in a single domestic wash.
Less than a millimetre in length, the microfibres then make their way into the waterways and seas.
The worst offenders are polyester, acrylic and nylon.
A polyester fleece jacket releases 1,000,000 fibres per wash, according to one study, while a pair of nylon socks is responsible for 136,000 fibres.
Scientists from the University of Manchester found those fibres are littering riverbeds across the UK.
Research highlighted by MPs this week shows they end up being eaten by fish and other aquatic creatures, ultimately ending up in the food chain.
Earlier this year, scientists found fibres, including strands of underwear, in every sample of mussels they tested in British seawaters or bought from UK supermarkets.
Another study, from the University of Exeter, found microfibres in the environment altered animals' behaviour.

Is there anything I can do?
Well if you've always hated laundry, here's your excuse not to do it. Otherwise, there are some changes you can make:
  • ■ Wash at a low temperature. Higher temperatures result in more fibres being released.
    ■ Fill up your washing machine. Washing a full load results in fewer fibres being released as there is less friction.
    ■ Aim for shorter washes - again this reduces the friction between fabrics.
    ■ Use washing liquid instead of powder. The grains of the powder can result in loosening the fibres.
    ■ Spin clothes at lower speeds to reduce chances of fibres loosening.
    ■ Avoid using detergents with a high pH and oxidizing agents. Some fabric softeners also help to reduce friction.
There is, of course, the option of washing your clothes less frequently.
That would have the biggest impact, says Jeroen Dagevos, from ocean conservation project Plastic Soup Foundation.
He also suggests buying fewer synthetic clothes, instead buying natural fabrics such as wool, cotton, linen, silk or cashmere.

You can read the rest HERE

Maybe the answer will have to be we dispense with clothes altogether and go back to the days of Adam and Eve. :D
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Abu Nuwas

Re: Maybe we should all go around naked!

Post by Abu Nuwas » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:27 pm

Heavens to Betsey! 'Brands of underwear' in mussels!
Consistency is the hob-goblin of the small mind

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:53 am

boatbuilder wrote:Earlier this year, scientists found fibres, including strands of underwear, in every sample of mussels they tested in British seawaters or bought from UK supermarkets.
The thought of digesting someone's old Y Fronts the next time I eat a plate of mussels is slightly off putting...but on the positive side, the underwear will be clean if it has come from the washing machine!! ;) :)
My Flickr pictures look here

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:42 pm

I don't see any wrong in being naked
though there are a lot of prudes about. and they tend to get the "law enforcers" on their side even though it is NOT against the law to be naked
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by morty1753 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:58 pm

Bit cold in the winter though.
I before E except after C - That's weird

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:42 pm

You'll be surprised what the human body can endure.
When we were young all the girls wore skirts and had bare legs but they didn't moan (well not to me ) lol
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

catchy
Male/Female: male

Post by catchy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:27 am

Err..... with my body? No thanks. I don't want to scare everyone and anyway it's mostly too cold and some bits I really do need to keep warm.