The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Magnolia - or not a Magnolia?

This is the place for all your topics relative to gardening and horticulture. Let's hope it grows!
Forum rules
You must be the copyright holder of any images and videos posted in these pages or have the permission of the copyright holder to display them.
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Magnolia - or not a Magnolia?

Post by Trigger » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:04 am

I noticed this blossom on a tree yesterday (Everitt’s Park). The flower shape suggests to me, the Magnolia family. Checking appropriate sites, Magnolia stellata seems to fit the bill; however, according to the BBC’s gardening site, the tree is described as “growing slowly into a rounded bush 3m (10ft) when mature.” The tree was about10-12ft tall, and somewhat spindly. Which doesn’t fit the description
Any suggestions?
Attachments
IMG_0021_05.jpg
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Re: Magnolia - or not a Magnolia?

Post by Suffolkboy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:40 am

Definitely a Magnolia,they are beginning to bloom around Norwich. Always a spectacular site even without the leaves. There are other varieties,one coming to mind is the Magnolia stellata 'Royal Star.
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: Magnolia - or not a Magnolia?

Post by Trigger » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:23 am

Thanks for info - Guessed it was a Magnolia (I'm getting good!) - and I just wanted to confirm that it was a member of that family.
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking